IF the Sabres trade Jack and Sam...

LabattBlue

36 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

I would, he looked great in the World Juniors last year. Long Island kid too.

Casey Mittlestadt at WJ great or Alex Nylander at WJ great?

8 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

Never thought there'd be talk of trading Eichel.  What a ***** ***** show.

Talk.  This ***** is imminent. 

6 minutes ago, inkman said:

Casey Mittlestadt at WJ great or Alex Nylander at WJ great?

He’s tied for the most Team USA points all time, if memory serves he has a better WJC record than McDavid also. Watching him and Cozens in the Gold game was a treat, for them to be on the same team would be electric. I wouldn’t even miss Jack that’s how excited I would be. 

Edited by I-90 W

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

If it was up to me, I'd look for a one-for-one. We take a hit for the sins of the organization, as the player we get back won't be as good, but it allows us to field a competitive team, still, and if the organization has learned from their mistakes and has a great offseason, rather than taking a step back to rebuild, fans may be able to live with, say, Mark Scheifele lined up at 1C instead of Jack. Call up Winnipeg and ask them for that deal, they probably say yes. 

To me, that's much preferable to a grab bag of "maybes", prospects and picks. We'd be getting a true 1C back. Make them take Risto, too, and add Morrissey, a player who looked really good, but took a step back. Maybe make up some ground, there. 

Eichel Risto for Scheifele Morrissey

Keep Sam, or make it a huge blockbuster and switch him with one of their wingers. 

The only 1-1 I would consider that could maybe get done is Barkov but I don't know why they do that.

Just now, #freejame said:

The only 1-1 I would consider that could maybe get done is Barkov but I don't know why they do that.

Why in the world would they?  He is basically as good as Eichel and his neck isn’t all jacked up.  I don’t think a 1 for 1 is a very viable route.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Not the ducks  

but if they are willing.  I say yes 

if you are unsure about Zegras. Just go watch a few of his NHL games. 

After being fully into watching the world juniors this year, having both Cozens and Zegras would be a nice core for the future. 

Edited by JoeSchmoe
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

After being fully into watching the world juniors this year, having both Cozens and Zegras would be a nice core for the future. 

Of course I have nothing to base this on but I’m guessing Zegras would be a non starter for the Ducks.  

for the first time ever, I’m clearly on board with trading Eichel as long as a genuine elite prospect is coming back.  It’s a short list 

Byfield, Kakko; Zegras, Dach, Caufield.  
im sure there’s a couple of more but not many 

Just now, Crusader1969 said:

Of course I have nothing to base this on but I’m guessing Zegras would be a non starter for the Ducks.  

for the first time ever, I’m clearly on board with trading Eichel as long as a genuine elite prospect is coming back.  It’s a short list 

Byram should be up there. 

21 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

There are a lot more.  Newhook, Krebs, Lafreniere, Drysdale, Askarov, Knight, Lundell, Jarvis, Holloway, maybe a couple other young D.

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

They go from a potential center spine of Eichel-Reinhart-Cozens-Mitts to Cozens-Mitts-xxxx-xxxx. 

Two players not ready for Top Six Minutes, this won’t be fun 

If they've learned anything those two won't be logging top six minutes at center on their own. They'll have maybe one of them on the second line at center but you've got to get another body, ideally a young vet in one of the deals, that slides in right away. A guy like Sean Monahan.

21 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

They go from a potential center spine of Eichel-Reinhart-Cozens-Mitts to Cozens-Mitts-xxxx-xxxx. 

Two players not ready for Top Six Minutes, this won’t be fun 

They'll go right back to where they were when Eichel took over 1C from ROR because Mitts was ready to be a 2/3C after 6 games in the NHL. Eichel was still a one-way 2C, MoJo wasn't a C at all... and Angry Larry was fine as the 4.

This time: Cozens isn't even a center yet, Mitts is a 3, and our 4 is Eakin instead of Larsson.

19 minutes ago, Hoss said:

If they've learned anything those two won't be logging top six minutes at center on their own. They'll have maybe one of them on the second line at center but you've got to get another body, ideally a young vet in one of the deals, that slides in right away. A guy like Sean Monahan.

They've been spinning our GMs and coaches faster than they can pay them off to work. I would say they should unlearn what they've learned, but it's doubtful they've learned anything.

8 hours ago, rickshaw said:

Realistically they should move Jack, Sam and Risto but part of me feels like these guys should want to fix this and they shouldn’t move them. I’m all over the place. 

But we can’t be much worse by moving them. They’ve clearly not been good enough as a core to push them to the playoffs. And they can say what they want but they were paid big $ and didn’t get it done and nobody can sugarcoat that, especially them. 

Agree 100% . We need to change the culture once and for all! Management needs to take a stand and say if your not proud to put the Buffalo Sweater on then we don’t want you. McDermott and Beane apply this philosophy and it’s worked for the Bills. Eichel has been the most disappointing Captain in Sabres history in my humble opinion. When he was healthy he was unable to elevate the status of his surrounding teammates. Isn’t that was great players do....are we not paying him great player money? I hope the door doesn’t hit him in the ARSsss on the way out.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Der Jaeger said:

I'd move both to the Western Conference, if I could.  Keep the East clear of them.

Eichel to LA seems to work.  Turcotte would fit in perfectly with the type of team that finished out the season.  Something like Turcotte, Vilardi, Bjornfot, and a 2021 1st.  That's the "4 1sts" Adams reportedly wants for Eichel.

Reinhart to Vancouver, Calgary, or maybe Seattle post-expansion draft.  See what Seattle picks up.  They won't get anyone as good as Reinhart, for sure, but they might have some nice pieces.

Projecting, something like Bellows, Kunin, and a 2nd.

Yeah, I’d definitely talk to Seattle.  They’d have more flexibility in building their team.  You’d think they’d jump at a deal for Eichel to start their team with instead of relying on a bunch of fading veterans and unproven youngsters. 

I was reading Ranger fans talking about Eichel and to a man, they don't want him. They call him an expensive, injury-prone crybaby. It occurs to me after all this, maybe nobody wants Eichel?

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Curt said:

Why in the world would they?  He is basically as good as Eichel and his neck isn’t all jacked up.  I don’t think a 1 for 1 is a very viable route.

Sure it is. But there's a trade off - if we trade 1 for 1, it'll probably be not for a guy like Barkov who is almost as good, it'll be for a really good player, but one where there is clear separation (an example being Scheifele (on the plus side, that contract would be swell). 

So it comes down to whether you want a certain 1C, but one that's certainly a step down from Jack, or if you want to try and acquire a bundle of futures where, maybe one of the assets or more becomes as good or better than Scheifele, or whoever the player is, but there's also a risk none of them come close. Timeline is also a factor. 

Does one favor certainly, with the cost of potential, or does one value potential, at the cost of certainty. I lean towards the former - this franchise needs as much of a sure thing as it can get, imo. The less guesswork and evaluation this particular management group has to put in, the better. I don't trust them. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, I-90 W said:

I want immediate serviceable players, no lottery tickets. After we move Jack and Sam, when the dust settles, there needs to be tried and true 1C and 1RW standing. 

I'm with you. 

I've said it a million times, @Taro T just said it: The GM will take the longest road to contention possible if it's allowed. Job security is the focus. If they can push back expectations in the name of another "rebuild", they'll do it. It's so, so much easier to sell the future than it is to actually build it. 

I'm sure KA would love it if all that was expected of him next year is to field a team that "makes progress". 

Another good point is that we cannot subject Cozens, Mitts, Dahlin, and Olof through rebuild 2.0. It will put too much pressure on them and suck their love of the game out of them like everyone else who has been here. We need a big haul in the worst way. Think that’s our only hope. Hopefully KA can stumble into a great return like the Pegula’s seemingly did with the Bills hirings and drafting (I don’t follow NFL so could be wrong).

Edited by I-90 W
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

Another good point is that we cannot subject Cozens, Mitts, Dahlin, and Olof through rebuild 2.0. It will put too much pressure on them and suck their love of the game out of them like everyone else who has been here. We need a big haul in the worst way. Think that’s our only hope. Hopefully KA can stumble into a great return like the Pegula’s seemingly did with the Bills hirings and drafting (I don’t follow NFL so could be wrong).

The only real argument I've seen for electing to trade Jack is, "well, haven't won with him, so why not". As soon as we put together another below-standard team, that mentality just shifts over to the other valuable assets we have, next. 

If we never succeed in building an actual team around the few good pieces we have, the good pieces we have will continue to be devalued in the eyes of fans and their asset value squandered. 

Edited by Thorny

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The only real argument I've seen for electing to trade Jack is, "well, haven't won with him, so why not". As soon as we put together another below-standard team, that mentality just shifts over to the other valuable assets we have, next. 

If we never succeed in building an actual team around the few good pieces we have, the good pieces we have will continue to be devalued in the eyes of fans and their asset value squandered. 

I can see the logic behind what you’re saying, but I don’t think KA has much of a choice at this point. If he doesn’t move Jack I think the Eichel camp will outright demand a trade in public (explicitly) and that would just be such a bad look. I think Jack is being traded no matter what at this point. Possibly Sam too.