2022 NHL Draft Rankings

Buffalonill

The draft rankings are all over the place once you go down to 3rd tier players.

Some have Nazar going top 10, others have him in the 20's.   You see players up and down the different rankings more so than any other year.

Unless Nazar is at 16 , I can see us going Russian with Miroschichenko though.

Thanks, my dad is recovering well but it has been a long couple of months.

Rutger Mcgroarty can't skate well. If the Stanley Cup has shown you anything it is that fast can beat heavy. I love who he is and the other skills but you have to be willing as a team to spend lengthy time fixing his skating. I would probably take him over Geekie but below Gaucher if I am looking for skilled heavy forward with a flaw. Sometime in the 20s feels right.

Mirochnichenko might be worth the moderate risk of taking a player with a health history and Russian background with our second first round pick. If I knew he would still be on the board with our last first round pick, that would even be better. But it is less likely he would still be available at that later point.  From what I have read he was considered a top ten talent before dealing with cancer. 

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Mirochnichenko might be worth the moderate risk of taking a player with a health history and Russian background with our second first round pick. If I knew he would still be on the board with our last first round pick, that would even be better. But it is less likely he would still be available at that later point.  From what I have read he was considered a top ten talent before dealing with cancer. 

Miroshnichenko of course has the health concerns, but I would not worry about any “Russian Factor” issues with him.  I get the impression that he is fully focused on playing in the North America ASAP.  He actually tried to come over to play in USHL for his draft year but had a visa snafu that held it up. I don’t think he is a guy who is going to just stay in Russia until age 22-23-24.

• Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Curt said:

Miroshnichenko of course has the health concerns, but I would not worry about any “Russian Factor” issues with him.  I get the impression that he is fully focused on playing in the North America ASAP.  He actually tried to come over to play in USHL for his draft year but had a visa snafu that held it up. I don’t think he is a guy who is going to just stay in Russia until age 22-23-24.

Do you think he would be worth taking with our second pick in the first round? 

15 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Do you think he would be worth taking with our second pick in the first round? 

Depends on a lot of things.  Who else is available at that pick, how does the medical staff evaluate the risks of his cancer.  I’d say he is worth consideration there.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Rutger Mcgroarty can't skate well. If the Stanley Cup has shown you anything it is that fast can beat heavy. I love who he is and the other skills but you have to be willing as a team to spend lengthy time fixing his skating. I would probably take him over Geekie but below Gaucher if I am looking for skilled heavy forward with a flaw. Sometime in the 20s feels right.

I obviously missed something here.

Best wishes to your dad and the whole family.

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I would usually agree with you on "skating and speed" but I see a player that's going to overcome that with his work ethic like players like  tavares, draisaitl, point

30 year old grigorenko is  different had all the skill but no work ethic

Edited by Buffalonill
  • Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Going up the ranking charts becoming the next big thing .

Yeah, he is not dissimilar in that aspect, but that’s not unique to failed prospects, and it’s not the reason that Glennie failed to become a good NHL player.  Glennie could not stay healthy.  Lots of prospects rise in the draft rankings over the course of their draft season and lots of them turn into successful players.

3 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

I would usually agree with you on "skating and speed" but I see a player that's going to overcome that with his work ethic like players like  tavares, draisaitl, point

Totally agree. No, he's not the best skater out there, but he brings other things we could use. We've already drafted for speed, and we will draft for more speed, but we need to build a complete team and I could see him being a big part of that. He won't be there at 28, I'd take him at 16 if he was still there. 

9 hours ago, Curt said:

Essentially, all of the media types who cover the draft are hearing from their league/team sources that he will go very high.  NHL teams project him to be a C, so you are looking at a 6’3” 200lb C who skates well, is fairly physical, and has a great shot.  It’s the type of package that someone is going to draft high.

Savoie has seemed to drop and I expect him to be available at 9.  Beyond that it’s pretty unpredictable.

I figured you might say Savoie. If he did drop I think I'd take him at 9. Rather have Gauthier, but I'm taking Savoie ahead of Ohgren and the others ranked in the low teens. 

46 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Totally agree. No, he's not the best skater out there, but he brings other things we could use. We've already drafted for speed, and we will draft for more speed, but we need to build a complete team and I could see him being a big part of that. He won't be there at 28, I'd take him at 16 if he was still there. 

I figured you might say Savoie. If he did drop I think I'd take him at 9. Rather have Gauthier, but I'm taking Savoie ahead of Ohgren and the others ranked in the low teens. 

Yeah, you don’t pass on a talent like Savoie if he falls.

Edited by Flashsabre

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Yeah, I don’t know what’s going to happen, but from what media/scout people are saying it seems like Savoie will probably fall.

I like Savoie or Nazar as a pick because I think Buffalo does need to add more dynamic offense to the lineup and PP.  Quinn, Peterka, and hopefully Rosen could add some but I think they need another potential high end offense guy.

If Sabres could get Savoie at 9 and Ohgren, Kasper, or McGroarty at 16, I’d be tickled pink.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Curt said:

Yeah, I don’t know what’s going to happen, but from what media/scout people are saying it seems like Savoie will probably fall.

I like Savoie or Nazar as a pick because I think Buffalo does need to add more dynamic offense to the lineup and PP.  Quinn, Peterka, and hopefully Rosen could add some but I think they need another potential high end offense guy.

If Sabres could get Savoie at 9 and Ohgren, Kasper, or McGroarty at 16, I’d be tickled pink.

I guess size is working against Savoie, but he is extremely talented. I could see the Flyers picking him up (they have Briere in their front office after all :)) or Detroit. Hard to say. Can't disagree with the last line, assuming Gautheir isn't there at 9. 

Conor Geekie slides further and further for me. His reports make me question him, his tape makes me feel very meh, and this quote causes me a lot of concern considering his motor is questionable in the first 2 parts.

He calls letting go of baseball to pursue hockey one of the hardest things he’s ever had to do.

“I played every sport I could growing up because if everyone didn’t play, the town didn’t have a team. But baseball was my passion. And baseball started when I was really young. I loved it and everyone knows how hard it is letting something you love go,” Conor said.

At the combine in Buffalo, Conor told teams that he still plays a little senior baseball in the offseason and doesn’t plan to stop.

https://theathletic.com/3310650/2022/06/15/conor-geekie-2022-nhl-draft/

Now this seems innocuous to most I am sure, but I don't want someone at #16 that calls baseball their passion when I have motor questions already.

Edited by LGR4GM
spelling

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Conor Geekie slides further and further for me. His reports make me question him, his tape makes me feel very meh, and this quote causes me a lot of concern considering his motor is questionable in the first 2 parts.

Now this seems innocuous to most I am sure, but I don't want someone at #16 that calls baseball their passion when I have motor questions already.

Imagine when they draft him 9th😜

https://hockeyprospect.com/2022-nhl-draft-rankings/

HockeyProspect’s Black Book is considered the Gold Standard for draft guides but they have been a mess this year with their rankings. At one point they had Chelsey at #2 and now not even in the first. Their last ranking they had Geekie #2 now he is #23. I didn’t agree with him at #2 but if you rank him there and then drop him to #23 when his game didn’t change to end the year then it makes the whole thing comical.

Really interested to see how Bobby Mac’s list shakes out. It is usually the best barometer of what teams are thinking.

I have 13 14 ballots so far in my consensus rankings.  All but 2 are final.  I'm waiting on the Hockey News and FC/Sportings News.  I also am waiting on TSN MacKenzie's final list.

Anyway.  Here is where we stand.

Tier 1 - Wright, Cooley Slafkovsky

Tier 2a - Nemec and Jiricek; 2b Kemell and Savoie

Tier 3 - Lekkermaki, Gauthier,  Nazar, and Yurov (8-11)

Tier 4 - Korchinski, Mateychuk, Lambert, and Mintyukov

Tier 5 - Geekie, Kasper and McGroarty  (16-18) - no way Kasper actually lasts this long IMHO. 

Tier 6 - Ohgren, Kulich, Howard, Miroschniichenko, and Ostlund

Tier 7 - Firkus, Mesar, Snuggerud, Pickering

Tier 8 - Bichsel, Gaucher, Del Bel Belluz, Chesley (28-31)

Tier 9 - Odelius, Hutson, Luneau, Beck and Casey

Tier 10 - Goyette, Nelson, Hughes;

Tier 11 - Trikozov, Perevalov, Havelid  (40-42)

Tier 12 -  Bystedt, Zhilkin, Rinzel, Salomonsson

With this update 

It looks to me like the pick at 9 comes down to Savoie, Gauthier, Nazar.  I'd even consider Kasper here.

16 looks like Kasper or Kulich, or one the talented LHDs

28 - If we grab a D at 16, I'd like Snuggerud at 28, Chesley also is a solid RHD

41 - Expect someone to slide.  Casey, Luneau, Havelid are all good RHDs.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I have 13 ballots so far in my consensus rankings.  All but 2 are final.  I'm waiting on the Hockey News and FC/Sportings News.  I also am waiting on TSN MacKenzie's final list.

Anyway.  Here is where we stand.

Tier 1 - Wright, Cooley Slafkovsky

Tier 2a - Nemec and Jiricek; 2b Kemell and Savoie

Tier 3 - Lekkermaki, Gauthier, Yurov and Nazar  (8-11)

Tier 4 - Korchinski, Lambert, Mintykov, and Mateychuk

Tier 5 - Geekie, Kasper and McGroarty  (15-17) - no way Kasper actually lasts this long IMHO. 

Tier 6 - Kulich, Ohgren, Miroschniichenko, Howard, Ostlund

Tier 7 - Mesar, Firkus, Snuggerud, Pickering

Tier 8 - Bichsel, Gaucher, Del Bel Belluz, Chesley (27-30)

Tier 9 - Hutson, Odelis, Casey, Luneau, Beck

Tier 10 - Havelid, Goyette, Nelson, Hughes; 10b Tribozov, Perevalov, (40-41)

Tier 11 -  Bystedt, Rinzel, Zhilkin, Salomonsson

With this update 

It looks to me like the pick at 9 comes down to Savoie, Gauthier, Nazar.  I'd even consider Kasper here.

16 looks like Kasper or Kulich, or one the talented LHDs

28 - If we grab a D at 16, I'd like Snuggerud at 28, Chesley also is a solid RHD

41 - Expect someone to slide.  Casey, Luneau, Havelid are all good RHDs.

Hockey News is out now

11 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

https://www.tsn.ca/shane-wright-nhl-draft-prospect-ranking-craig-button-1.1815325

Craig Button’s final rankings are uh interesting.

I think this is a good reminder that some teams, and quite possibly the Sabres, will have internal rankings that are very different than any so called consensus or consolidated ranking. My tendency is to watch the draft and hope a highly ranked player falls to us (ie: Rossi). What is at least as likely is the Sabres will think highly of a lower ranked player and we will be initially perturbed by who we select. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.