2022 NHL Draft Rankings

Buffalonill

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Some of it is because I watched a time when it took legit cloak and dagger efforts to get a player out of there.  Some of it is simple risk avoidance.  We’ve got picks.  Get value out of them, dammit.

By early I mean, get a couple guys in hand before adding risk.

Yeah, I suspect that many have a visceral gut reaction to just shun all Russian prospects because they remember that cloak and dagger area.  I’m not blessed or burdened by those memories.  Although the current situation is a consideration, it’s not stopping players from coming over.

I kind of see the other side of the same coin.  The Sabres don’t currently have an elite forward or a player that projects to be one, but they do have extra picks.  Now might be the time to take some risks in an attempt to get super high end players.

• Like (+1) 2

They took a boom/bust type guy in Rosen last year at #14. Wonder if that will play into #16 this year. If they will play it safe or if they swing for the fences again.

I guess a lot will depend on who they grab at #9. My totally uninformed prediction for #9 is Gauthier or a falling Savoie.

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

They took a boom/bust type guy in Rosen last year at #14. Wonder if that will play into #16 this year. If they will play it safe or if they swing for the fences again.

I guess a lot will depend on who they grab at #9. My totally uninformed prediction for #9 is Gauthier or a falling Savoie.

I might be pushing the case a bit with Poltapov, who also has a bulldog streak, but four of of our past five 1st and 2nd rounders project as scoring wingers.

So it’s with a bit of discomfit when I say the guys who will probably make me happiest at 9 or 16 are also scoring wingers. I think the reason I am gravitating to Gauthier at 9 is because he seems to be where fit and value intersect the best and he adds a grit/power element to his skill.

I have come around to whatever player has the most upside, while also being a perfect fit into the Cozens/Krebs play smart, play fast, team-first mould they’ve been installing, position be damned.

Edited by dudacek

22 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Pronman’s mock draft has the Sabres taking Savoie at #9 and Yurov at #16.

Gauthier at 6 and Pronman stating some scouts are liking him in the top 5.

Looks like the dream of getting him at 9 is going to die early.

29 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Pronman’s mock draft has the Sabres taking Savoie at #9 and Yurov at #16.

And at 32:

32. Buffalo Sabres: Reid Schaefer, LW, Seattle-WHL

Schaefer’s been a name trending in NHL circles in the second half. He’s a big, physical winger who provides some offense and finishing touch and I would say has a 50/50 chance to be a first rounder. He would complement a lot of the skilled guys in the Sabres system with a different style of play.

45 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Gauthier at 6 and Pronman stating some scouts are liking him in the top 5.

Looks like the dream of getting him at 9 is going to die early.

The thought has always been that playoffs are big boy hockey. Big, skilled players make the difference. NHL front offices believe that.

That is why I think both Gauthier and Geekie will be picked before #9.

21 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

The thought has always been that playoffs are big boy hockey. Big, skilled players make the difference. NHL front offices believe that.

That is why I think both Gauthier and Geekie will be picked before #9.

Tampa-Montreal last year and Tampa-Dallas the year before, teams with big tough Dmen. Tampa’s smallest Dman  was McDonagh 6’ 1” 215. I don’t believe it is as important for forwards but I think you need a good mix.

Basic skill is the first ingredient to draft but for playoff survival size is a factor to exact a toll on the other team and to take the punishment.

Fun write-up on C Danny Zhilkin. https://theathletic.com/3310674/2022/05/21/danny-zhilkin-2022-nhl-draft/
He’s not been on my radar at all, but might be an option at 41 or with the FLA 1st pick if, say an Owen Beck, is off the board. He’s played C and D but not wing in the OHL. Was a “move up and down the lineup” for Team Canada 2021 U18 team. He might interesting to consider as a Russian-already-fully-adapted-to-Canada for our 2021 draft class.  

Of other Sabres note, Wheeler is planning an Isak Rosen article later this summer, per his response the comments. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Fun write-up on C Danny Zhilkin. https://theathletic.com/3310674/2022/05/21/danny-zhilkin-2022-nhl-draft/
He’s not been on my radar at all, but might be an option at 41 or with the FLA 1st pick if, say an Owen Beck, is off the board. He’s played C and D but not wing in the OHL. Was a “move up and down the lineup” for Team Canada 2021 U18 team. He might interesting to consider as a Russian-already-fully-adapted-to-Canada for our 2021 draft class.  

Of other Sabres note, Wheeler is planning an Isak Rosen article later this summer, per his response the comments. 

Good article. Read it earlier today. 

I think Slafkovsky is going to be 4th when I'm done. Also I have 2 guys in my top 30 that I hope slide to 41. Love a good September birthday. 

18 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No. 

Grit alone isn't going to win you series. You need talented relentless players. The talent gap between Colorado and Nashville is so large that no amount of "grit" "physicality" "toughness" will make up the difference. Size doesn't equal grit and talent doesn't equal soft. 

Grit might win you a battle here and there but without the corresponding talent to do something (Ristolainen), it doesn't matter. Just like talent without grit (Eichel) doesn't help either. You need a relentless mindset with talent and that's how you win. Cale Makar is a good example. 

Grit is good but not at the sake of talent. Talent can be gritty when it's relentless. 

Talented relentless players are what I plan to look for. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.