2022 NHL Draft Rankings

Buffalonill

The NHL season is close to the halfway point. Standings can change but I believe the Sabres will pick in the 4-8 range with a shot at #1.

The Vegas pick sits around 20 but they have played more games than some teams chasing them. They might get an Eichel bump and how deep of a playoff run affects draft position.

The Florida pick sits at 30 and they are a good team. Playoffs will determine where this pick ends up.

I hate being in this position again but I am a realist. Development of the youth and a great draft will be another step in the right direction.

I long for the season (next year?) where the JAGs are the 13th forward and the 8th Dman. We are getting close.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

The NHL season is close to the halfway point. Standings can change but I believe the Sabres will pick in the 4-8 range with a shot at #1.

The Vegas pick sits around 20 but they have played more games than some teams chasing them. They might get an Eichel bump and how deep of a playoff run affects draft position.

The Florida pick sits at 30 and they are a good team. Playoffs will determine where this pick ends up.

I hate being in this position again but I am a realist. Development of the youth and a great draft will be another step in the right direction.

I long for the season (next year?) where the JAGs are the 13th forward and the 8th Dman. We are getting close.

Even if you include Krebs, Quinn, and JJ, I would say the Sabres need to find another 3 forwards between the 2020-2022 drafts that are contributors not Jags to really start making a push up the standings. Some of them may not contribute until 2024 or 2025 and before ppl bitch this was always the concern with Murray's speed up of the timeline in 2015, that might lack depth in 2019 instead of hitting our stride. 

15 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Wright is on a level with Cozens? I've been hearing about Wright for years it seems like 

From the article:

Projected bubble NHL All-Star and top of the lineup player

1. Shane Wright, C, Kingston (OHL)

Jan. 5, 2004 | 6′ 0.5″ | 185 pounds

Oct. 2021 Ranking: 1

Tier: Projected bubble NHL All-Star and top of the lineup player

Skating: NHL average
Puck skills: NHL average
Hockey sense: NHL average
Compete: Above NHL average
Shot: High-end

Background: Wright is the captain and a top player for a top OHL team in Kingston. He was a top two line center for Canada’s U20 team at the world juniors. He scored 9 goals and 14 points in 5 games at the U18 worlds as a U17 player leading Canada to gold. He was granted exceptional status to play in the OHL as a 15-year-old where he scored 39 goals and 66 points in 58 games.

Analysis: Wright is the top prospect in the 2022 NHL Draft. He’s a very well-rounded center who has no noticeable flaw in his skill set but also does not have a ton about his game that gets you overly excited. He can skate and handle the puck like an NHLer. Wright’s game translates because of his compete and direct style of play. He takes pucks to the net and plays with pace. He can pull up to make a tough pass but he prefers to take pucks to the interior or shoot. His shot is his main weapon and the main reason I think he can become an NHL star, showing the ability to pick corners from long range consistently. Off the puck he’s competitive and responsible, showing maturity beyond his years. He projects as a No. 1 center in the NHL due to his all-around play but probably won’t be an elite scorer in the league.

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Wright is on a level with Cozens? I've been hearing about Wright for years it seems like 

He has been the projected stud for the ‘22 draft for about 3 years now. He is just not generational. Some scouts say his ceiling is Bergeron, which is a great 1C. He has tailed off lately and the gap has closed from the other prospects.

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

So according to Pronman, Wright is the best guy and Wright is also a Cozens-level prospect.

Considering Pronman has Cozens as a 1C, that would be excellent. The odds of us finding that true #1 go WAY up with a double kick at the can. 

McKenzie’s top 20 show is a wrap. Craig Button added some comments. A few takeaways:

1 Wright has dropped in scouts’ eyes, goal scoring is down. 9/10 scouts still have him #1.

2 Cooley is the top challenger for #1, Button says he has him at #2 as well.

3 Kemell has slowed a bit and is injured at the moment.

4 Savoie has high end talent. He was interviewed and compared his game to Braden Point and Matthew Barzal.

5 Slafkovsky has speed and size, a rare combination at the top of this draft.

6 Mirochnichenko has a wide variety of ranking from scouts.

7 Jiricek is out long term but is a two way threat on D.

8 Yurov is hampered by limited minutes in the KHL.

9 Nemec is an offensive D who could go top 5.

10 Geekie is an average skater who plays a heavy game.

11 Lambert has speed to burn but even after a slow start 6/10 scouts rank him top 10.

12 Lekkerimaki

13 Gauthier

14 Nazar

15 Howard

16 Mintyukov is rocketing up the rankings. Russian LHD playing in the OHL.

17 Kasper

18 Chesley

19 Snuggerud

20 Gaucher

• Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/nhl-prospect-notebook-wright-still-no-1-cooley-enters-conversation/

So the other Jack Hughes plays with Levi and is up for the draft. Hughes dad was just named GM of Montreal. The draft is in Montreal. Will dad try to get another 1st to draft his son? Intrigue😀

Anyone on Montreal anyone like most got traded last year.

22 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Elias Salomonsson is a player of interest for that late 1st rounder we will have. I have mentioned him before but he is a RHD that was born August 31st, making him exceedingly young for the draft. Looking at the production, this J20 class in Sweden is actually quite fun on defense. Prior to this there are only 3 defenders with a similar or better profile and the most interesting one is Adam Boqvist who is also an August born RHD from 2018 (#8 overall) and Salomonsson is not on that level, et, but he is within striking distance of those EV1 numbers that Boqvist put up. Now Boqvist is and was billed as a top pairing offensive defender and he is growing into that. Salomonsson isn't getting as much PP time but I think it is worth considering how these two profile similarly (again Boqvist was and is better) but if you can get a player that is in the ballpark of Boqvist at say 32nd overall, I think that is a worthwhile option to consider. 

Elias Salomonsson: 24gp 8g 9a 17pts in the J20. 6'1" 172lb RHD who honestly is getting more talk as his game has improved this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.