2022 NHL Draft Rankings

Buffalonill

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

FYI Josh Bloom who is Seven Months Older has 26 points in 18 games 

Bloom is have a outstanding season but wright  just going through a rough patch .

Scouts will probably play some ***** and  Pick out every single negative thing like they did to Sean Couturier so he doesn't go 1 

4 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Bloom is have a outstanding season but wright  just going through a rough patch .

Scouts will probably play some ***** and  Pick out every single negative thing like they did to Sean Couturier so he doesn't go 1 

Couturier has 96pts in 58 games his draft year and was 4th in the Q in points. 

Wright is tied for 4th in points on his team let alone the entire OHL.

10 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Let them, and have him fall in our laps at 8 🙂 

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/22/2021 at 4:22 PM, Crusader1969 said:

I've been thinking about this today. 

Am i crazy in thinking that I would rather Savoie than Wright?

Wright is undoubtedly a better all round player than Savoie. Wright is a leader and will one day be captain of his NHL team.

However, for the Sabres, I think they could use the guy with the most offensive upside and thats Savoie.

My thinking is that  Cozens checks a lot of the same boxes that Wright does, making Wright redundant to a point.

Here we are a week later and I’m thinking I’m slightly less crazy now than I was then

Could a “healthy” Nolan Patrick be a comparable for Wright ?

3 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Here we are a week later and I’m thinking I’m slightly less crazy now than I was then

Could a “healthy” Nolan Patrick be a comparable for Wright ?

For reference … he is what EP wrote about Patrick in his draft year 

“A highly skilled and all-round player. Patrick has few, if any, holes in his game and stands out in many aspects. His hockey sense and competitiveness is top notch. At the same time he has above average skating, shooting and puck skills. Furthermore, Patrick is a reliable two-way player”

Scored at a clip of 1.4 Pts/gm in his draft year    Wright is at 1.15. So far this year 

13 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

2023 ..

So tank wars 

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b95278c7f08913ebb1ada

If the Sabres "tank" next season...this thing is already over. Might as well get going on the next rebuild, now. 

13 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Couturier has 96pts in 58 games his draft year and was 4th in the Q in points. 

Wright is tied for 4th in points on his team let alone the entire OHL.

I'm disappointed to see Wright's numbers fall. This is a draft where we need it to be loaded with as many good Cs as possible, the more the better, the better they are, the better. 

11 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

For reference … he is what EP wrote about Patrick in his draft year 

“A highly skilled and all-round player. Patrick has few, if any, holes in his game and stands out in many aspects. His hockey sense and competitiveness is top notch. At the same time he has above average skating, shooting and puck skills. Furthermore, Patrick is a reliable two-way player”

Scored at a clip of 1.4 Pts/gm in his draft year    Wright is at 1.15. So far this year 

Wright's inability to score at a 1st OA rate is highly concerning. The WJC will be interesting to see and if that gets him going. It is possible he didn't do enough during the covid break last year and he isn't quite firing on all cylinders but that would almost concern me more. Bloom and Tucker Roberston are only 6 months older than Wright but are either matching his production or in Roberstson's case dropping a 1.79ppg on the OHL. Roberston was undrafted and will get to play with McTavish now so he's going to just pile up all the points. 

The bigger issue is that Wright isn't even the best guy on his team. He is tied for scoring with 3 guys who have played less games and that just seems odd when first rounders like Cozens, Jarvis, Rossi were all at the top of their teams in points and well clear of anyone else. Rossi/Quinn is the only example that came to mind of a really good first rounder being outscored by a teammate (there are others but just thinking out loud at this point). Quinn was simply on a really talented team and that is something to consider. Wright is on a middle of the road team.  You really want to see your guys take over their team in their draft year if possible or at least not being in that middle tier of scoring on the team. 

This comes down to the idea of involvement percentage or how much of a players production contributes to the teams goals. For example Marco Rossi was involved in 40.96% of the 293 goals his team scored, that is awesome. Jack Quinn was involved in 30.38% which is also really good. Shane Wright currently is involved with 29.73% so that just seems less like a lock first overall guy. Now involvement % is not a be all end all and I didn't bother to compensate for games played here but it does give you some insight into who on a team is really driving the offense. Involvement percentage is best waited on until the end of the year and there are good players who have lower inv% that get drafted, I am more using it to compare across OHL players to have a feel for where this person is. On a terrible team, you would still expect a good player to have a high inv% because they are the offensive generators (Seth Jarvis or Peyton Krebs for example). 

Should Wright go first overall? Don't know, it is only December and there are 4 more months of important hockey still to play. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Thorny said:

If the Sabres "tank" next season...this thing is already over. Might as well get going on the next rebuild, now. 

I'm disappointed to see Wright's numbers fall. This is a draft where we need it to be loaded with as many good Cs as possible, the more the better, the better they are, the better. 

Kingston is just horrible a developing players if anything i believe they hold players back untill it clicks later on in the nhl 

1 minute ago, Buffalonill said:

Kingston is just horrible a developing players if anything i believe they hold players back untill it clicks later on in the nhl 

Sam Bennett, Lawson Crouse, Michael Dal Colle, would all help back this up. They seem to lack the ability to create NHL players even when they have talent (although 3 guys is a small sample so could be wrong). 

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Sam Bennett, Lawson Crouse, Michael Dal Colle, would all help back this up. They seem to lack the ability to create NHL players even when they have talent (although 3 guys is a small sample so could be wrong). 

Did these players stagnate in their draft years or after they got drafted?

Bennett for example returned to Kingston briefly and put up 24 points in 11 games

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Well, NHL players that meet expectations. Bennet this season has 8G 5A 13P in 18 games, a pace of a good NHL player, but this is one of his best seasons, and you want more out of 4OA. Crouse has 10p in 23 games on a terrible Arizona team, scoring like an NHLer, but again not what you want out of 11OA. Dal Colle is a bit different, he has played like a jag when he has played, but still played over a hundred games. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Did these players stagnate in their draft years or after they got drafted?

Bennett for example returned to Kingston briefly and put up 24 points in 11 games

I wasn't being clear. I think that the way Kingston developed them was fine for the OHL but that style didn't translate well to the NHL. I am not married to that idea but it is interesting the number of high picks from Kingston that just don't live up to NHL expectations. 

Just now, Thorny said:

And I think he was only in my brain cause of you 😄

You're thinking of Nick Robertson. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.