2022 NHL Draft Rankings

Buffalonill

17 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Ya - the biggest thing about 06 is (aside from Miller (and I don't think we have that guy coming next year)) those players were brought up and into roles where they'd be getting mismatches. Possible due to being below the lines Briere and Drury were manning in the top 6 - we don't have those guys in place right now 

Unless teams start trying to match their top defensive players vs Kreb/Peterka/Quinn instead of Tuch/Mittelstadt/Skinner/Olofsson/Thompson/Asplund, yes they would be getting mismatches on lower lines.

58 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Those kids will give the Sabres a bottom 6 that MIGHT create issues for opponents, but only if the guys penciled in for the top 6 can keep teams honest. 

The Sabres need to be better across the board & with the removal of the guys that left in the off-season (& later) nearly everybody is playing a line higher than they should be when the roster is healthy.  It isn't, and pretty much everybody is 2 lines over their heads.

Don't expect Mittelstadt is a true 1 next year nor that Cozens or Thompson will be a true #2 next year.  But if they all can be good to adequate 2's and Krebs or somebody else can be a 3, then it could be a bubble team w/ a real goalie & the kids.  (Just getting tired of the if this & if that, & if that other thing all happen, then they might be relevant game. Eventually they will be relevant again, but until they are, they aren't & it's getting old.)

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I find '06 to be an anomaly due to the situation created from the lockout - some of those guys would have come in later than they normally would have

Regardless, it's definitely not "stupid" to go with 5 and I wasn't supporting that side of the argument. Merely that the fact we'd have so many rookies on the roster should probably temper expectations. Those players could *rightly* replace the guys they are replacing, yet the outlook for the team itself not exactly be gangbusters. 

I wonder how much attention Adams has given to that team and how much he will try to keep the kids in Rochester in order to further strengthen that.

There are parallels between the 06 forwards and next year’s in terms of roles and where players are in their careers, with the most obvious differences being next year’s has no Drury and no Briere.

• Connolly - Mitts
  • Kotalik - Olofsson
  • Dumont - Tuch
  • Afinogenov - Thompson (not so much games, but gifts not matching production)
  • Hecht - Asplund
  • Pominville - Peterka
  • Vanek - Quinn
  • Roy - Krebs
  • Grier - Okposo

The defence corps however are very different, with the 06 squad maybe less talented, but a lot more experienced and battle-tested.

And the most obvious difference, of course, being in goal. Adams may have pictured Ullmark as Biron and Lukkonnen as Miller, but he’s not going to get either.

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Unless teams start trying to match their top defensive players vs Kreb/Peterka/Quinn instead of Tuch/Mittelstadt/Skinner/Olofsson/Thompson/Asplund, yes they would be getting mismatches on lower lines.

Maybe? If they are Roy Vanek and Pominville, sure. I wouldn't expect that of a rookie 3rd line, though, normally. What made that team special was that we really had a borderline first line as our third line. I don't think that's Quinn and co next year 

Regardless, the substance of my argument about why it's so different relative to 06 is centered on the talent ABOVE them, which is noticeably inferior at this stage comparatively (see Briere and Drury vs Tage Thompson and Cody Eakin/Dylan Cozens/Casey Mittelstadt)

Edited by Thorny

16 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Maybe? If they are Roy Vanek and Pominville, sure. I wouldn't expect that of a rookie 3rd line, though, normally. What made that team special was that we really had a borderline first line as our third line. I don't think that's Quinn and co next year 

Regardless, the substance of my argument about why it's so different relative to 06 is centered on the talent ABOVE them, which is noticeably inferior at this stage comparatively (see Briere and Drury vs Tage Thompson and Cody Eakin/Dylan Cozens/Casey Mittelstadt)

Absolutely.  Not saying that those rookies, or the talent above them will be equivalently good.  I’m just saying that they should/would get the opportunity to have sheltered matchups, because guys like Tuch/Mittelstadt/Skinner/Olofsson/Thompson/Asplund should still get the focus from the opposition.  They shouldn’t be in a situation way over their heads

What they do with those matchups and what the top of the lineup  does above them remains to be seen.

1 minute ago, Curt said:

Absolutely.  Not saying that those rookies, or the talent above them will be equivalently good.  I’m just saying that they should/would get the opportunity to have sheltered matchups, because guys like Tuch/Mittelstadt/Skinner/Olofsson/Thompson/Asplund should still get the focus from the opposition.  They shouldn’t be in a situation way over their heads

What they do with those matchups and what the top of the lineup  does above them remains to be seen.

You are correct, in theory they could - if they are ready for the NHL at all they should necessarily then be ready for what other teams would throw out there with their bottom 6, right?

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Ya - the biggest thing about 06 is (aside from Miller (and I don't think we have that guy coming next year)) those players were brought up and into roles where they'd be getting mismatches. Possible due to being below the lines Briere and Drury were manning in the top 6 - we don't have those guys in place right now 

And a few years later we all found out that it was Drury and Briere that were important and not the fleet of kids.  By 2010 they were the first failed core.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Weave said:

And a few years later we all found out that it was Drury and Briere that were important and not the fleet of kids.  By 2010 they were the first failed core.

Ya, we needed Briere and Drury to be good. 

Roy et all on line 3 was what we needed to be a cup contender 

1 minute ago, Weave said:

If The roster had been stripped of Vanek, Pominville, and Roy while Briere and Drury remained, the resulting team would have been similarly disappointing.  A bubble team without the depth of talent to be more.

It wasn’t that Vanek, Pominville, and Roy were not good.  It was that the overall team no longer had enough talent to be more than “just” good.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

If The roster had been stripped of Vanek, Pominville, and Roy while Briere and Drury remained, the resulting team would have been similarly disappointing.  A bubble team without the depth of talent to be more.

It wasn’t that Vanek, Pominville, and Roy were not good.  It was that the overall team no longer had enough talent to be more than “just” good.

I can't imagine the drop off would have been close - Briere and Drury were significantly better overall at that time than those guys. If you take any two of them and swtich them for Briere and Drury, I think they easily remain a playoff team coming out of 07

13 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I can't imagine the drop off would have been close - Briere and Drury were significantly better overall at that time than those guys. If you take any two of them and swtich them for Briere and Drury, I think they easily remain a playoff team coming out of 07

I think that is abundantly clear.  And was assumed back then as well.  We all new the team was F'd when those two left town.  If Roy and Vanek were the ones to leave we still have our top 2 lines intact and we role a more traditional 3rd line.

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Who is Savoie's goalie Hauser and has he been drafted... get him

He is a 2004 so this is his draft year.

Good numbers, stacked team though.

If you like big goalies he is only 5’11. Not trying to stir up the size crowd but that is on small size. He may not be done growing yet.

• Thanks (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, French Collection said:

He is a 2004 so this is his draft year.

Good numbers, stacked team though.

If you like big goalies he is only 5’11. Not trying to stir up the size crowd but that is on small size. He may not be done growing yet.

He made some incredible saves to keep them in the game... hmmm hope he grows

I've been thinking about this today. 

Am i crazy in thinking that I would rather Savoie than Wright?

Wright is undoubtedly a better all round player than Savoie. Wright is a leader and will one day be captain of his NHL team.

However, for the Sabres, I think they could use the guy with the most offensive upside and thats Savoie.

My thinking is that  Cozens checks a lot of the same boxes that Wright does, making Wright redundant to a point.

2 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Wright is undoubtedly a better all round player than Savoie. Wright is a leader and will one day be captain of his NHL team.

However, for the Sabres, I think they could use the guy with the most offensive upside and thats Savoie.

My thinking is that  Cozens checks a lot of the same boxes that Wright does, making Wright redundant to a point.

You want to tank for the................ second best player? 

I think we've seen that episode before.

• Haha (+1) 1

This is the same line of thinking that had a few posters here saying they preferred Eichel. No. You want the better ***** player. Every time.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

You want to tank for the................ second best player? 

I think we've seen that episode before.

Ones better offensively and the other is better all round.   IF there is one guy who can dethrone Wright for the 1 pick it’s Savoie 

IF we just looked at 21/22 season  - who is the better player ?  I would land on Savoie

Ones better offensively and the other is better all round.   IF there is one guy who can dethrone Wright for the 1 pick it’s Savoie 

IF we just looked at 21/22 season  - who is the better player ?  I would land on Savoie

We’ll see how things shake out the rest of the season.  Right now, I’d still take Wright #1.

Don’t forget, Savoie is on an absurdly stacked team.  They are 19 and 1, and have outscored the competition 106-36.

17 minutes ago, Curt said:

We’ll see how things shake out the rest of the season.  Right now, I’d still take Wright #1.

Don’t forget, Savoie is on an absurdly stacked team.  They are 19 and 1, and have outscored the competition 106-36.

I would argue that Savoeis a huge part of that, he’s the driver of the bus.  But you are right, it certainly doesn’t hurt being on a stacked team 

plus Wright missed a whole year to covid shutting down the OHL. 

21 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I would argue that Savoeis a huge part of that, he’s the driver of the bus.  But you are right, it certainly doesn’t hurt being on a stacked team 

plus Wright missed a whole year to covid shutting down the OHL. 

For sure.  Overall, I think we just don’t know yet.  This year, more than most, we should take our time forming judgments.  We are working with less information than normal.

Everything prior to this season’s 15-20 games would tell you that Wright is the guy, so it will take a little more before Savoie changes that, but he could.

16 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Isn't Wright more of a playmaker than Savoie? (In addition to being better all around). I lean that way stylistically as that's not really Cozens, who's more balanced, and Thompson is clearly a shoot-first C. There's Casey, but between Wright and Savoie I'd personally prefer the more traditional type C. 

I could be wrong on Wright and Savoie though honestly, I haven't delved into the draft that much so correct me if I am wrong

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

Isn't Wright more of a playmaker than Savoie? (In addition to being better all around). I lean that way stylistically as that's not really Cozens, who's more balanced, and Thompson is clearly a shoot-first C. There's Casey, but between Wright and Savoie I'd personally prefer the more traditional type C. 

I could be wrong on Wright and Savoie though honestly, I haven't delved into the draft that much so correct me if I am wrong

Good question about playing making abilities.  maybe Liger has a more educated opinion than mine ?   

Consolidated mock draft at Elite Prospects. They use around a dozen mock drafts to create this list.

1Shane Wright (C)Kingston Frontenacs OHL

2Matthew Savoie (C)Winnipeg Ice WHL

3Simon Nemec (D)HK Nitra Slovakia

4Juraj Slafkovsky (LW)TPS Liiga

5Brad Lambert (C/RW)JYP Liiga

6Ivan Miroshnichenko (LW)Omskie Krylia VHL

7Danila Yurov (RW)Metallurg Magnitogorsk KHL

8Logan Cooley (C)U.S. National U18 Team USDP

9Joakim Kemell (RW)JYP Liiga

10Conor Geekie (C)Winnipeg Ice WHL

11David Jiricek (D)HC Plzen Czech

12Rutger McGroarty (C)U.S. National U18 Team USDP

13Elias Salomonsson (D)Skellefteå AIK J20 J20 Nationell

14Frank Nazar (RW)U.S. National U18 Team USDP

15Seamus Casey (D)U.S. National U18 Team USDP

16Isaac Howard (LW)U.S. National U18 Team USDP

17Ryan Chesley (D)U.S. National U18 Team USDP

18Jonathan Lekkerimäki (C)Djurgårdens IF J20 J20 Nationell

19Tristan Luneau (D)Gatineau Olympiques QMJHL

20Noah Östlund (C)Djurgårdens IF J20 J20 Nationell

21Ty Nelson (D)North Bay Battalion OHL

22Nathan Gaucher (C)Québec Remparts QMJHL

23Filip Mesar (W/C)HK Poprad Slovakia

24Denton Mateychuk (D)Moose Jaw Warriors WHL

25Marco Kasper (C)Rögle BK SHL

26Cutter Gauthier (LW)U.S. National U18 Team USDP

27Jack Hughes (C)Northeastern Univ. NCAA

28Liam Öhgren (LW)Djurgårdens IF J20 J20 Nationell

29Ludwig Persson (C/LW)Frölunda HC J20 J20 Nationell

30Alexander Perevalov (LW)Loko Yaroslavl MHL

31Simon Forsmark (D)Örebro HK J20 J20 Nationell

32Pano Fimis (C)Niagara IceDogs OHL

32Ludvig Jansson (D)Södertälje SK HockeyAllsvenskan

32Arseni Koromyslov (D)SKA-1946 St. Petersburg MHL

32Bryce McConnell-Barker (C)Soo Greyhounds OHL

32Antonin Verreault (LW)Gatineau Olympiques QMJHL

32Danny Zhilkin (C)Guelph Storm OHL

Edited by French Collection
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.