2022 NHL Draft Rankings

Buffalonill

37 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I'm not sure if this is rhetorical or not, because you've said you're familiar with the words.

Look who he is invested prime assets in: Quinn, Peterka, Tuch, Krebs, Rosen, Poltapov, Kisakov... competitive players who play fast, at least up front.

High motors with lots of skills. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Can I stop you right there for a sec. I need to know what an Adams type player is. I've heard the rhetoric, but don't see it on the ice currently and not enough drafting yet to see a trend or consistency. What exactly is an Adams type player????

I’ll play.

I don’t think it’s a particular skill set.

I think it’s guys who are hard workers, coachable, and play with intensity.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, dudacek said:

I'm not sure if this is rhetorical or not, because you've said you're familiar with the words.

Look who he is invested prime assets in: Quinn, Peterka, Tuch, Krebs, Rosen, Poltapov, Kisakov... competitive players who play fast, at least up front.

Peterka isn't his. Tuch I know, but I'd ask did he get him in the deal for his style of play or for his local connections and desire to play in Buffalo? idk but I think it's a possibility. 

So the Russians, are they similar players to Tuch ? I honestly don't know much about them. 

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

Peterka isn't his. Tuch I know, but I'd ask did he get him in the deal for his style of play or for his local connections and desire to play in Buffalo? idk but I think it's a possibility. 

So the Russians, are they similar players to Tuch ? I honestly don't know much about them. 

Peterka was indeed an Adams selection 

10 hours ago, Curt said:

I’ll play.

I don’t think it’s a particular skill set.

I think it’s guys who are hard workers, coachable, and play with intensity.

Hard workers and play with intensity, that is always desirable, but prior to Tuch, I don't see him actually bringing that in to the team at the pro level . Will have to wait and see if that is an actual thing with the prospects. 

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Peterka was indeed an Adams selection 

No you're right. For some reason in my mind I had him the year before. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Hard workers and play with intensity, that is always desirable, but prior to Tuch, I don't see him actually bringing that in to the team at the pro level . Will have to wait and see if that is an actual thing with the prospects. 

No you're right. For some reason in my mind I had him the year before. 

Almost to a man the list includes hard workers, who play fast and are extremely competitive.

None of them have Tuch’s size, in fact overall, size does not to be a priority at all. Fearlessness, however, is.

I believe Tuch is the first NHL player Adams has acquired at the pro level that he has any intention of keeping.

34 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Almost to a man the list includes hard workers, who play fast and are extremely competitive.

None of them have Tuch’s size, in fact overall, size does not to be a priority at all. Fearlessness, however, is.

I believe Tuch is the first NHL player Adams has acquired at the pro level that he has any intention of keeping.

Kind of a sad fact considering this is his second team.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Well that's likely true about Tuch. Most of the rest are placeholders and scrubs. Not sure if they actually saw a future for Bjork, but if they did it's faulty. 

I guess I just don't see this common similarity thing. The two Russians for example seem like very different players. Polpatov intrigues me. But then you probably already know I like power forwards 🙂

On 11/8/2021 at 12:11 AM, CM37 said:

My favorite prospect that fits the billing beside Wright in this draft is Joakim Kemell. A hard working, sniper scorer from Finland who cant stop scoring. Plays quick, excels in a transition game.

Other then that, i see three players that seem like "Adams" type of players. Not sure where they will land, but might be a reach if the Sabres pick too high. But the players are Frank Nazar, a 2-way right winger, kills penalties, plays PP, high hockey IQ, a competitor. Will attend Michigan next year. Danila Yurov a Russian winger, plays a heavy game, good scorer, also a hard worker. And Jack Hughes, a center on Devon Levi's Northeastern. He's more mid-to-late first round type player, but a very smart player, does all the little things, 2-way center. Has 3 goals in 10 college games this season so far.

Do you listen to the Scouching guy at all? He has a live video chat on Thursdays.  
he isn’t that high on Kemmel.  Said he was getting a little lucky with his points; though still has him at 7 (or so).  Though maybe he is hesitant since Kakko has struggled after scoring lots in Finland 

For me; it’s Wright , Savoie and Cooley as my top “wants “ for the Sabres 

2 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Do you listen to the Scouching guy at all? He has a live video chat on Thursdays.  
he isn’t that high on Kemmel.  Said he was getting a little lucky with his points; though still has him at 7 (or so).  Though maybe he is hesitant since Kakko has struggled after scoring lots in Finland 

No i don't, i mostly just read sportsnet, the athletic and hockeyprospect.com articles and podcast.

It's crazy to say he's getting lucky with points though. He's destroying the league like nobody has ever at that age. No Barkov, not Laine, not Selanne or Kurri. I think the biggest issue with people liking him is if his scoring doesn't translate to the NHL, what else does he provide?

I'm with you on Cooley as well though. Big fan. Savoie not so much mainly bc of his size.

32 minutes ago, CM37 said:

No i don't, i mostly just read sportsnet, the athletic and hockeyprospect.com articles and podcast.

It's crazy to say he's getting lucky with points though. He's destroying the league like nobody has ever at that age. No Barkov, not Laine, not Selanne or Kurri. I think the biggest issue with people liking him is if his scoring doesn't translate to the NHL, what else does he provide?

I'm with you on Cooley as well though. Big fan. Savoie not so much mainly bc of his size.

Why do people get so  Obsessed with this  When every time it blows up in their face 

28 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Why do people get so  Obsessed with this  When every time it blows up in their face 

When did it blow up in our face?

Also, another player i really like in this draft and i am not sure where he will go, maybe with our last first round pick or even second round is Jimmy Snuggerud. His father played for the Sabres, very smart player, fast, loves to shoot and play with pace and likes to play physical. Plays a game similar to Miles Wood.

52 minutes ago, CM37 said:

When did it blow up in our face?

Also, another player i really like in this draft and i am not sure where he will go, maybe with our last first round pick or even second round is Jimmy Snuggerud. His father played for the Sabres, very smart player, fast, loves to shoot and play with pace and likes to play physical. Plays a game similar to Miles Wood.

People  Give a prospect a negative just because of their size and yet  They dominate the league thats all im saying 

38 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I did . But that towards GM and  Scouts if you're small thats  A negative and your draft stock drops

You didn't answer a damn thing. You bolded the question and then avoided it. The question asked for examples of when it blew up in our face.

For the record, it's correct that avoiding a prospect because of size is a great way to fail at drafting ... but you still didn't answer the question.

5 hours ago, Hoss said:

You didn't answer a damn thing. You bolded the question and then avoided it. The question asked for examples of when it blew up in our face.

For the record, it's correct that avoiding a prospect because of size is a great way to fail at drafting ... but you still didn't answer the question.

Alex Debrincat was selected at pick #39 in 2016. We had 2 chances to take him and we skipped so we could draft Nylander and Asplund. 

I think Boston drafted Senyshyn over Barzal because at the time Barzal was listed at 5'11" 

Logan Stanely was a first round pick because he is big. Also from the 2016 draft class and obviously a Winnipeg pick but we see examples around the league where teams have prioritized size over talent.

Rossi falling to 9th in 2020. We are lucky because Quinn is still a good player but other teams will not be so lucky. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, CM37 said:

Everything about this sentence confuses me. The size thing is an obvious one but how are you okay with Cooley but concerned about Savoie? 

Logan Cooley is 5'10" 174lbs

Matthew Savoie is 5'10" 179lbs

If you are worried about Savoie's size you are effectively eliminating the following players 5'10" or less... 

Issac Howard, Frank Nazar, Seamus Casey, Noah Ostlund, David Goyette, Ty Nelson, Filip Mesar who all are potential first round options that are Savoie's size. 

Alex Newhook is this size as well if we want a recent draft comparable. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

The problem with Kemmel is his sh% is high, but his shot assists, controlled entries, and passing stats are all low. Basically he can be an offensive passenger with a good shot. That doesn't mean he is bad just you would want to be cautious because of this underlying factors. IT is why it is too early to really say much about guys. 

Again, not a bad play just needs some caution 

Edited by LGR4GM

I will again recommend EP Rinkside (from elite prospects) for anyone interested in the draft. The content really ramps up after the u20s but they still have a draft notebook where they keep tabs on some of the guys. They also profiled Krebs and discussed his game after the trade. 

Matthew Savoie, C, Winnipeg Ice (2022 Eligible)  

Savoie entered the season with a tonne of hype, and for a good reason. Not only did he have the pre-WHL resume (he’s one of a handful of 14-year-olds to play CSSHL U18, and his 2.29 points per game compare to Bedard’s 2.33 at the same age), he was one of the best players in the USHL last season.

Let me rephrase that. In a data set spanning 430 games across the WHL, QMJHL, and USHL, Savoie was the leader in individual expected goals per 60. He was eons ahead of the next closest 2022 NHL Draft eligible and was among the better playmakers, too.

(skipping the middle part because it is paid content)

Frankly, Savoie’s flashes of the more high-level offensive details – the delay game, the problem-solving, the manipulation – were more numerous last season. Perhaps this is simply a draft-year player feeling a bit of pressure, opting to play faster instead of smarter as a result. Regardless, he’s improved with each viewing. I don’t expect this mini-slump to last much longer.

It is a great analysis of where Savoie is to date and shows that he has struggled a little this season. They note the weaknesses in his game right now and it is a great balanced approach. https://eprinkside.com/2021/11/06/scouts-notebook-owen-pickering-matthew-savoies-start-connor-bedards-shot

56 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I will again recommend EP Rinkside (from elite prospects) for anyone interested in the draft. The content really ramps up after the u20s but they still have a draft notebook where they keep tabs on some of the guys. They also profiled Krebs and discussed his game after the trade. 

It is a great analysis of where Savoie is to date and shows that he has struggled a little this season. They note the weaknesses in his game right now and it is a great balanced approach. https://eprinkside.com/2021/11/06/scouts-notebook-owen-pickering-matthew-savoies-start-connor-bedards-shot

And for a slump Savoie has 21 points, 4 off the league lead.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Alex Debrincat was selected at pick #39 in 2016. We had 2 chances to take him and we skipped so we could draft Nylander and Asplund. 

I think Boston drafted Senyshyn over Barzal because at the time Barzal was listed at 5'11" 

Logan Stanely was a first round pick because he is big. Also from the 2016 draft class and obviously a Winnipeg pick but we see examples around the league where teams have prioritized size over talent.

Rossi falling to 9th in 2020. We are lucky because Quinn is still a good player but other teams will not be so lucky. 

Brayden Point. 

No Logan Stanley, no, but still good

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.