Reinhart Non Committal To His Future in Buffalo

Brawndo

If Rhino goes to arbitration, there is no way he stays.

As far as publicly complaining about not making the playoffs, that should never be mentioned in public. That is for behind closed doors with your agent and GM.

Little played 7 years without one playoff game and didn't utter a peep but he is a consumate pro.

• Like (+1) 2

Watching the Reino interview right now.  My take:  He feels ***** because he feels responsible for the team's performance.  He wouldn't mind a change of scenery for sure, but part of the reason he's being such a dick is because can't fix it and he's disappointed.  You can tell he hates PHam.

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/11/2021 at 12:51 PM, Hoss said:

Luckily the team has a lot of control there so they’ve got some time to further ***** that one up.

The other option available to Sam (as well as Dahlin, Joker, Mitts, Asplund, half the team it seems) is the tool that no one uses and is really unlikely to use in flat cap world. But, signing an offer sheet elsewhere would be a very easy shot-across-the-bow of intent for anyone wanting to get away.

Let's say a middle-of-the-pack team like Dallas loses Pavelski and offers Sam $7M for one year. The compensation is a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. It's mid-to-late first round so the 1st round pick won't be in the NHL for 2 years, there's no NHL-ready player coming back, you can still deal Sam at the deadline if you match. Might be easiest just to match it. Or what if some random contending team loses a veteran bottom-six guy to Seattle and offers Asplund $2M as a replacement - do we match or take the 3rd-round pick? 

But, I'm curious if any of the RFAs look to sign offer sheets as a ticket out. We've not locked up anyone long-term, just strung them along on one-year deals. Tampa could have been gutted by offer sheets, but their players clearly want to be there. If I'm an RFA who doesn't want to be here....

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

The other option available to Sam (as well as Dahlin, Joker, Mitts, Asplund, half the team it seems) is the tool that no one uses and is really unlikely to use in flat cap world. But, signing an offer sheet elsewhere would be a very easy shot-across-the-bow of intent for anyone wanting to get away.

Let's say a middle-of-the-pack team like Dallas loses Pavelski and offers Sam $7M for one year. The compensation is a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. It's mid-to-late first round so the 1st round pick won't be in the NHL for 2 years, there's no NHL-ready player coming back, you can still deal Sam at the deadline if you match. Might be easiest just to match it. Or what if some random contending team loses a veteran bottom-six guy to Seattle and offers Asplund $2M as a replacement - do we match or take the 3rd-round pick? 

But, I'm curious if any of the RFAs look to sign offer sheets as a ticket out. We've not locked up anyone long-term, just strung them along on one-year deals. Tampa could have been gutted by offer sheets, but their players clearly want to be there. If I'm an RFA who doesn't want to be here....

Reinhart is definitely a candidate to sign an offer sheet.  Two minor clarifications, the picks would be for the 2022 draft; and most guys coming off ELCs (like Dahlin) are exclusive rights players.  Though they are unsigned & could sign with teams in other leagues, if the team tenders a QO the team is the only NHL team with the right to negotiate with the player.  It's the same situation Mittelstadt was in last year & why wringing hands over whether Dahlin will get poached is unwarranted at present.  (Not implying you were worried that Ras would get poached, btw.)

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

If this were to happen I’d definitely match but hopefully the team has a plan to avoid that

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

It's 5.6% over his average, he's still a roughly 14-15% shooter. 

His career average is 12.7% prior to this season.

If he were to shoot that percentage on the same number of shots he had this season he’d end up with 16/17 goals this year instead of 25, pacing out to 23-25 goals in a full 82-game season.

9 minutes ago, Hoss said:

His career average is 12.7% prior to this season.

If he were to shoot that percentage on the same number of shots he had this season he’d end up with 16/17 goals this year instead of 25, pacing out to 23-25 goals in a full 82-game season.

All Sam Reinhart does is have 20 goal seasons, it’s BS. 

8 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

The offer sheet has to be actually offered though.  Like you said, it's a tool no one uses.  And it's team initiated, not player initiated.

9 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Nobody's signing Sam Reinhart to an offer sheet. That's nutz. 

2 hours ago, #freejame said:

All Sam Reinhart does is have 20 goal seasons, it’s BS. 

His assist total was a little low. He finished in a tie for 73rd in scoring. So, first line quality, but on the lower end of that. Something to keep in mind for a potential extension.

14 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Nobody's signing Sam Reinhart to an offer sheet. That's nutz. 

It's only nuts because no one ever does it. It'd definitely have to be the right team and situation. If you're a really good team picking late in the 1st round every year, you have an older player on a big expiring contract, it might be just fine to plug and play a Reinhart right into that gap. As an example, Boston loses Krejci to UFA. They've got 7.2M to throw to a 2C. Reinhart's bottom-end 20-30-50 (likely more with the consistency/quality of Boston) and continuing to win is much better than the 26th pick overall, and a 2nd/3rd that are 50/50 to even reach 100 games. I'm not saying another team would do it, but it's a tool that really should be explored with the flat cap to acquire good player now who are in bad situations.

Note: Boston lacks the 1st to do any appreciable salary for an offer sheet. I simply nabbed Krejci as an expensive contract coming off the books where Reinhart would really fit nicely in as a replacement.

15 hours ago, Doohickie said:

The offer sheet has to be actually offered though.  Like you said, it's a tool no one uses.  And it's team initiated, not player initiated.

While not player initiated, all it takes is a call to the agent to gauge interest. And of course, if Reino really wants UFA status next year, he doesn't sign it (unless it's a 1-year deal, but that would make no sense for the picks).

Another Sabres star who might also want out is Reinhart, the team’s leading scorer, according to Paul Hamilton of WGR 550 in Buffalo. Speaking with Mike Halford and Jason Brough on Sportsnet 650 this morning, Hamilton said the West Vancouver native wants to play closer to home.

Reinhart is tired of it,” Hamilton said of Sabres’ 2014 first-round pick. “Reinhart said in his end-of-the-year [media availability] that he’s going on 26. He’s not up for a rebuild. That’s not what he’s looking for. I’ve heard that he wants to be traded to the west coast. That’s where he’s from.”

Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman is reporting that “more than one” team in western Canada would love to have Reinhart.

Reinhart is a player that Jim Benning reportedly coveted in his draft year. The rumour at the 2014 draft was that the Canucks offered Florida their two first-round picks (later used to choose Jake Virtanen and Jared McCann) and Hunter Shinkaruk for the first-overall pick, which Vancouver would use on Reinhart.

The deal never materialized, but it showed what Benning thought of the local product. Florida ended up taking Aaron Ekblad with the first pick, and the Sabres chose Reinhart second overall.

Reinhart may want to play in Vancouver and Benning may like him as a player, but acquiring him would be difficult for a couple of reasons. To start with, the Canucks are still in salary cap hell, and would have trouble making space for his contract. Reinhart is a pending restricted free agent, and made $5.2 million last season.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/sabres-sam-reinhart-wants-to-play-canucks-west-coast

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Another Sabres star who might also want out is Reinhart, the team’s leading scorer, according to Paul Hamilton of WGR 550 in Buffalo. Speaking with Mike Halford and Jason Brough on Sportsnet 650 this morning, Hamilton said the West Vancouver native wants to play closer to home.

Reinhart is tired of it,” Hamilton said of Sabres’ 2014 first-round pick. “Reinhart said in his end-of-the-year [media availability] that he’s going on 26. He’s not up for a rebuild. That’s not what he’s looking for. I’ve heard that he wants to be traded to the west coast. That’s where he’s from.”

Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman is reporting that “more than one” team in western Canada would love to have Reinhart.

Reinhart is a player that Jim Benning reportedly coveted in his draft year. The rumour at the 2014 draft was that the Canucks offered Florida their two first-round picks (later used to choose Jake Virtanen and Jared McCann) and Hunter Shinkaruk for the first-overall pick, which Vancouver would use on Reinhart.

The deal never materialized, but it showed what Benning thought of the local product. Florida ended up taking Aaron Ekblad with the first pick, and the Sabres chose Reinhart second overall.

Reinhart may want to play in Vancouver and Benning may like him as a player, but acquiring him would be difficult for a couple of reasons. To start with, the Canucks are still in salary cap hell, and would have trouble making space for his contract. Reinhart is a pending restricted free agent, and made $5.2 million last season.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/sabres-sam-reinhart-wants-to-play-canucks-west-coast

Yes, because if you really want to know about what Sam Reinhart is thinking, Paul Hamilton is absolutely the man to talk to.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

It's only nuts because no one ever does it. It'd definitely have to be the right team and situation. If you're a really good team picking late in the 1st round every year, you have an older player on a big expiring contract, it might be just fine to plug and play a Reinhart right into that gap. As an example, Boston loses Krejci to UFA. They've got 7.2M to throw to a 2C. Reinhart's bottom-end 20-30-50 (likely more with the consistency/quality of Boston) and continuing to win is much better than the 26th pick overall, and a 2nd/3rd that are 50/50 to even reach 100 games. I'm not saying another team would do it, but it's a tool that really should be explored with the flat cap to acquire good player now who are in bad situations.

Note: Boston lacks the 1st to do any appreciable salary for an offer sheet. I simply nabbed Krejci as an expensive contract coming off the books where Reinhart would really fit nicely in as a replacement.

I know what you're saying, but I just don't see Reinhart being valued highly enough for that kind of bold antagonistic move. In the NHL today the GMs seem more all on the same page and not looking to rape and pillage other teams with offer sheets. I think it only happens in cases where you have a really young guy not at his perceived peak yet. Reinhart is at peak value now. 

Just as an aside, regarding Boston. I'm going to guess Krejci will take a huge discount to stay and he and Hall will basically flip salaries (looking at Hall's salary after half of it not being there.  So maybe 7 to Hall and 3+ to Krejci. That is if they still click in the playoffs. 

That'd be funny if they did offer sheet and sign Reinhart. and resigned Hall. and then if Hall - Reinhart worked we'd all go wtf???

Not going to happen though.

That brings to mind Sean Kuraly as an FA. There's a solid 3rd 4th line center to consider. His salary is pretty low so maybe it doesn't take all that much. 

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Yes, because if you really want to know about what Sam Reinhart is thinking, Paul Hamilton is absolutely the man to talk to.

Exactly. Who in the bloody hell follows and respects the words of Hamilton and Harrington anymore? Yikes!

On 5/14/2021 at 10:48 AM, bunomatic said:

I’m not up for another rebuild either. When will they ever figure it out. Methinks this never gets fixed as long as the Pegulas own this team. Its a perpetual rebuild.

Pegulas just haven’t yet hired a person with gonads as large as McDermott or Beane. Once his happens, I do think they will back off. It’s just that no Sabres FO personnel has given them the impression they know what WTF they are doing. Have they given any fan this impression? And yes, this fault solely rests in the Pegula’s lap. 

Edited by kas23
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.