Give Ryan Miller his respect (poll question added)

Hoss

Should the Sabres retire #30?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Sabres retire Ryan Miller’s number?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/13/2021 at 12:00 AM

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The problem is that the Hall of Fame is itself bloated. Jim Kelley, Rudy Migay, Jerry Korab. Maybe to the Pegulas' credit, no one's been inducted since 2012 when Rick and Dale went in.

Hindsight is 20/20 (or 1980). If you could start from scratch you'd have a ring (or rink) of honor for most of the people in the current Hall of Fame, your HOF would be the cream of the crop and of the COTC you'd have 11 and 39 in the rafters, although it's hard to argue with retiring a number of a player who died while still a Sabre.

The Sabres Alumni page is outdated.  Hasek was inducted in 2014.

43 people for a 50+year old team seems about right to me.  It's just the local team HoF; it isn't supposed to be THAT selective.

Horton is always problematic for me but I think the move would be never to issue the number again, but not to hang it in the rafters.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The problem is that the Hall of Fame is itself bloated. Jim Kelley, Rudy Migay, Jerry Korab. Maybe to the Pegulas' credit, no one's been inducted since 2012 when Rick and Dale went in.

Hindsight is 20/20 (or 1980). If you could start from scratch you'd have a ring (or rink) of honor for most of the people in the current Hall of Fame, your HOF would be the cream of the crop and of the COTC you'd have 11 and 39 in the rafters, although it's hard to argue with retiring a number of a player who died while still a Sabre.

No it isn’t. He was incredibly intoxicated and crashed his sports car after only playing for the team for two seasons at the end of his career. None of that screams “retire my number.”

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

43 people for a 50+year old team seems about right to me.  It's just the local team HoF; it isn't supposed to be THAT selective.

Horton is always problematic for me but I think the move would be never to issue the number again, but not to hang it in the rafters.

Exactly this. Take it down when we move arenas and just don’t put it back up. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Eleven said:

They listed 41. Dom was 42.

But I stand corrected.

9 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

They listed 41. Dom was 42.

But I stand corrected.

Yeah I'm putting Miller in at 43.

I instantly knew which site you were relying on; shame that we can't count on what should be the definitive source.  

43 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Yeah I'm putting Miller in at 43.

I instantly knew which site you were relying on; shame that we can't count on what should be the definitive source.  

Sooner rely on wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Buffalo_Sabres_award_winners#Buffalo_Sabres_Hall_of_Fame

Much more accurate and up to date

Wealth of info on their awards there

• Hoss changed the title to Give Ryan Miller his respect (poll question added)
2 hours ago, Hoss said:

Fun fact: Ryan Miller is the final player in the NHL to have worn the goathead. End of an era.

People might think I'm nuts, but I actually loved the goathead. Then I absolutely hated the blond Howard Cosell toupee that came after that.

Just now, Crosschecking said:

People might think I'm nuts, but I actually loved the goathead. Then I absolutely hated the blond Howard Cosell toupee that came after that.

I don't think we talk enough about how truly horrid a re-introduction it was for the Royals, this year

Their first season back is our Franchise Centre's last?

What a terrible omen

17 minutes ago, Thorny said:

See edit. 

...and, we finished last

Oh. Royal blue. Got it.

I don't see it as an omen myself. I try not to read into omens and curses - regardless of what the talking heads say. Watch them shut up when Vince Lombardi and Lord Stanley stay in town for a year.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.