Jack Eichel Presser on Monday 5-10-21

Brawndo

GA keeps calling Krueger Rasputin.  Can't help but feel he was off by 1 office on that description.

Adams gutted the front office on his 1st day.  Canned Ralph right before the Sabres were scheduled to play 2 games vs the B's while still having his goaltending corps adequate for an AHL squad, basically guaranteeing the interim coach wouldn't bring an immediate return.  And then was at minimum the face of the decision to keep the franchise center from getting surgery.

All the moves seem to be designed to give himself an extended window to get things turned around.  So, what 13 seasons without playoffs?

4 minutes ago, inkman said:

Eichel is the girl running, Sabres fans are the guy on top, Pegulas are the guy on the bottom 

Summed up the day perfectly.  Sadly.

• Thanks (+1) 3

55 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

I am almost 50 and this is the most depressing moment in Buffalo sports for the sheer scope of it. Something is extremely unhealthy at the top and the culture of this franchise. For Jack to feel disrespected in his injury handling is extremely telling and beyond disturbing. Wide right, Hull in the crease, Briere/Drury leaving... is not the same as this.  Very hopeless feeling for the future of this team. 

Maybe Eichel was lying? I wouldn't discount any possibility with this cast of characters.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

GA keeps calling Krueger Rasputin.  Can't help but feel he was off by 1 office on that description.

Adams gutted the front office on his 1st day.  Canned Ralph right before the Sabres were scheduled to play 2 games vs the B's while still having his goaltending corps adequate for an AHL squad, basically guaranteeing the interim coach wouldn't bring an immediate return.  And then was at minimum the face of the decision to keep the franchise center from getting surgery.

All the moves seem to be designed to give himself an extended window to get things turned around.  So, what 13 seasons without playoffs?

The one move that doesn't fit here is Hall

But yes, it seems like it, at this point, anyways. 

Edited by Thorny

Another thing that was off putting was Jack saying several times how much of an amazing “human being” Ralph was. Didn’t seem very winning orientated there. Ralphs job was to coach not be a weird guru. Not a good look when the captain can’t see that, but still get upset about losing.

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, I-90 W said:

Another thing that was off putting was Jack saying several times how much of an amazing “human being” Ralph was. Didn’t seem very winning orientated there. Ralphs job was to coach not be a weird guru. Not a good look when the captain can’t see that, but still get upset about losing.

But in the context of how much Jack talked about his injury and disconnect with the franchise therein, he wanted to stress how good of a PERSON Krueger is. 

Remember when Ralph said he "didn't know" about Jack's injury?

I think Eichel wanted to absolve him 

2 minutes ago, Kong said:

Maybe Eichel was lying? I wouldn't discount any possibility with this cast of characters.

Yeah I’m not sure I believe him either, it seems a bit far fetched and he certainly has the motive to lie. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle, like they weren’t supportive enough about him getting the surgery etc.

Just now, Thorny said:

But in the context of how much Jack talked about his injury and disconnect with the franchise therein, he wanted to stress how good of a PERSON Krueger is. 

Remember when Ralph said he "didn't know" about Jack's injury?

I think Eichel wanted to absolve him 

Yeah that could be, good point.

2 minutes ago, #freejame said:

If you think today is bad, just wait until we miss out on Wright and Bedard while maintaining the best odds of winning. 

The soil we are planting these players in matters.

We can see that now, ya? We need to keep that in mind

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

IMO, Jack is a great player and a not so good captain. Nothing I've seen anywhere ever suggested he is/was a leader of men. I said it at the time it was a mistake not naming OReilly captain.

Can't solely blame ownership for the problems, players and certainly the captain are culpable in this shitshow as they are the two common denominators in this mess.

Get fair value for him and move on, have't won with him.

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Someone was going to be Solicitor General Robert Bork for the Sabres' Saturday Night Massacre.  What you need to hope is that GMKA is Leon Jaworski.

There is one thing that bothers me: until XHCRK was fired, virtually every hockey decision went through Jack Eichel as well as the Pegulas.  Maybe the Pegulas are not all of the problem.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Thorny said:

The soil we are planting these players in matters.

We can see that now now, ya? We need to keep that in mind

If anything this pushes me towards Granato. If he resonates with the young players and can continue to get improvements from him just keep him around. The turn-around coach is seldom the winning coach anyway. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The one move that doesn't fit here is Hall

But yes, it seems like it, at this point, anyways. 

Actually it does. Hall was the exact wrong piece to acquire if you wanted to make a positive difference.  So was stall with other younger FA available.  Hall on a one year deal way above market rate was the perfect poison pill with no consequence the following year.  

Just now, #freejame said:

If anything this pushes me towards Granato. If he resonates with the young players and can continue to get improvements from him just keep him around. The turn-around coach is seldom the winning coach anyway. 

I think Jack was intimating that removing Krueger wouldn't represent "getting the weed out"

IMO I don't think Eichel ever really wanted to be in Buffalo.   

I've been on the keep-him-at-all-costs bandwagon, but after today I'm ready to move on because his heart just isn't into it.     He'll never give the team what it needs.   

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It's pretty unusual for an NHL player, particularly a captain, to do this. To say the least. It will lead off sportscentre here I bet

It's the front page of TSN's website right now.

• Thanks (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Yeah, if this is the case, our front office is worse than imaginable. We are heading into unchartered territory for dysfunctional NHL franchises.  This team might be permanently bad indefinitely. Word travels quick in the small world of hockey... no top talent will ever want to come here like this.   TP has ruined the Sabres brand despite what has happened with the Bills. Just the facts. 

Is that like "double-secret probation?"

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I've been on the keep-him-at-all-costs bandwagon, but after today I'm ready to move on because his heart just isn't into it.     He'll never give the team what it needs.   

yeah - he's clearly done sticking his neck out for this team.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

25 minutes ago, Kong said:

This organization doesn't deserve to exist. It's too screwed up at the top and the decisions made, it was like they bought all the frosting in the world but had no cake to put it on.

And yes I never like Eichel anyway. The first time I saw him was the clip "coming to get you Buffalo" and he was underage drunk. First impression are important.

the humanity!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, erickompositör72 said:

the humanity!!!!!

think of the children.

- - - 

I can't even remember dude's last game. What a waste of a cornerstone centreman we structured a multi-year operation around acquiring 

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, Kong said:

Anyone want to chip in for an aerial "SELL THE SABRES" banner to be flown over PSE HQ?

http://www.airsign.com/aerialadvertising_new+york_buffalo

OK, I asked for a quote. I haven't bought a season ticket, a jersey, not even a hat since 2006. This will be my contribution to the Sabres franchise and if it's reasonable,  yes I'm serious.

Edited by Kong

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.