Jack Eichel Presser on Monday 5-10-21

Brawndo

14 minutes ago, Sabre fan said:

Here is a big surprise...Hall is all for Jack of course...what really irritates me is how they are so quick to try and put all their struggles and poor play on the team and culture surrounding it. It has been stated that Edmonton hasn't exactly surrounded CM with huge talent (playing with Kassien is hardly awe-inspiring for Connor) yet he goes out every game and plays his a** off and never complains. The Sabres got Hall to play with Jack and even after Jack disappeared exCRK still played Hall on the top line and gave him huge ice time when he clearly did not deserve it. Everyone ***** about the Pegulas but they spend a ton of money on these cry babies and I think the  Pegulas deserve better then the lousy crap these players are passing off as "their best". The team was clearly a much better and far more interesting and fun team to watch after getting rid of Staal, Hall, and losing Jack. Clearly coach DG is the first in some time to coach to a players best attributes   and not to try and get them to be something they are not. You down there in Buffalo should be careful what you wish for...if they sell it is very likely the team would be moved (Quebec is really hot-to-trot for a team).

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/sports/sabres/taylor-hall-supports-jack-eichel-those-were-some-dark-days-in-buffalo?fbclid=IwAR3hNvklMgFkSvneg-efKHeqCwwyW4Rjs_S4D_kjIuClrqAcvPAAlDCM-Mg

The Pegulas DO spend money.  But they have yet to bring in an experienced GM.  The GM directs where, within the hockey department, that spending gets directed.

Until they bring in somebody / somebody in that role actually grows into it, the amount of spending won't matter. 

Giving a kindergartener control of your food budget won't keep you healthy.  Blowing your entire food budget on Ding Dongs, Ho-Hos, and chicken nuggets when it should've gone towards lean proteins, fruits, vegetables, grains, & a smidge of junk food will leave you in poorer health than you should've been.

Right now, we're left hoping that Adams can grow into the role.  Bringing in Karmanos should help.  And if they could get Davidson or Rutherford in would help him in that regard.

Also, right now, the team is on its 7th head coach in the just over 10 years that the Pegulas have owned the Sabres.  Not 1 head coach has survived more than 2 full years since they bought the team.  They need to get the right GM so they can get the coach right so they can actually find stability.  And we have to HOPE Adams is the right GM, because if he isn't, this wheel won't get out of the mud for at least 2 more years.  (Coaches get 2 years; GMs get 3.  Lather, rinse, repeat.)

• Like (+1) 2

That is why I think keeping DG as coach to retain stability when the team clearly enjoyed playing for him is vital. And yes hopefully KA with Karmanos can develop into a good combo. Funny thing is when the Pegulas made all these moves over the years, it was thought to be the right move at that time. I also agree with the Lather rinse repeat thing as that is what happens with all the available coaches...they get hired bringing high hopes and new enthusiasm to that team and all goes good for a few years then it goes to s**t and they get fired and the team brings in the next coach. Would bringing in a new coach now not be doing the same thing? I prefer to let DG run this ship for at least next year and see how it plays out. The players clearly like playing for him. And at least the team was entertaining and fun to watch...     

11 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The Pegulas DO spend money.  But they have yet to bring in an experienced GM.  The GM directs where, within the hockey department, that spending gets directed.

It has been said before, but I'll say it again....I think the Pegulas don't want super experienced people, or multiple layers of management with the sabres because they don't think they need it...because they THINK they know a lot more about hockey than they do. They  WANT to be making decisions, they do not want someone to tell them they are wrong.

With the bills its different.  The roster is bigger. The game is more complex (there are so many positions in football that are just totally different than other positions.)  In terms of player scouting, you need to have experts on so many different positions that do so many things.  I think Terry accepts this to a certain extent, and is more willing to let the 'experts' make those decisions in Football.  But in the NHL, they simply want to have their voices heard more.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Sabre fan said:

That is why I think keeping DG as coach to retain stability when the team clearly enjoyed playing for him is vital. And yes hopefully KA with Karmanos can develop into a good combo. Funny thing is when the Pegulas made all these moves over the years, it was thought to be the right move at that time. I also agree with the Lather rinse repeat thing as that is what happens with all the available coaches...they get hired bringing high hopes and new enthusiasm to that team and all goes good for a few years then it goes to s**t and they get fired and the team brings in the next coach. Would bringing in a new coach now not be doing the same thing? I prefer to let DG run this ship for at least next year and see how it plays out. The players clearly like playing for him. And at least the team was entertaining and fun to watch...     

If this were a real franchise, they'd have the org structure in place beginning at the top first.  But they don't.  It reminds me of the Islanders during the summer Tavares was moved.  Lamoriello was hired, who in turn hired Trotz and NYI made a 23 point improvement the following season despite losing their best player.  It takes high organizational aptitude do turn things around. 

There needs to be stability above the HC level to produce a winning team and the Sabres don't have that.  It doesn't help to have Adams as the GM when he's seen as the owners' pet hire who doesn't have the latitude to act as a GM should. 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Sabre fan said:

Well, his would be the shortest tenure of any of the coaches if he doesn't get the full time gig.  He's not due to be canned until sometime in early '23.

IF Eichel & Reinhart are gone, my expectation is now that Granato will be retained. Wonder if Gallant would still be available next off-season.

This is the latest chapter in the sorry saga of the Buffalo Sabres--the worst franchise in the NHL. 

As I keep saying, it is going to be difficult to win much of anything with current ownership.

I hope for continued success with the Bills and Pegula slowly giving in to the knowledge that owning 2 major league sports teams is just too much for one person or couple.

This all sounds like Jack wants out of here, and he figures he can use the neck injury as the vehicle for getting out of Dodge.

I'd be stunned if this ends well for your average Sabres hockey fan.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

It has been said before, but I'll say it again....I think the Pegulas don't want super experienced people, or multiple layers of management with the sabres because they don't think they need it...because they THINK they know a lot more about hockey than they do. They  WANT to be making decisions, they do not want someone to tell them they are wrong.

With the bills its different.  The roster is bigger. The game is more complex (there are so many positions in football that are just totally different than other positions.)  In terms of player scouting, you need to have experts on so many different positions that do so many things.  I think Terry accepts this to a certain extent, and is more willing to let the 'experts' make those decisions in Football.  But in the NHL, they simply want to have their voices heard more.

That is definitely possible.

OR, they don't have a non-owner Team President or a President of Hockey Operations because having people in those roles DID NOT work for them in the past.  It also DIDN'T work for them on the Bills side of things.  Beane reports directly to the Pegulas & that is working very well.

It is CLEAR to any outsider, that Adams can't do the full job on his own.  Even he's acknowledged it himself by hiring Karamanos.  We'd like to see an advisor or better yet President of HO, but not having one doesn't mean necessarily that owners think they know more than a PoHO would.  It very well could mean they believe they have the right guy running things & that his title, much like Beane's gives him enough authority to do what he needs to do.

On the Bills side, they trust their agents hired to lead management.  In that management team's 3rd year, the fans bought in.

On the Sabres side, they seem to trust their agent they hired to lead management.  The fans have not fully bought in yet.  But that doesn't mean ownership isn't bought in nor that Terry Pegula envisions himself to be Jerry Jones.

11 minutes ago, Taro T said:

OR, they don't have a non-owner Team President or a President of Hockey Operations because having people in those roles DID NOT work for them in the past.  It also DIDN'T work for them on the Bills side of things.  Beane reports directly to the Pegulas & that is working very well.

It is CLEAR to any outsider, that Adams can't do the full job on his own.  Even he's acknowledged it himself by hiring Karamanos.  We'd like to see an advisor or better yet President of HO, but not having one doesn't mean necessarily that owners think they know more than a PoHO would.  It very well could mean they believe they have the right guy running things & that his title, much like Beane's gives him enough authority to do what he needs to do.

On the Bills side, they trust their agents hired to lead management.  In that management team's 3rd year, the fans bought in.

On the Sabres side, they seem to trust their agent they hired to lead management.  The fans have not fully bought in yet.  But that doesn't mean ownership isn't bought in nor that Terry Pegula envisions himself to be Jerry Jones.

He's not like Jerry Jones in that he doesn't occupy the position of GM. Hiring inexperienced people or people you control may allow the operation to function as the Cowboys do. The title GM in itself doesn't mean you are in charge of player personel if you're controlled by the owners. I do think the Pegulas may think long time hockey fan translates into knowing how to operate a hockey franchise. I also think they just have a different type relationship to football and hockey.

5 minutes ago, Radar said:

He's not like Jerry Jones in that he doesn't occupy the position of GM. Hiring inexperienced people or people you control may allow the operation to function as the Cowboys do. The title GM in itself doesn't mean you are in charge of player personel if you're controlled by the owners. I do think the Pegulas may think long time hockey fan translates into knowing how to operate a hockey franchise. I also think they just have a different type relationship to football and hockey.

But, pretty much all of the complaints that have been levied against ownership regarding the Sabres could also be levied against them regarding the Bills prior to McDermott being hired & the subsequent hiring of Beane.

The Bandits have been run well.  The Bills are run well.  Their daughter's tennis career seems to be run well.  (No data on the new Kin-ig-hit Hawks.)  The Sabres have not been run well.  Get the right guy running the Sabres and they'll be 4 for 4 IMHO.

The Pegulas show up in the Bills draft room too.  That doesn't just happen with the Sabres.  

And, considering my preference is to keep Eichel & Reinhart.  Really kind of looking forward to some meddling this summer.  😉

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

He's got 4 more years, let's ride them out and try to win with him. Why not?

If you mean Eichel, pretty sure he's under contract for 5 more years.

22 minutes ago, WildCard said:

He's got 4 more years, let's ride them out and try to win with him. Why not?

The “why not” is fairly obvious at this point. He’s not happy and a year from now he can take control of the entire situation by telling the team to ***** off. Teams don’t win in those scenarios. Goodbye, Jack.

How much of Eichel's current mood is frustration over losing, how much is frustration over this health situation and how much is a growing conviction (fed by friends like Bogo, ROR and now Hall) that he will never reach his personal goals (championships and superstardom) in Buffalo?

I think there is slim chance the first two can be addressed in the coming season, but only if the 3rd hasn't fully taken root. Personally, I think the failure of Krueger was the last straw and his mind is made up. He 'has to think of Jack Eichel.'

And even though I blame the Pegulas, not him, I don't think I will ever be comfortable with the idea of him as the captain of the Buffalo Sabres again.

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Hoss said:

The “why not” is fairly obvious at this point. He’s not happy and a year from now he can take control of the entire situation by telling the team to ***** off. Teams don’t win in those scenarios. Goodbye, Jack.

What can he do though, sit out?

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

What can he do though, sit out?

He could. Or he could make it very obvious he doesn’t want to be here (like he already seems to be doing). That’s not good for anybody and the Sabres would be stupid to try to ride that out.

2 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

This is the latest chapter in the sorry saga of the Buffalo Sabres--the worst franchise in the NHL. 

As I keep saying, it is going to be difficult to win much of anything with current ownership.

I hope for continued success with the Bills and Pegula slowly giving in to the knowledge that owning 2 major league sports teams is just too much for one person or couple.

This all sounds like Jack wants out of here, and he figures he can use the neck injury as the vehicle for getting out of Dodge.

I'd be stunned if this ends well for your average Sabres hockey fan.

I think you are absolutely right and the Pegulas have decided the Bills are the major sports franchise in Buffalo and the Sabres are a farm club. 

3 hours ago, I-90 W said:

Does anyone know what NYR offered last year for him? 

I don’t think anyone even knows if they actually made an offer, let alone what it was.  I thought the report was a vague “Rangers called about Eichel”.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

I don't think Ted Black is relevant here. Or, if he is, what about Kim as current team president? Is it working? LaFontaine's tale isn't all that instructive either. It didn't work for the Pegulas because LaFontaine discovered he wasn't a POHO in any sense of the title. That's on Terry et al, not Pat.

Edited by PASabreFan

Just now, LabattBlue said:

I'm surprised they included some of Jack's more inflammatory quotes in this article posted on sabres.com.

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/buffalo-sabres-locker-clean-out-recap-jack-eichel-sam-reinhart/c-324552452

I give the Sabres a fair amount of credit for posting the video of the presser and publishing an article like this. It's good service for the fans. (And, more than likely, the team knows that in 2021, there's no hiding or whitewashing it.)

9 minutes ago, Curt said:

I don’t think anyone even knows if they actually made an offer, let alone what it was.  I thought the report was a vague “Rangers called about Eichel”.

I heard someone on NHL Nerwork talk about it as fact so pretty sure it happened, they said it made Buffalo “give pause but they weren’t ready yet”. So it must have been quite the haul. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I give the Sabres a fair amount of credit for posting the video of the presser and publishing an article like this. It's good service for the fans. (And, more than likely, the team knows that in 2021, there's no hiding or whitewashing it.)

Admitting you have a problem is the first step in recovery.  

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I suspect the goal here from the Sabres perspective is to provide the juice for the "Eichel is selfish" narrative if it comes out that he's overblowing the disconnect on the treatment and is essentially pouting his way out of town. It's good for them to put Jack's words in plain sight.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

I suspect the goal here from the Sabres perspective is to provide the juice for the "Eichel is selfish" narrative if it comes out that he's overblowing the disconnect on the treatment and is essentially pouting his way out of town. It's good for them to put Jack's words in plain sight.

Dayum.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.