Jack Eichel Presser on Monday 5-10-21

Brawndo

As the dust settles and I peer deep into the chasm of my soul, to be honest:

1. I'm not mad at Jack.

2. I don't like Jack.

3. I'm fine with trading all of Jack, Sam and Risto. I'm not interested in winning any trades.

4. I just watched Casey's presser. He was wearing a Sabres hat. I just watched Rasmus the Younger's presser. He talked about how he was a leader on his Swedish teams. This should be their team now. And all the rest of the kids.

5. Thus, it should be Granato's job.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

As the dust settles and I peer deep into the chasm of my soul, to be honest:

1. I'm not mad at Jack.

2. I don't like Jack.

3. I'm fine with trading all of Jack, Sam and Risto. I'm not interested in winning any trades.

4. I just watched Casey's presser. He was wearing a Sabres hat. I just watched Rasmus the Younger's presser. He talked about how he was a leader on his Swedish teams. This should be their team now. And all the rest of the kids.

5. Thus, it should be Granato's job.

I'm leaning toward Granato more and more. If it's not Granato it better be a well respected and successful established NHL coach and not Torts.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

For the love of God, don't make us watch Jack, Sam and Risto again.

Just put everybody out of their misery, player and fan alike.

Majorly SMH if we deal Eichel and Reinhart but KEEP Risto. 

2 hours ago, I-90 W said:

Watching Jacks presser on YouTube right now (heard it live on WGR yesterday. His black cap with no logo also sends a message, and his chuckle after sarcastically saying Sam had a good year and then chuckling was the most un-captain thing I’ve ever seen a captain say or do.

That wasn’t my take at all. To me, it just looked like a guy who was happy for his buddy.

49 minutes ago, SabresVet said:

Long time lurker, but here goes.  The torches and pitchforks out for Jack are aiming a little low.  He's not perfect, but definitely not the root cause to all the dysfunction either.  Management and the people who hire them impact an organization more than your best player does.  To that point...

Ownership's influence over personnel decisions on and off-ice makes it all but impossible to assemble a winning team.  Imagine being a GM and you're told whom to re-sign, the terms of a contract and then watch as the scouting staff all but purged.  What franchise can win with that level of meddling?  And what decent hockey executive type would work under those conditions?

Getting rid of Jack seems inevitable, but it won't repair what's wrong.  Nor will recycling good or better players for younger ones that have "potential."  The team is where they are because ownership doesn't have a clue and remain locked in their echo chamber. 

Welcome.

Post more.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

A tear-down implies they built something.

A good GM working for a good owner would shape those assets into a playoff contender this summer.

Good post - thanks for it. The first point above is fair. Maybe "demolition" is more apt? If you're moving Eichel, Reinhart, and Risto, that's ... something big. Call it what we will. A re-set?

To the second point, I suppose that anything is possible. Here's hoping.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Crosschecking said:

@Thorny , thanks for the Labatt Blue. I can go commiserate with myself, cry in my beer for the time being, and look forward to next season with General Panzer (RK) completely out of the picture.

Cheers. We’re not going anywhere. 

• Like (+1) 1

From LeBrun in the Athletic regarding trading Eichel and what other GMs feel 

Team exec No. 1: Tough spot for Buffalo. Your team is somewhat in disarray and your marquee player, who has had a short, substandard, injury-riddled year and NOW wants out? They’re not dealing from a position of strength. It’s somewhat similar to the situation they were in with Ryan O’Reilly.

If they’re resigned to move him, they’d be well served to put it out there and attempt to make it an auction. That’s probably how they best maximize their return.

Team exec No. 2: I would say the return for him should be massive.  I think Buffalo would need to get players that can help them now along with futures. Given where Buffalo has finished in the standings recently they don’t have a ton of prospect depth so they need to build that back up but you can’t trade Jack for futures only as those are just bets based on a projection. The Sabres need to get a couple of established, quality players in return as well. I could see this being a 5-7 piece deal depending on what is coming back in return.

Team exec No. 3: Obviously an elite talent. I don’t know if there are character issues or if those rumours are a by-product of the situation in Buffalo.  Not many teams can take on a $10M cap hit but maybe if Buffalo is willing to take a few million back on a contract, they could get a decent haul.  Probably a first and then another mid-round pick plus a good young roster player, with some bad money going the other way.

Team exec No. 4: Eichel is a fantastic player. A lot of times, when it seems like a team needs to do something, teams will lowball them and see if they will bite. That can work when it is a player who only a few teams want, but for a star first-line center, there will be a bidding war and someone is going to pay a lot for him.

Team exec No. 5: His no-move doesn’t kick in until after next season and given his comments, they better get this done sometime soon. Having said that, the injury is concerning as well as his two goals. Real tough situation for all parties with this one. (His $10 million) cap hit, not every team can take that on although he is a motivated game changer for any organization. Has to start with a first-round pick, a player and a prospect I would think but again this is not an easy situation for anyone. When it gets this public leverage gets diminished.

Team exec No. 6: He’s worth whatever they can get for him — from whichever team/conference they prefer to send him to. Have to assume they’d be looking for a center back, plus plus. Unless it’s more of a Johansen-Jones type one-for-one… could get interesting.

Team exec No. 7: It’s unfortunate and I do think they will move him. Not many teams have the cap space to take his contract and with a flat cap, the market is so unpredictable. Tough to guess what they could get for him until you go through the process/calls and see how many suitors you have. Not sure Buffalo can look only at draft picks and prospects because it puts them even more behind in their quest to be competitive. They need to get players that can keep the rebuild going forward.

Final analysis

What’s clear when you hear all these takes from NHL front offices is how wide-ranging they are. Front offices are going to view both the player and the buying package in different ways which is why this has the chance to be a rather fascinating process. But all it takes is for two clubs to view him in the most positive light and you’ve got a bidding war. The temptation will be too much to resist for some teams, I have no doubt about it. Despite some red flags, they will see his age, talent and his position as a No. 1 center and attribute some of what’s happened to the supporting cast and gong show that’s played out in Buffalo over the last few years.

And really, despite the flat cap, it’s not a terrible offseason to engage. Seattle’s expansion draft will force movement around the league on its own.

Do the Rangers dive in on Eichel under new GM Chris Drury and see him as their missing piece and reunite him with his Boston University head coach David Quinn? Maybe they feel last offseason was the time. We’ll see.

Do the Wild like the idea of Eichel playing with Kirill Kaprizov? (I think the Wild make a ton of sense and they have the pieces to do it).

Do the Kings expedite the rebuild and drop Eichel in that emerging mix?

Do the Blue Jackets view Eichel as the missing No. 1 center to play with Laine?

Do the Flames shake up their core and make Eichel a blockbusterpart of that process?

Do the Bruins view him as a trusted piece to help in their transition, especially given his roots?

I’m confident in saying there will be teams that enter the fray that don’t seem to make sense on the surface right now.

How the playoffs unravel has a way of changing a lot of minds in some NHL front offices.

Buckle up, the Eichel sweepstakes, if the Sabres do indeed proceed that way, will not only be beyond fascinating, but I dare say polarizing.

• Thanks (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

No I meant like as fans haha 

Got it. Sorry I missed that.

When it comes to football, my house is divided. But when it comes to hockey, we're not. I look forward to peppering my house with Sabres regalia when they make it to the finals.

4 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Team exec No. 1: Tough spot for Buffalo. Your team is somewhat in disarray and your marquee player, who has had a short, substandard, injury-riddled year and NOW wants out? They’re not dealing from a position of strength. It’s somewhat similar to the situation they were in with Ryan O’Reilly.

If they’re resigned to move him, they’d be well served to put it out there and attempt to make it an auction. That’s probably how they best maximize their return.

Team exec No. 2: I would say the return for him should be massive.  I think Buffalo would need to get players that can help them now along with futures. Given where Buffalo has finished in the standings recently they don’t have a ton of prospect depth so they need to build that back up but you can’t trade Jack for futures only as those are just bets based on a projection. The Sabres need to get a couple of established, quality players in return as well. I could see this being a 5-7 piece deal depending on what is coming back in return.

Team exec No. 3: Obviously an elite talent. I don’t know if there are character issues or if those rumours are a by-product of the situation in Buffalo.  Not many teams can take on a $10M cap hit but maybe if Buffalo is willing to take a few million back on a contract, they could get a decent haul.  Probably a first and then another mid-round pick plus a good young roster player, with some bad money going the other way.

Team exec No. 4: Eichel is a fantastic player. A lot of times, when it seems like a team needs to do something, teams will lowball them and see if they will bite. That can work when it is a player who only a few teams want, but for a star first-line center, there will be a bidding war and someone is going to pay a lot for him.

Team exec No. 5: His no-move doesn’t kick in until after next season and given his comments, they better get this done sometime soon. Having said that, the injury is concerning as well as his two goals. Real tough situation for all parties with this one. (His $10 million) cap hit, not every team can take that on although he is a motivated game changer for any organization. Has to start with a first-round pick, a player and a prospect I would think but again this is not an easy situation for anyone. When it gets this public leverage gets diminished.

Team exec No. 6: He’s worth whatever they can get for him — from whichever team/conference they prefer to send him to. Have to assume they’d be looking for a center back, plus plus. Unless it’s more of a Johansen-Jones type one-for-one… could get interesting.

Team exec No. 7: It’s unfortunate and I do think they will move him. Not many teams have the cap space to take his contract and with a flat cap, the market is so unpredictable. Tough to guess what they could get for him until you go through the process/calls and see how many suitors you have. Not sure Buffalo can look only at draft picks and prospects because it puts them even more behind in their quest to be competitive. They need to get players that can keep the rebuild going forward.

Final analysis

What’s clear when you hear all these takes from NHL front offices is how wide-ranging they are. Front offices are going to view both the player and the buying package in different ways which is why this has the chance to be a rather fascinating process. But all it takes is for two clubs to view him in the most positive light and you’ve got a bidding war. The temptation will be too much to resist for some teams, I have no doubt about it. Despite some red flags, they will see his age, talent and his position as a No. 1 center and attribute some of what’s happened to the supporting cast and gong show that’s played out in Buffalo over the last few years.

And really, despite the flat cap, it’s not a terrible offseason to engage. Seattle’s expansion draft will force movement around the league on its own.

Do the Rangers dive in on Eichel under new GM Chris Drury and see him as their missing piece and reunite him with his Boston University head coach David Quinn? Maybe they feel last offseason was the time. We’ll see.

Do the Wild like the idea of Eichel playing with Kirill Kaprizov? (I think the Wild make a ton of sense and they have the pieces to do it).

Do the Flames shake up their core and make Eichel a blockbusterpart of that process?

Do the Bruins view him as a trusted piece to help in their transition, especially given his roots?

I’m confident in saying there will be teams that enter the fray that don’t seem to make sense on the surface right now.

How the playoffs unravel has a way of changing a lot of minds in some NHL front offices.

Buckle up, the Eichel sweepstakes, if the Sabres do indeed proceed that way, will not only be beyond fascinating, but I dare say polarizing.

Did LeBrun say “gong show” or is that your wording? Lol

Just what we’re hoping for is mentioned a lot: bidding war. 

I don’t really buy that Jack lowered his value by asking out. As long as there’s more than one team interested, that becomes mostly irrelevant 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Final analysis

How many of us will have fingernails left when all is said and done?

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Maybe the will be able to pull a larger haul than I’m expecting...just can’t get hopes up 

Also from Lebrun:

The timing is not ideal for the organization. You hate trading any player when his value is at his lowest, but a franchise player after an injury-riddled, nightmare season? In a flat cap world?

Not good.

They should have traded him last offseason, one rival team executive said to me Tuesday. Hindsight.

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Also from Lebrun:

The timing is not ideal for the organization. You hate trading any player when his value is at his lowest, but a franchise player after an injury-riddled, nightmare season? In a flat cap world?

Not good.

They should have traded him last offseason, one rival team executive said to me Tuesday. Hindsight.

Like I said, not gonna yet my hopes up. I’ve detailed deals I think we could see. Though I don’t buy his value has taken that much of a hit - he already had an injury history prior to this. He himself for what it’s worth exudes plenty of confidence he’ll be fine. 

Hall playing well after leaving actually helps us. It’s not like Jack’s top 10 mvp finish was eons ago - it was the last season that started normally. 

I dunno how you could have dealt him last offseason unless you were forced to. Trading a player coming off that season would have caused riots 

Unless Jack was already asking out, you gotta do everything in your power to keep a player of that caliber. I do wonder how long this has been going on for 

Edited by Thorny

11 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Maybe the will be able to pull a larger haul than I’m expecting...just can’t get hopes up 

What I don’t get is all the “team execs” think the money is a problem.  Am I living in fantasy land thinking the teams trading for Jack aren’t going to make the money work, somehow, someway.  

Rangers - include Zibanejad and or Brendon Smith

LA Kings - Dustin Brown and or Oli Matta

Minnesota Wild - they have about a dozen guys they could throw in to make the money work 

Maybe I’m missing something but almost any team has a contest or 7 they want to unload.  They may need to add draft picks to make is feasible but let’s not act like it’s impossible. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, inkman said:

What I don’t get is all the “team execs” think the money is a problem.  Am I living in fantasy land thinking the teams trading for Jack aren’t going to make the money work, somehow, someway.  

Rangers - include Zibanejad and or Brendon Smith

LA Kings - Dustin Brown and or Oli Matta

Minnesota Wild - they have about a dozen guys they could throw in to make the money work 

Maybe I’m missing something but almost any team has a contest or 7 they want to unload.  They may need to add draft picks to make is feasible but let’s not act like it’s impossible. 

The Kings could add Quick to make money work 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.