Jack Eichel Presser on Monday 5-10-21

Brawndo

9 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

3 years 20 million vs 5 years 50 million and a NMC.  And i'm not sure eichel is much better honestly. Also Scheifele has a M-NTC.

I’m waiting to hear what ducky says but, I mean I live here, I take in a lot of Jets - I’m pretty certain they make this deal. 

Scheifele’s clause could require some attention. Interestingly, the two are friends. 

Its more about the principle, anyways. I don’t buy for a single second there aren’t teams willing to trade their bonafide 1C for Jack freaking Eichel. 

Edited by Thorny
Also, if you believe in Eichel and are trading for him - his contract is a good thing

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Total tear down? Just trade him for a really good player! Of course the guy will be a notch below, that’s why the other team makes the trade! Yes, we “lose” the trade - it’s an unwinnable trade. Sunk cost, whatever - get the BEST player you can. Swallow the cough syrup. We done effed up so we are going to have to take a hit.

But we get a player. 

People complain about Jack’s attitude anyways. Insert any “we’ll gain for moving him, team psyche-wise” notions you want here, to make the trade more palatable to you. 

I think this is what we're facing. Either quantity or a hockey trade for the best player you can get. My guess now is KA is thinking both Jack and Sam must be moved. Add to that a strong chance Risto as well. The only hope is you can rebuild your whole core with that. We're going to end up giving up the best players individually but hopefully getting more quality depth.

Just now, Radar said:

I think this is what we're facing. Either quantity or a hockey trade for the best player you can get. My guess now is KA is thinking both Jack and Sam must be moved. Add to that a strong chance Risto as well. The only hope is you can rebuild your whole core with that. We're going to end up giving up the best players individually but hopefully getting more quality depth.

Aint getting a ton for risto unless you take on a bad contract - like james neal or something.  Then you can get something back.

I just assume with every NMC, NTC, M-NTC that buffalo is on the no list so you have to find overpaid players who don't have those. 

3 minutes ago, Thwomp! said:

Remember what team this is.  We have neither of those.  Far from it.

He’s right though. There’s no reason to “take a step back” when we’ve already fallen off the building. You want to build around Cozens and Dahlin? Bring in some respected veterans who are also still quite good at hockey. If we want to *maximize* the future we see in Cozens and Dahlin et al we need to trade the core vets we move for other core vets so the cycle of development isn’t put on undue fast forward again 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

Did Cozens have a good season? How about the improved effort from the whole team after his guru was fired? Nah he just cares about his BFF.

We found out Sam reinhart is a centre 

I call that a win.

Hell if this nonsense of Jack eichel didn't come out he will be our 2nd line centre next year and we could be on our way to the playoffs

Edited by Buffalonill

He’s right though. There’s no reason to “take a step back” when we’ve already fallen off the building. You want to build around Cozens and Dahlin? Being in some respected veterans who are also still quite good at hockey. If we want to *maximize* the future we see in Cozens and Dahlin et al we need trade the core vets we move for other core vets so the cycle of development isn’t put on undue fast forward again 

I get it. Unfortunately there's no patience from the fan base after a decade of embarrassment, and no one wants to work here or play here for the same reasons.  All because this type of rebuild should have been done the first time and wasn't.  No one wants to be 3,4,5 years out of the playoffs (at a minimum) again while rebuilding, but you're right we likely have no choice.

Just now, Thwomp! said:

I get it. Unfortunately there's no patience from the fan base after a decade of embarrassment, and no one wants to work here or play here for the same reasons.  All because this type of rebuild should have been done the first time and wasn't.  No one wants to be 3,4,5 years out of the playoffs (at a minimum) again while rebuilding, but you're right we likely have no choice.

No I’m saying the opposite. We do not need to succumb to the idea that there’s a long road ahead to the playoffs 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I’m waiting to hear what ducky says but, I mean I live here, I take in a lot of Jets - I’m pretty certain they make this deal. 

Scheifele’s clause could require some attention. Interestingly, the two are friends. 

Its more about the principle, anyways. I don’t buy for a single second there aren’t teams willing to trade their bonafide 1C for Jack freaking Eichel. 

Wait. You're from Winnipeg?

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Thorny said:

A good running discussion. 

Yep 

I'm talking to a Canadian Sabres fan from Winnipeg? The one in Alberta. I haven't been this confused since sheila69@aol turned out to be a long-haul truck driver with a cute, blond niece who was into the Sabres and that's where he got his talking points — and pics.

MANitoba!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Oh I expect to got our a$$ handed to us this trade (and Sam). Can’t wait to see the advertisement for season tickets. It will be entertaining. Watching the Sabres skate to 65 points next year will not. 

probably raise prices to keep revenue sharing

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

Aint getting a ton for risto unless you take on a bad contract - like james neal or something.  Then you can get something back.

I just assume with every NMC, NTC, M-NTC that buffalo is on the no list so you have to find overpaid players who don't have those. 

NMC do make it difficult no doubt. We're in tough spot. This franchise has been maybe the worst run NHL franchise. They've created this mess.

Button mentioned Calgary (to compete w/McD in division) and Ottawa as good landing spots for Jack. Said teams will be lining up for a player who is “beyond elite”, a superstar, and that people will attribute any perceived issues/weaknesses to the dysfunction of the Sabres. 

Specifically mentioned how the league watched Hall score 2 goals here then 8 after getting moved 

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Button mentioned Calgary (to compete w/McD in division) and Ottawa as good landing spots for Jack. Said teams will be lining up for a player who is “beyond elite”, a superstar, and that people will attribute any perceived issues/weaknesses to the dysfunction of the Sabres. 

Specifically mentioned how the league watched Hall score 2 goals here then 8 after getting moved 

Who is the best young center we could get for Jack?

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Who is the best young center we could get for Jack?

I think we can either get a centre substantially younger than Jack, who is unproven (but not a team’s best C prospect/young C - so, not Josh Norris from Ottawa) like a Chytil in New York, in a package with other similar assets, or a centre a bit older than Jack in the vein of a Lindholm from Calgary who is a good player but a noticeable step down. Less additional pieces in that. Maybe it does come back to Calgary, they’ve been thrown around as a trade partner for a while.

I’ve mentioned Scheifele as a target but that’s my narrative.

Maybe button is right and teams start bidding against each other which seemed to be a potential implication

I think we can either get a centre substantially younger than Jack, who is unproven (but not a team’s best C prospect/young C - so, not Josh Norris from Ottawa) like a Chytil in New York, in a package with other similar assets, or a centre a bit older than Jack in the vein of a Lindholm from Calgary who is a good player but a noticeable step down. Less additional pieces in that. Maybe it does come back to Calgary, they’ve been thrown around as a trade partner for a while.

I’ve mentioned Scheifele as a target but that’s my narrative.

Maybe button is right and teams start bidding against each other which seemed to be a potential implication

I would think/hope any team that gets Jack, that conversation starts and ends at 'give me your best young forward'

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I would think/hope any team that gets Jack, that conversation starts and ends at 'give me your best young forward'

I’d hope so too. But I’m trying to think of the last time a team traded it’s best prospect 

24 minutes ago, SabresVet said:

Long time lurker, but here goes.  The torches and pitchforks out for Jack are aiming a little low.  He's not perfect, but definitely not the root cause to all the dysfunction either.  Management and the people who hire them impact an organization more than your best player does.  To that point...

Ownership's influence over personnel decisions on and off-ice makes it all but impossible to assemble a winning team.  Imagine being a GM and you're told whom to re-sign, the terms of a contract and then watch as the scouting staff all but purged.  What franchise can win with that level of meddling?  And what decent hockey executive type would work under those conditions?

Getting rid of Jack seems inevitable, but it won't repair what's wrong.  Nor will recycling good or better players for younger ones that have "potential."  The team is where they are because ownership doesn't have a clue and remain locked in their echo chamber. 

Don't lurk. I need you!

• Haha (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, SabresVet said:

Long time lurker, but here goes.  The torches and pitchforks out for Jack are aiming a little low.  He's not perfect, but definitely not the root cause to all the dysfunction either.  Management and the people who hire them impact an organization more than your best player does.  To that point...

Ownership's influence over personnel decisions on and off-ice makes it all but impossible to assemble a winning team.  Imagine being a GM and you're told whom to re-sign, the terms of a contract and then watch as the scouting staff all but purged.  What franchise can win with that level of meddling?  And what decent hockey executive type would work under those conditions?

Getting rid of Jack seems inevitable, but it won't repair what's wrong.  Nor will recycling good or better players for younger ones that have "potential."  The team is where they are because ownership doesn't have a clue and remain locked in their echo chamber. 

Completely agree, and good post.

I'm sure you saw the sign while registering on the site: "Don't feed the PA". 😄

Enjoy the conversations. 

Just now, Scottysabres said:

Completely agree, and good post.

I'm sure you saw the sign while registering on the site: "Don't feed the PA". 😄

Enjoy the conversations. 

What's your problem with Players Association? Are you anti-union? Well, are you?

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.