Jack Eichel Presser on Monday 5-10-21

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Ducky said:

Just watched the interview.

Sadly, I think Eichel is gone. He's a better center than Scheif and I'd hate it if he wanted out. I'd love him on the Jets but it will never happen.

This is definitely Pegula's fault and nobody else's.

Hiring an inexperienced GM was/is a grave mistake and it shows. Eichel should have been given an A, if anything, not the C (I know Adams didn't do this). I really couldn't believe when Rhino was signed to a one year deal. He's a consistent 60-65 point man, why not lock him up??? I'd fire Adams as soon as the regular season ended. Get a veteran GM and let him build the team and don't meddle. 

I honestly don't think his interview hurt his value because he is a legitimate top 5 center. You guys will get a ton back for him and there will be multiple offers for him. I can guarantee you that 31 teams will be phoning to see what it would cost to pry him out of Buffalo. 

In my opinion, a futures laced deal along with a half decent center is the way to go. Cozens has 1C written all over him but it won't be next season. This team will not be a contender for 4 or so years so I wouldn't waste the return on older players.

You should be able to pick up a decent center along with one or two 1st round picks and one or two blue chip prospects. Build around Dahlin and Cozens. Draft well without trading top picks away. The fans need to be patient and trading Eichel will more or less force this. 

I agree with so much of this except for the last sentence. We don’t have any more patience. We’ve been told to be patient for over a decade now.

2 hours ago, Ducky said:

The fans need to be patient

This needs to stop

Maybe if it's phrased - "The fans needs to continue showing a level of patience almost completely unheard of in the recent history of the NHL and it's fans, a level of patience to a degree that's generally unacceptable when it comes to a paying customer"

It's hard to tell fans to be patient and expect them to be patient when the last 7 or 8 times that was asked of them, it blew up in their faces

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

Just now, Thorny said:

This needs to stop

Agreed. And we can’t subject our new young players to another decade of suffering either. Not to mention forcing them into roles they’re not ready for yet. Rebuilds have several negative tangible side effects, and our fan base can’t take it anymore.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

Agreed. And we can’t subject our new young players to another decade of suffering either. Not to mention forcing them into roles they’re not ready for yet. Rebuilds have several negative tangible side effects, and our fan base can’t take it anymore.

When a GM decides to take the long road, the primary concern isn't becoming a contender, the primary concern is extending their job security. Being judged against the lowest expectations possible is always in the best interest of the GM. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

When a GM decides to take the long road, the primary concern isn't becoming a contender, the primary concern is extending their job security. Being judged against the lowest expectations possible is always in the best interest of the GM. 

Great point and those who are calling for Adam’s head should also think about this; our frequent change over of GMs has probably dragged this process out longer than need be.

13 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

Great point and those who are calling for Adam’s head should also think about this; our frequent change over of GMs has probably dragged this process out longer than need be.

The inability to hire a competent, experienced GM and coach has dragged this process out longer than it needs to be.  Firing people who were bad at their jobs is not the problem.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, jad1 said:

The inability to hire a competent, experienced GM and coach has dragged this process out longer than it needs to be.  Firing people who were bad at their jobs is not the problem.

Thorny made a very good point about how it’s in the GMs best interest to drag the process along; hire a new GM, reset the clock. That GM fires the HC a year later, reset the clock. It’s a viscous cycle of kicking the can down the road. And if you fire a GM after one season, as you seem that you would do, no valuable GM will ever even come here. There is also that to think about. It’s not as simple as just fire everyone right away. Even George Steinbrenner had to learn that in the 70s.

Just now, jad1 said:

They need to stop promoting from within and hiring first timers who “need this job”. Men who are afraid of ownership and afraid to lose their cheque. They need to hire people who don’t need this job. People who will come merely for the g*D DAMN PROFESSIONAL CHALLENGE of crafting a winner. People who aren’t here to please the Pegulas, but here to show everyone how it’s done. 

I want someone in charge who wants to be lauded in the media for turning it around. I want someone who wants the praise. 

35 minutes ago, Thorny said:

This needs to stop

Maybe if it's phrased - "The fans needs to continue showing a level of patience almost completely unheard of in the recent history of the NHL and it's fans, a level of patience to a degree that's generally unacceptable when it comes to a paying customer"

It's hard to tell fans to be patient and expect them to be patient when the last 7 or 8 times that was asked of them, it blew up in their faces

Agree, in a sense.  The fans shouldn’t be expected to be patient.  They have waited long enough.  With that said, I think they probably are going to need to wait a couple more years, rightly or wrongly, patiently or impatiently.

Watching Jacks presser on YouTube right now (heard it live on WGR yesterday. His black cap with no logo also sends a message, and his chuckle after sarcastically saying Sam had a good year and then chuckling was the most un-captain thing I’ve ever seen a captain say or do.

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

Watching Jacks presser on YouTube right now (heard it live on WGR yesterday. His black cap with no logo also sends a message, and his chuckle after sarcastically saying Sam had a good year and then chuckling was the most un-captain thing I’ve ever seen a captain say or do.

Seeing how they're best friends i wouldn't put to much into that 

2 hours ago, Ducky said:

Just watched the interview.

Sadly, I think Eichel is gone. He's a better center than Scheif and I'd hate it if he wanted out. I'd love him on the Jets but it will never happen.

This is definitely Pegula's fault and nobody else's.

Hiring an inexperienced GM was/is a grave mistake and it shows. Eichel should have been given an A, if anything, not the C (I know Adams didn't do this). I really couldn't believe when Rhino was signed to a one year deal. He's a consistent 60-65 point man, why not lock him up??? I'd fire Adams as soon as the regular season ended. Get a veteran GM and let him build the team and don't meddle. 

I honestly don't think his interview hurt his value because he is a legitimate top 5 center. You guys will get a ton back for him and there will be multiple offers for him. I can guarantee you that 31 teams will be phoning to see what it would cost to pry him out of Buffalo. 

In my opinion, a futures laced deal along with a half decent center is the way to go. Cozens has 1C written all over him but it won't be next season. This team will not be a contender for 4 or so years so I wouldn't waste the return on older players.

You should be able to pick up a decent center along with one or two 1st round picks and one or two blue chip prospects. Build around Dahlin and Cozens. Draft well without trading top picks away. The fans need to be patient and trading Eichel will more or less force this. 

I'm at the point now where I'm not sure he's a top 5 center.  Just listing out names, and i know Eichel can pop with great plays with the best of them, but I'm not sure he makes the team better than any of these guys would.

Mcdavid

Crosby

Matthews

Scheifele

Barkov

Draisatil

Aho

O'reilly

Bergeron

4 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

I gotta look out for jack eichel.  Without mentioning fans or the team much at all.

16 minutes ago, jad1 said:

I think part of the problem is while they definitely haven't been the "cheapest" owners, they have eaten so much money on coach/GM contracts by overpaying and firing people.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

I think part of the problem is while they definitely haven't been the "cheapest" owners, they have eaten so much money on coach/GM contracts by overpaying and firing people.  

Yeah, no doubt.  Hiring better people would save them money.  It should be a motivating factor for them. 

They figured it out (or lucked into it) with the Bills.  Haven't been able to do it with the Sabres.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, jad1 said:

Yeah, no doubt.  Hiring better people would save them money.  It should be a motivating factor for them. 

They figured it out (or lucked into it) with the Bills.  Haven't been able to do it with the Sabres.

At this point they need to upgrade facilities.  Make this a place where hockey players come to want to play hockey.  

Same goes for fans, the stadiums a dump.  It's dark, dirty, ugly, cold and sad.  I got my vaccine there and i just felt like, there is nothing exciting about this place.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, I-90 W said:

We don’t have any more patience. 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

1 hour ago, I-90 W said:

Rebuilds have several negative tangible side effects, and our fan base can’t take it anymore.

I get this. It was late April 2013 when Darcy made the "some suffering" remark.

OTOH, what sound choice does the franchise really have here other than a nearly total tear-down? I suggest that there is no other good choice here. Or, at least, that rebuilding is the least worst choice available.

2 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

Same goes for fans, the stadiums a dump.  It's dark, dirty, ugly, cold and sad.  I got my vaccine there and i just felt like, there is nothing exciting about this place.

I tend to disagree. Winning solves everything. That arena was plenty vibrant in the springs of 1999 and 2006.

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

OTOH, what sound choice does the franchise really have here other than a nearly total tear-down? I suggest that there is no other good choice here. Or, at least, that rebuilding is the least worst choice available.

Why?

Can someone tell me why we can’t trade Eichel to Winnipeg for Scheifele? 

So now it looks like we're going to be trading Eichel and we're going to be trusting a rookie GM who has already made some pretty big mistakes in his early tender to make that trade.  Awesome.  This franchise is an absolute tire fire.

Just now, That Aud Smell said:

I tend to disagree. Winning solves everything. That arena was plenty vibrant in the springs of 1999 and 2006.

yeah, i don't think its been cleaned since then.

1 minute ago, Derrico said:

So now it looks like we're going to be trading Eichel and we're going to be trusting a rookie GM who has already made some pretty big mistakes in his early tender to make that trade.  Awesome.  This franchise is an absolute tire fire.

Oh I expect to got our a$$ handed to us this trade (and Sam). Can’t wait to see the advertisement for season tickets. It will be entertaining. Watching the Sabres skate to 65 points next year will not. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Why?

Can someone tell me why we can’t trade Eichel to Winnipeg for Scheifele? 

I guess if there's a player for player trade to be had ... maybe? I'm just assuming that the deals to be had are going to be in the nature of something like a good NHL player, 2 of their top-5 prospects, and a 1st round pick.

• Like (+1) 1

Total tear down? Just trade him for a really good player! Of course the guy will be a notch below, that’s why the other team makes the trade! Yes, we “lose” the trade - it’s an unwinnable trade. Sunk cost, whatever - get the BEST player you can. Swallow the cough syrup. We done effed up so we are going to have to take a hit.

But we get a player. 

People complain about Jack’s attitude anyways. Insert any “we’ll gain for moving him, team psyche-wise” notions you want here, to make the trade more palatable to you. 

4 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

A tear-down implies they built something. They are a last-place team with a bad reputation.

Trading Jack and Sam and Risto makes them a last-place team with a bad reputation.

It also adds the assets returned in those trades to a young base of Dahlin, Jokiharju, Bryson, Borgen, Samuelsson, Quinn, Peterka, Cozens, Mittelstadt, Asplund, Thompson, Luukkonnen and a top-three pick, and gives them $45 million in cap space in a flat-cap summer.

A good GM working for a good owner would shape those assets into a playoff contender this summer.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.