Jack Eichel Presser on Monday 5-10-21

Brawndo

25 minutes ago, Curt said:

If Jack is traded, it’s not going to be because of a disagreement about his injury.  It perhaps played a part in the story, but it is just one event in the overarching plot line.

He has obviously been unhappy with the organization for quite some time, before KA even took over, and that is going to bleed into all other aspects of how they interact with each other.  The relationship is fractured.  He doesn’t trust the organization.  That was probably the case before he was even injured.

And Adams has thrown gasoline on the fire.

Maybe an experienced GM who has dealt with player issues could, I don't know, smooth things over with the team's All Star center?

Or we can just let Adams double-down on his incompetence and negotiate a Botterill special (three piece deal) for Eichel.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

I'm afraid of overreaction:

My concerns instead of trading Jack......

Get Jack back healthy

Get another goalie to pair with Ullmark

Have a healty Jack, Ullmark, McCabe and add to what we saw with DG

Draft Matt Beniers

Get Jack Healthy

Oh did I mention get Jack back healthy

Don't overreact and bale out

Edited by Torpedo Forecheck
  • Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I wonder if there were/will be any "holy *****!" moments in the league offices. Destroying your relationship with your franchise player is not a good look for the Pegulas.

I wonder if the League insists on the Sabres hiring a President of Hockey Ops, as John Wawrow and Lance Lysowski are suggesting 

6 hours ago, Trettioåtta said:

What would they do if he did just get it done? Void his contract?

They can, but the real danger to Eichel is He is forced to retire from the Neck Injury before His Deal is up, they can void the contract on the basis that he received treatment they didn’t approve, I believe 

4 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

michkov is better then both  Combined

разве ты не слышал о политике отсутствия российских игроков

3 hours ago, jad1 said:

The Bills changed their entire offense for Allen, signed a bunch of free agents, and traded a 1st round pick for a star receiver.

It's easy to be a leader when you have a competent front office and coaching staff that you believe in.

Meanwhile Eichel has played for a bunch of clown GMs and coaches who never could build a team around him, all while becoming a top 10 center who consistently raised the game of his linemates.

And now the team is f###ing around with his health. 

Can't imagine why he's so different from Josh Allen as a leader. 🤔

GMTM was pissed off when Edmonton won the lottery and did not hide His Disdain about it. Saying we are getting a great player in Jack would have been the proper course. 

Watching His Friends starting with Jaime McGinn (traded for a 3rd Round Pick) get moved after he publicly mentioned what a help he was. And no I do not believe this was intentional.

Watching the team make half hearted attempts at improvements with seemingly no master plan.

Watching the entire hockey ops department get nuked, and having people with no or minimal experience 

Watching as You Mentioned, The Bills put their Franchise Player in position to succeed from surrounding Him with Talent and the coaching even though he was drafted three years later 

3 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

You still can't trade him for a bag of pucks now.  If you can get one of the top prospects in hockey (Byfield, Dach, Lafreniere), plus plus then they need to seriously consider it. Or you go to Calgary and bring back Tkachuk, Zary and a 1st. 

I doubt teams offer that though with his injury.   

So I think he's back in october until he proves he is healthy again. They either start winning and all is forgotten or you trade him then.  IMHO

Tkatchuk and Lindholm 

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

There’s nothing stopping him from getting his surgery. He’ll be breaking no laws. Sure, he’ll be in breach of his contract, but so what? If this were to happen, the Sabres could try to void the rest of his contract, like they did for Berglund, but I doubt they would. If they did, Jack would then be a free agent and could go to whatever team he chooses. 

I’m well aware of what the CBA say. So, I ask you. What would the repercussions be?

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

Why in the world didn't the agent do this earlier?  Wow.

He and the team could have agreed to attempt rehab to see if the disc improved with the understanding he had until a certain date to get the surgery done so he properly prepare for next season. That date is rapidly approaching with the Sabres still saying no to the procedure. He may not have wanted alienate the situation until getting the PA involved was absolutely necessary. 

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

I'd be more excited about it if I trusted the folks in the charge.     We have a rookie GM who's been on the job for what... 6-7 months?   A barebones scouting department.    This is a major crossroads for the organization and yet there is still no real leadership at any level.     It's basically come down to KA and TP spitballing on his yacht in Boca Raton.   What could possibly go wrong?

C3C7A575-6F4F-4EE8-B4AD-473B1BC36A99.thumb.jpeg.5ba88273148eff62aadb2c353f1f3ab0.jpeg

death of Quint.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

Yeah. Maybe to the tune of $50 million

But according to @kas23, that's irrelevant.

Ok, he’s surgery goes bad, he loses $50M. His surgery goes well. His contract is void. He becomes a FA, he’ll likely recoup that $50M fairly quickly in the form of a new contract of his choosing. So, he has the choice to have surgery, does he not?

Let’s say he doesn’t want to roll those dice. He wants to keep his $50M. Doesn’t want to risk it, even though the man himself says he desires surgery. Does he have a single reason to complain?

That’s what I’m saying. If he’s complaining about how the Sabres are denying him surgery, he’s completely within his right to undergo surgery, no? What exactly is he looking for? Permission from Mom and Dad?

Just now, Let's Go B-Lo said:

The point is the Sabres would be the ones to choose to void the contract or not, not Jack. If the surgery went well they wouldn't void it

Ok, he chooses to have surgery. Goes splendidly and he’s pain free. Everyone is happy (until next season...).

In another scenario, surgery goes very bad as Sabres docs said it could. He’s damaged goods, his contract is void, and he loses $50M. 

Given these scenarios, are the Sabres forcing a medical decision on him as some here are suggesting? Is he in the right to publicly complain of his treatment? Answer is “no” and it’s not because of his “contract” as he spelled out. He has the God given right to do whatever he wants to his body, contract or no contract. There may be consequences though. 

My personal opinion is he’s being selfish and thinks his medical opinion (he’s the one who said he wants surgery at today’s presser) is better than the Sabres medical establishment. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Ok, he’s surgery goes bad, he loses $50M. His surgery goes well. His contract is void. He becomes a FA, he’ll likely recoup that $50M fairly quickly in the form of a new contract of his choosing. So, he has the choice to have surgery, does he not?

Let’s say he doesn’t want to roll those dice. He wants to keep his $50M. Doesn’t want to risk it, even though the man himself says he desires surgery. Does he have a single reason to complain?

That’s what I’m saying. If he’s complaining about how the Sabres are denying him surgery, he’s completely within his right to undergo surgery, no? What exactly is he looking for? Permission from Mom and Dad?

I hope you are never my boss!

48 minutes ago, kas23 said:

There’s no evidence he has received a “variety” of medical opinions. Do you evidence otherwise? All we know is that he has received at least 1, that of the team. In likelihood, he received at least another, but this and beyond this opinion is just speculation. 

I agree it's speculation. It just seems a lot more likely than the idea that he has done nothing more than use google. 

9 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

I hope you are never my boss!

There’s no touchy-feely stuff here. He has a contract. He can honor it, or he can not honor it. He has complete control over what happens to his body though, not his boss. But, there may be consequences to his decision. All decisions have potential consequences. 

btw, my employees love me. None of them would’ve got to the point of Eichel. But, since he’s aired his laundry in public, he’s now going to face brutal criticism. 

6 minutes ago, fiftyone said:

I agree it's speculation. It just seems a lot more likely than the idea that he has done nothing more than use google. 

I’m a physician btw and you would be shocked. Not saying you are wrong though. But, it seems everyone has taken a class from Google Medical School nowadays. I wouldn’t be completely surprised if Jack got a second opinion, who then recommended surgery. Jack goes home and Googles it and reads about some success stories and begins to idealize this option. 

Edited by kas23
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

1)  I can’t believe there are still folks on this board who continue to pay for the product.  I get that there are traditions, you like seeing your friends and reliving old times, etc., but come on - go to a bar.  Coming here to complain and then digging in about “never canceling my seasons” is idiocy at its highest.  Vote with your pocket book or honestly, shut up.

2)  I’d like to formally apologize to PA and change my vote in the “is Kim Pegula qualified?” thread

3)  Remeber: one thing, and only one thing, motivates the Pegulas to act: getting embarrassed.  Expect action.

4)  All of that said, Jack Eichel is, and always has been, a little bitch.

1) some of us season ticket holders who should just "shut up" continue to pay because our kids still like to go to watch hockey

2, 3 and 4 yes

1 minute ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

You can have that opinion.  Jack's doctor doesn't represent anyone but Jack's interests (and their own) the Sabres team doctors represent the team's interests.  With something funny like spinal surgery, with tens of millions of dollars at stake, it doesn't surprise me at all that there is a difference of opinion.

Standard of care for disc herniations is conservative care as most herniated discs will resolve on their own. Now, when will that happen? Very hard to tell. But surgery not what you go to first.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Ok, he chooses to have surgery. Goes splendidly and he’s pain free. Everyone is happy (until next season...).

In another scenario, surgery goes very bad as Sabres docs said it could. He’s damaged goods, his contract is void, and he loses $50M. 

Given these scenarios, are the Sabres forcing a medical decision on him as some here are suggesting? Is he in the right to publicly complain of his treatment? Answer is “no” and it’s not because of his “contract” as he spelled out. He has the God given right to do whatever he wants to his body, contract or no contract. There may be consequences though. 

My personal opinion is he’s being selfish and thinks his medical opinion (he’s the one who said he wants surgery at today’s presser) is better than the Sabres medical establishment. 

I'd say that's likely 

1 minute ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Which makes it odd that the player wants the surgery and the team does not.

*the*sabres*medical*staff*doesn't*know*what*they*are*doing*

10 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I'd say that's likely 

*the*sabres*medical*staff*doesn't*know*what*they*are*doing*

I'm guessing timeframe is the issue.  "Resolve on their own" takes time.  A professional athlete's enemy is time.

I'd fire KA. I don't care when he was hired...he's a weasel. So is Eichel, for making up this song and dance about the disagreement about the operation...it was really just his awkward, passive-aggressive way of orchestrating himself out of town. Blame the organization and make them look like the bad guys.

Management should've sat down with Eichel quietly and asked if he wanted to stay or go. If he said he wanted to go, they should have given him a dignified exit and traded him. But they blew it up into this ugly thing because basically management are weasels. Now Buffalo is up for league-wide ridicule again.

But Kim will hire another dud and the s***show will continue because she's incompetent, calculating, self-absorbed, conniving,manipulative, unethical, negative and a bad manager. The organization reflects the top manager. The problem here isn't Eichel, it's the Pegulas. And specifically Kim Pegula. Jack just didn't want to play in Buffalo anymore and she wouldn't accomodate him. If he doesn't want to play, he's not going to play, let him go with dignity. 

Terry please find something else for your trophy wife/handler to do.

Edited by Kong
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Well, I just watched the full 24-minute presser.  There is no doubt in my mind that Eichel wants out (no kidding!) and is completely sideways with KA.

I also think it's not impossible that after a cooling-off period, if the Sabres take positive steps (credible coach and FO moves, goaltending, extension for Reino, etc.), the relationship could be repaired and he could stay.

But I think it's more likely that KA has decided -- as many GMs have done and will do so again -- that if Eichel doesn't want to be here, it will be better for the team to move him out.  So I think it's more likely that he is traded.

And with that, the Hindenburg-level debacle that was the tank will reach its final chapter.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Completely odd. What’s even more strange is that Jack is talking about this to reporters. 

For the record, it’s hard to have an opinion on this one. We don’t know the facts. There’s only 2 things we know; Sabres medical staff recommended surgery AND Jack Eichel disagrees with them. I think most of agree Jack should’ve kept his thoughts to himself. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

Well, I just watched the full 24-minute presser.  There is no doubt in my mind that Eichel wants out (no kidding!) and is completely sideways with KA.

I also think it's not impossible that after a cooling-off period, if the Sabres take positive steps (credible coach and FO moves, goaltending, extension for Reino, etc.), the relationship could be repaired and he could stay.

But I think it's more likely that KA has decided -- as many GMs have done and will do so again -- that if Eichel doesn't want to be here, it will be better for the team  him to move him out.  So I think it's more likely that he is traded.

And with that, the Hindenburg-level debacle that was the tank will reach its final chapter.

FTFY.  😉

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Is that really an issue? I'm thinking Cozens, Mitts, Alsplund, etc. Who was a total bust?

Drafts under late-Regier and Murray were pretty awful.  Since Botterill they are looking much more promising.

3 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Completely odd. What’s even more strange is that Jack is talking about this to reporters. 

For the record, it’s hard to have an opinion on this one. We don’t know the facts. There’s only 2 things we know; Sabres medical staff recommended surgery AND Jack Eichel disagrees with them. I think most of agree Jack should’ve kept his thoughts to himself. 

I read this and I had to look this up. You have it backwards on who wants surgery.

from the Athletic...

It turns out Eichel’s herniated disk isn’t the only pain in his neck. The Sabres added to his misery by fighting against Eichel’s desire for surgery. The organization has held firm that time and rehab will correct the ailment, which ended Eichel’s season March 7, while the captain wants to take a proactive approach.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

But I think it's more likely that KA has decided -- as many GMs have done and will do so again -- that if Eichel doesn't want to be here, it will be better for the team to move him out.  So I think it's more likely that he is traded.

At some point I wish teams (including Buffalo here) show some backbone and say "you're under contract, we expect you to be a professional and fulfill your part of the contract....end of story)!  The Sabres are going to get hosed on any deal, so do NOT make a deal and instead make this situation work and keep him on the team.  I still don't want to see him traded even after the presser.

Edited by Carmel Corn
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Is that really an issue? I'm thinking Cozens, Mitts, Alsplund, etc. Who was a total bust?

Cozens, Mitts are ok for #1s, They're developing and I hoping for the best. Asplund I like and hope they give him a chance. A stroke of luck by TM with Olofsson as a 6th or 7th? Samuelsson, I hope for good things. Dahlin...I've seen some great things from him and not so great too. Jury's out. No total busts, just nobody and I mean nobody who sets the world on fire in one way or another. I think at least at this point, that's what we need.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.