Jack Eichel Presser on Monday 5-10-21

Brawndo

1 minute ago, inkman said:

I know why you reacted this way @Thorny .  Something isn’t right though.  Nothing the fancy stats will show.  Is Jack a terrible influence off the ice?  Does he put in the extra work?  Does he take the young guys out get them all ***** up.  I know if the leaders at my job half ass it or even worse, show no commitment to the organization, my commitment level will follow suit. 

Apparently he's working out too much and that's how he got hurt in the first place. Maybe if the team has better strength and conditioning staff they could have guided the 24 year old through a better offseason regimen. 

I don't dismiss that Jack is a bad influence at this point. I'm just saying, it's the organization that turned Anakin into Vader. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Did anyone ask him how he got injured before training camp?

If it was non-hockey related, then ***** him.

He said he was shooting at HSBC & over torqued a rib and the tip snapped.  Very fluky injury, but those fluke injuries do on occasion happen.

He also said the groin injury that was bothering him at the end of the previous year still isn't right.

And then listed the other items that happened in season.  (Ankle & herniated disk.)

Edited by Taro T
  • Thanks (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

You can look at it from the spectrum of other players and how they would have handled it as well.  Many would want to play through an injury, lead their guys on the ice during a coaching transition.  Eichel wanted to make sure he was good to go for 2021 season, because deep down he hopes its for someone else.  

When faced with a possibly career-ending, life-altering injury, those people would be called stupid

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Seems like this is setting up to be a healthy split between "team Jack" and "team Sabres" amongst the fanbase.

One thing i'll say is that I don't blame him one bit for the "look out for number 1" mentality he seems to have. Everyone is doing themselves a disservice if they're not looking out for themselves first and foremest, especially in a line of work like this where injury could impact the majority of your life -- the part after you're done playing. I'm shocked that people are taking a stance against that. 

Just now, Eleven said:

Yes.  ESPN's front page has a top 25 WNBA player ranking.

In Canada where people pretend hockey is the only sport, they are less familiar with the other 3 major NA sports which are more accustomed to the stars "sounding off". Jack's comments weren't that crazy in a larger sporting context at all, but in the conservative world of hockey and the world of the suit and tie, good ole' canadian boy line of outdated thinking, Jack's bit today comes off quite scandalous indeed. 

2 hours ago, Curt said:

I think this team is going to be starting over.  I’m not that sad about it.

I kind of am.  Not that they don't need to start over, but because the last ten years have been such a ***** show and I can't envision a scenario where there isn't another ten years of this.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, fiftyone said:

Seems like this is setting up to be a healthy split between "team Jack" and "team Sabres" amongst the fanbase.

One thing i'll say is that I don't blame him one bit for the "look out for number 1" mentality he seems to have. Everyone is doing themselves a disservice if they're not looking out for themselves first and foremest, especially in a line of work like this where injury could impact the majority of your life -- the part after you're done playing. I'm shocked that people are taking a stance against that. 

Is there a team Jack or are their just people who want him on the team? I’ve met very few Sabres fans who name Jack Eichel as their favorite player. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Does anybody think that part of the reason Eichel brought this up at the press conference is to goad/shame management into letting him get the surgery he thinks will get his game back on track & leave him with a better quality of life post-NHL and NOT necessarily to get himself out of town?

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

The team has to get ahead of his NMC that kicks in during the 2022-23 season. You can’t let another top player rag doll you because of a clause. Get the best deal now.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. the teams that have the prospects that could make a trade work are ones that he wouldn't say no to.

Chicago, NYR and LA Kings...no one has them on their no trade list.

However, if they figure out a trade that includes Lafreniere, Byfield or Dach this summer, Im definitely listening after today.  I wouldn't have said that before today.

13 minutes ago, inkman said:

Paul Hamilton on WGR now to discuss this.  Can’t wait...

Animated GIF

Paul’s first take.  The Pegulas didn’t like what Jack said today.  Cue the breaking news music. Holy ***** I can’t believe this guy makes a living that 50% of the board could do 10x the job he does. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, #freejame said:

Is there a team Jack or are their just people who want him on the team? I’ve met very few Sabres fans who name Jack Eichel as their favorite player. 

You may be right, but i'm not sure the distinction really matters in my mind for this scenario. I'm just talking about the Sabres or Jack being at fault for this situation

Just now, Taro T said:

Does anybody think that part of the reason Eichel brought this up at the press conference is to goad/shame management into letting him get the surgery he thinks will get his game back on track & leave him with a better quality of life post-NHL and NOT necessarily to get himself out of town?

Definitely on the first bold. 95% on the second bold. Completely unwilling to speculate of the last. I wasnt thinking of my future quality of life when I was injuring myself at his age. I was, however, doing the first two bolds.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

I was thinking (hoping?) that, as well. Also was of the same mind with @nfreeman's comments about getting the right people in the FO to make our best players feel better about staying. #optimisticsomehow

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Taro T said:

I figure that is part of it.  It is his life and neck injuries should always be handled with the method that is a saddle point for the widest margin for error, maximum safety, and maximum chance of success, shortest recovery time, and sustainability.  Honestly, the Sabres should have let him make the decision.  My Dad knew one of the top neurosurgeons in the country (Pittsburgh) -- they need a 3rd party perspective and respect Jack's call.

If it were me, I would be Jack right now.

2 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Clearly you haven't heard or watch him the Russian are  Labelling him as the best Russian ever And he will be better than OV 

I remember Yakushev...

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, fiftyone said:

You may be right, but i'm not sure the distinction really matters in my mind for this scenario. I'm just talking about the Sabres or Jack being at fault for this situation

Ah, gotcha. I misread it a bit. I agree with Jack in this instance regarding his personal health, but I hold no allegiance to him or think he has ever conducted himself well as a Sabre.  

2 hours ago, I-90 W said:

I think they’ll just be silent, KA has work to do. And I for one hope he goes out west, don’t need to see him lighting it up against us all season. But whatever gives us the best return.

If they trade Eich, they need to hang onto Risto, because.... reasons. 😡

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.