OT Glasgow Clan Thread

steveoath

Petition To Global Mutual (new owners of the Braehead Arena, home of the Glasgow Clan and Paisley Pirates)

If you can spare a few minutes could you possibly visit the above link to sign this petition that may help save my local rink and hockey team.

The previous owner/operator of the ice rink here have went into liquidation. A new owner has taken over, and are considering a change of use for the facilities - used for hockey, curling, public skate, coaching, "on ice" shows like cirque du soleil.

From the link:

"With no current home ice to play out of, and already a huge lack of other local ice facilities in Scotland, a change of arena used by the current ownership Global Mutual is a threat. Not only a threat to the future of a team, that many support and love, but also to a facility that is used by many of the local community via multi ice sports, at all levels, across the area and Central Belt of Scotland. It would be a travesty if we lose access to this facility within our local community which would threaten the existence of a team that brings so much financially to the area on match days via the huge home and away fan bases, as retail tries to recover from the current pandemic.

Over the past 11 years, the Glasgow Clan has been the main tenant in the building at Braehead Arena, with the owner a customer for over 20 years and the Paisley Pirates a tenant for 14 years. Following the collapse of Intu Braehead Leisure in late 2020 the Glasgow Clan have been in negotiations with London-based new owners of Braehead Shopping Centre with the objective of becoming the new operating company of Braehead Arena.

This long-term commitment by the Glasgow Clan to maintain and grow ice sports at Braehead Arena, in addition to ambitious and substantial infrastructure plans for the venue, will secure the future of this facility for the benefit of the local community and surrounding areas. 

We would ask Global Mutual to enter positive discussions imminently with the Glasgow Clan to help secure their future as well as that of the Paisley Pirates, all ice users and the wider community. By providing the current Glasgow Clan organisation with the security of ownership we believe this will secure future access to this premier ice facility for all community users". 

Cheers

Steve

Edited by steveoath
We have positive outcome
  • Like (+1) 4

• 1 month later...
  • steveoath changed the title to OT - Glasgow Clan New Season is "GO"!
  • 4 months later...

First live hockey for me since I can't remember! Feels good to get a bit of normal,  I have been struggling with isolation of late. 

Playing our arch nemesis Fife Flyers,  and we're up 2-0 at the first intermission. 

Also,  Clan now run the rink and have it for another 20 years as part of larger community venue.

1638301797347.jpg

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, steveoath said:

First live hockey for me since I can't remember! Feels good to get a bit of normal,  I have been struggling with isolation of late. 

Playing our arch nemesis Fife Flyers,  and we're up 2-0 at the first intermission. 

Also,  Clan now run the rink and have it for another 20 years as part of larger community venue.

1638301797347.jpg

Happy for you 😃

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, steveoath said:

1638301797347.jpg

I approve of that beautiful orange and white bastard! 

• Haha (+1) 1

• 4 months later...

Clan lose 2 goals in the third. Cardiff win 5-4 and progress to finals weekend. Season is over for us 😢

Overall this was a decent season under the new head coach. Hopefully we can keep a few of the players around. Shane Starrett in goal was very good in particular and I would like to see him back. 

6 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Clan lose 2 goals in the third. Cardiff win 5-4 and progress to finals weekend. Season is over for us 😢

Overall this was a decent season under the new head coach. Hopefully we can keep a few of the players around. Shane Starrett in goal was very good in particular and I would like to see him back. 

Bummer.

Misunderstood your earlier post about winning by 2 goals to move on.    D'oh!

Must've been a wild 3rd if there were 9 goals scored in that frame.

23 minutes ago, steveoath said:

How many imports on the Clan?

We have 17 imports this year.

Rules changed last season and the maximum number of overseas players on a roster was dropped to 18. 

15 hours ago, Taro T said:

Bummer.

Misunderstood your earlier post about winning by 2 goals to move on.    D'oh!

Must've been a wild 3rd if there were 9 goals scored in that frame.

They way it worked was the goals from the first game (Saturday) were added to Sundays game. Saturday finished 4-3 to the Clan and Sunday finished 2-0 to Cardiff. So we lose 4-5 overall.

Edited by steveoath

6 hours ago, steveoath said:

We have 17 imports this year.

Rules changed last season and the maximum number of overseas players on a roster was dropped to 18. 

They way it worked was the goals from the first game (Saturday) were added to Sundays game. Saturday finished 4-3 to the Clan and Sunday finished 2-0 to Cardiff. So we lose 4-5 overall.

OK, so my understanding of it was right the 1st time.  🍺

Tough way to lose.  At least it seems you no longer have to worry about them folding.  Get 'em next year.  (The Sabres rallying cry.  😉 )

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 months later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.