Will Jack's Role On This Team Be Different Next Year?

bob_sauve28

T6 addition - Couturier - Cozens

Skinner - Reinhart - Konecny 

Asplund - Mittelstadt - Ruotsalainen

Girgensons - Vet 4C - Okposo

Dahlin - Jokijarju

Samuelsson - Ristolainen

Bryson - Myers

Borgen

(Traded 1st)

Ullmark

- - - 

4C could be UFA, Olofsson and even Risto trade possibilities, along with other later picks, for T6F addition. The traded first from Philly can be for the T6 forward and the G acquired by way of the other mentioned pieces. 

If Jack wants out, that looks more than reasonable to me. 

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

It's possible, but I view Briere as a 1C

Additionally, neither Cozens or Zegras are 2Cs right now, Mittelstadt may not be either, so we'd probably be in tough next year. But again, if we are trading Jack and that's the return, we are "taking a step back" from playoffs being the endgame 

We’d need to make another deal for at least 1 good, established top 6 wing to make it a win next year situation.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Weave said:

We’d need to make another deal for at least 1 good, established top 6 wing to make it a win next year situation.

Agree - the thing is, I think we needed that anyways, and that was with Jack. I don't think Sam Reinhart is feasible as a playoff team 1C over 82 games, at least, I wouldn't bet on it, and I definitely am a card-carrying member of his fan club. Like you, I still see RW as where he sits LT. 

Big reason I don't want to trade Jack is I highly highly doubt we get a Couturier like C in return. Who'd be close enough to Jack theoretically that we are sitting at a potential net-plus after factoring in the gap between Konecny, who I really like, and Thompson. 

Just now, Thorny said:

Agree - the thing is, I think we needed that anyways, and that was with Jack. I don't think Sam Reinhart is feasible as a playoff team 1C over 82 games, at least, I wouldn't bet on it, and I definitely am a card-carrying member of his fan club. Like you, I still see RW as where he sits LT. 

absolutely a good top 6 wing should be on out priority shopping list either way, but the importance goes way up if our center spine suddenly gets 5 yrs younger.

1 minute ago, Weave said:

absolutely a good top 6 wing should be on out priority shopping list either way, but the importance goes way up if our center spine suddenly gets 5 yrs younger.

Agree, just very skeptical of them making that type of win-now move after dealing a player like Jack. I still think if we move him they view it as extending our road to the playoffs, rather than a "let's convert Jack into a assets that make winning next season even more likely" type move. 

They have to both want to focus on making the playoffs after making that deal, and the league as a whole has to present KA with win now pieces in said deal (or pieces like 1st that can be converted into such). But again, willingness to convert factors in

12 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Agree, just very skeptical of them making that type of win-now move after dealing a player like Jack. I still think if we move him they view it as extending our road to the playoffs, rather than a "let's convert Jack into a assets that make winning next season even more likely" type move. 

They have to both want to focus on making the playoffs after making that deal, and the league as a whole has to present KA with win now pieces in said deal (or pieces like 1st that can be converted into such). But again, willingness to convert factors in

We’d have cap space for flexibility.

If we were to move Jack it would have to be part of a win now move because Sam would be the next to want out if we have another year floundering in the desert.

It gets me that if the Sabres are lucky enough to get a productive superstar or two to come to town, these guys end up dictating the terms of either their contract or their trade or both. Now that Buffalo has been branded a perennial loser, I wonder if the current Buffalo management has any leverage at all in getting productive trade returns. Maybe the Sabres management must accept the table scraps that are given to them in a trade. Their incompetence doesn't help. Hasek was the first, probably O'Reilly and Hall forced their way out and made sure that the Sabres got very little in return. Eichel it seems is next; he probably sees how easy it is to force the Sabres to make a lopsided trade.

• Like (+1) 1

Jack for Couturier-plus is exactly the type of trade I think we will see if Jack is moved.

A hockey trade between two disappointing teams looking to shake up their cores.

Columbus is another target (Seth Jones?) Calgary (Tkachuk?) Anaheim (Gibson?). I expect the playoffs will shake another one or two candidates lose.

Regarding the Flyers, I’d pay attention to Risto in any blockbuster. They are in the market for a nasty RD and big Rasmus fits both Philly and Chuck Fletcher to a T.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Jack for Couturier-plus is exactly the type of trade I think we will see if Jack is moved.

Columbus is another target (Seth Jones?) Calgary (Tkachuk?) Anaheim (Gibson?). I expect the playoffs will shake another one or two candidates lose.

Regarding the Flyers, I’d pay attention to Risto in any blockbuster. They are in the market for a nasty RD and big Rasmus fits both Philly and Chuck Fletcher to a T.

My main issue with that trade proposal is that Couturier will be 29 this coming season, you're going to trade Jack for a guy who's about to slide into 30?? So you don't improve next year and then you just impaired your future when you hope the younger guys come around. Myers is also a RD  which of course is exactly what we need more of 🙄

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, jsb said:

My main issue with that trade proposal is that Couturier will be 29 this coming season, you're going to trade Jack for a guy who's about to slide into 30?? So you don't improve next year and then you just impaired your future when you hope the younger guys come around. Myers is also a RD  which of course is exactly what we need more of 🙄

Which is why I think the Flyers would definitely be adding young elements with upside to counteract that issue.

Couturier helps us now and is capable of being your top matchup centre for at least another three more years as Cozens and Mitts mature.

Couturier 28, Reinhart 25, Mitts 22, Cozens 20 to start the season is not a concern.

Again, not advocating this particular trade, just talking about the type of trade the Sabres need to look at — one that brings in at least one player who is very good right now, in addition to a lottery ticket(s).

Separately: Bogosian is gone, Montour is gone, Miller is going, Risto could be as well, and Borgen is an expansion draft candidate. Johnson, Samuelsson and Bryson are lefties.

The only RHD we can count on moving forward is Jokiharju. It's not the strong point you think it is.

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Which is why I think the Flyers would definitely be adding young elements with upside to counteract that issue.

Couturier helps us now and is capable of being your top matchup centre for at least another three more years as Cozens and Mitts mature.

Couturier 28, Reinhart 25, Mitts 22, Cozens 20 to start the season is not a concern.

Again, not advocating this particular trade, just talking about the type of trade the Sabres need to look at — one that brings in at least one player who is very good right now, in addition to a lottery ticket(s).

Separately: Bogosian is gone, Montour is gone, Miller is going, Risto could be as well, and Borgen is an expansion draft candidate. Johnson, Samuelsson and Bryson are lefties.

The only RHD we can count on moving forward is Jokiharju. It's not the strong point you think it is.

Couturier will be 29 later this year. I guess what I'd like to see if you're going to trade Jack is to get younger mainly because the speed, youth experiment seemed to work at the end of the year and this is the direction we should have used 5 years ago instead of picking up pieces that didn't work. Figure out what/who your core is and build a culture off of that, quit bringing in mercenaries Hall/Stall/Eakins who have zero stake into turning this franchise around and who come primarily for the money and want to leave the first sign of adversity the team has in that given year. To me this team's young guys have bought into whatever they're trying to build, build on that and quit adding pieces that have zero interest in staying around.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

We’d have cap space for flexibility.

If we were to move Jack it would have to be part of a win now move because Sam would be the next to want out if we have another year floundering in the desert.

I think they are a package deal. As Finkle goes so does Einhorn

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Seth Jones isn't that good 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, jsb said:

These trades are almost always something for now plus something for later.  Veteran center and a young center or center prospect is typical.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I'm not advocating a trade for Jack. But if he were dealt I would rather see him go to the Rangers for young players such as Kakko and LaFreniere plus a high end prospect. This would be a fair trade for both teams and a good situation for Jack in a more sparkling market. In my view this proposed trade would not set the franchise back in the short run. It would add more talent to the roster and continue with the trend of accumulating young players who still have a lot of upside. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.