Will Jack's Role On This Team Be Different Next Year?

bob_sauve28

It will be good to get a healthy Jack Eichel back in the line up. 

Jack will be returning to a very different team from the one he left. Not only will there be a new coach but there are new and better players on the roster with more scoring potential, a defense that seems at least to have the making of a group that can grow together with the prospects of success. 

RK used Jack a lot. He may have overused him at times. Now that there is more scoring spread throughout the line up I just wonder how much that changes how Jack is used. Instead of double shifting him, maybe he gets used more like Marchant on the PK. I know he has at times done that, but it wouldn't mind seeing him there all the time. 

Thoughts? 

Hoping he's back & until he's gone will assume he's coming back.

Expect his role will be similar to what it was but expect his ice time to drop a couple of minutes per game as even if there aren't any moves this team's 2nd line WILL be better than what the Staal line was.

Bottom 2 lines likely will also be better than what was here when Eichel was "healthy."  If the other lines are useful, the coach won't feel the need to overplay Eichel every game.

Bring in a couple of upgrades over what's here & it just makes it that much easier to keep him ~20-21 minutes.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

Hoping he's back & until he's gone will assume he's coming back.

Expect his role will be similar to what it was but expect his ice time to drop a couple of minutes per game as even if there aren't any moves this team's 2nd line WILL be better than what the Staal line was.

Bottom 2 lines likely will also be better than what was here when Eichel was "healthy."  If the other lines are useful, the coach won't feel the need to overplay Eichel every game.

Bring in a couple of upgrades over what's here & it just makes it that much easier to keep him ~20-21 minutes.

This.  123%.

• Thanks (+1) 2

Jack will be back. 

He is going nowhere until he proves he is healthy, fully recovered from his injury and playing like the Jack that we know he can be.

He will determine his place on the team by how well he plays, how well he handles the difficulties he will face (ie- not pouting, always skating hard and not giving up on any play) and how good of a teammate and veteran leadership he provides.

The first month will set the tone. I'd be excited to see the 2019-20 version of Jack back in the blue and gold.

• Like (+1) 2

If he's back it will be interesting who's on the team and what the lines might look like. Stats from March 29th on are as follows with the famous +/- ratings included: 22 games each except where noted, why 3/29 because this is when the turnaround started.

• Reinhart   19 points   -6
  • Casey M. 16 points   +3
  • Victor O.  11 points    -3
  • Dahlin.     11 points    -4
  • Tage T.    10 points    -1
  • Risto.       10 points    -1
  • Skinner.    9 points.   +1
  • Asplund.   9 points    +/-  0.   20 games
  • Cozens.    7 points.   -9
  • Bjork.        6 points.  -4.         14 games

Skinner-Reinhart-Olofsson line with 39 points with disclaimer of some on PP. While the ATM line with 35 points with a +2 rating. Is it possible with a couple of guys  (Cozens possibly being 1 of them) to play with Jack that we actually for the 1st time in years have 3 lines that can score?? Do we stick with the young guys and get a couple of GKs or do we blow it up and start all over again?? As for Casey M., I always thought he'd eventually become a player but never in my wildest dreams did I think he'd do it this quick, what an outstanding pass to TT yesterday and also one to Asplund that he unfortunately didn't convert. I think even @nfreeman might jump on his bandwagon sooner than later. He's now 1 point behind Dahlin for the 3rd highest scorer on the team. 

As a side note for all the Risto bashers, 1 point behind Dahlin and a better +/- than he has also. But alas he sucks.

Edited by jsb
Risto info
  • Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, irregularly irregular said:

Jack will be back. 

He is going nowhere until he proves he is healthy, fully recovered from his injury and playing like the Jack that we know he can be.

He will determine his place on the team by how well he plays, how well he handles the difficulties he will face (ie- not pouting, always skating hard and not giving up on any play) and how good of a teammate and veteran leadership he provides.

The first month will set the tone. I'd be excited to see the 2019-20 version of Jack back in the blue and gold.

Another ten game winning streak? 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

I don't see his role as SabreSpace Whipping Boy changing

Yeah, I dunno. For a looooong time, any criticism of Jack was not met kindly. This season things started to change. And probably rightly so. It was a bad look for Jack most nights. People can point to injury, but I wonder what injury had Jack chatting with his buddy on the Isles about his buddy's stick. He checked out.

I do wonder how a 10 million dollar player on a 31st place team can ever be a "whipping boy."

19 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

It will be good to get a healthy Jack Eichel back in the line up. 

Jack will be returning to a very different team from the one he left. Not only will there be a new coach but there are new and better players on the roster with more scoring potential, a defense that seems at least to have the making of a group that can grow together with the prospects of success. 

RK used Jack a lot. He may have overused him at times. Now that there is more scoring spread throughout the line up I just wonder how much that changes how Jack is used. Instead of double shifting him, maybe he gets used more like Marchant on the PK. I know he has at times done that, but it wouldn't mind seeing him there all the time. 

Thoughts? 

My thoughts are that the bolded is very premature and extremely wishful thinking.

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

Yeah, I dunno. For a looooong time, any criticism of Jack was not met kindly. This season things started to change. And probably rightly so. It was a bad look for Jack most nights. People can point to injury, but I wonder what injury had Jack chatting with his buddy on the Isles about his buddy's stick. He checked out.

I do wonder how a 10 million dollar player on a 31st place team can ever be a "whipping boy."

My thoughts are that the bolded is very premature and extremely wishful thinking.

Well, I am an optimist. I do think they have more talent now than when Jack went down. Casey, Asplund and Tage seem to have emerged. R2, Cozens and Bjork. But ya, maybe they all just fade back to mediocrity 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

To the bolded, really?  Eichel has caught flack for perceived sins almost since day 1.

Btw, there's also a $9MM player on a 31st team that's one.  😉

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.