Rick's last call?

PASabreFan

TBN reported today that Rick and the executive veep of PSE will meet after the season to discuss his future. My default position has always been that Rick milks these moments, creating some suspense about whether he's going to return, knowing he's going to return — and that Rick's run will end when he's wheeled out of the booth one final time.

That position is being challenged a little today. Rick hasn't called a road game this season, but he's going to do the season finale on Saturday. At first, I made a major blunder in my thinking, which was that, sure Rick is retiring by calling a Sabres game in Pittsburgh, which is how it all began. For the franchise, but not Rick. Duh. Rick started in 71-72. Now, that season also started with a game against the Pens (another 2-1 win), this time in Buffalo. Blunder #2: thinking that game was Rick's first Sabres game.

At least I think it's a blunder. Rick wouldn't have called that game, either, if the team's media guide is correct. The only games he called that season were 15 televised games. Radio-only would have been the Voice of the Sabres, Ted Darling. Rick's first call was apparently at Boston on Oct. 14, 1971. The game was televised. His first home call was (apparently) Nov. 21 against the Leafs.

If all that's true, deciding to call the game at Pittsburgh isn't anything of special significance to Rick except it's the finale and maybe he thought it could be a big game.

OTOH, it's his 50th season, the franchise DID start in Pittsburgh and if there's anything Rick loves in life besides Cupcake, beer, hockey and broadcasting, it's the joy of slipping in the last word in a crossword puzzle. A nice, tidy finish.

It'll be interesting to watch unfold, to say the least.

^Did you catch his line from the other game, after they posted the graphic of Sam Reinhart's goal scoring accumulation in the last month or so? Came off unusually bitter for Rick. Something to the affect of "pretty fancy stats for a team not going to the playoffs."

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

^Did you catch his line from the other game, after they posted the graphic of Sam Reinhart's goal scoring accumulation in the last month or so? Came off unusually bitter for Rick. Something to the affect of "pretty fancy stats for a team not going to the playoffs."

I think I missed it. But in the last game, Rob said "playoffs" as an apparent takeoff on Jim Mora and Rick laughed. He might be as at the end of his rope as many of us. I did wonder how that kind of comment would play with the suits at PSE, if they were listening.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Man deserves better than to end on this note (or the past 10 years).

That said, even though I want Rick to go on forever, there have been some times this year where his performance made me sad.

I actually think it's been his best season in several years. He's playing a more simple game. I think he knows he can't see the numbers anymore, so instead of getting tongue-tied, he just goes with, "Boston comes to the line and dumps it in." I've come to chuckle at the occasional blunder, like calling Sam, Ranheim. Not seeing the goalie make a spectacular save? Welp, he's 78. He's still 68.75% of what he was (fancy broadcasting stat), and that's pretty derned good. And to quote the country music song, sometimes Rick's as good once as he ever was.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1

Rick could retire and could still come back and do a playoff game in a year or two if he's still capable.  The Red Wings did that when they made the Cup Finals in 1995 with their recently retired broadcaster (whose name escapes me) called one of the games.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I think I missed it. But in the last game, Rob said "playoffs" as an apparent takeoff on Jim Mora and Rick laughed. He might be as at the end of his rope as many of us. I did wonder how that kind of comment would play with the suits at PSE, if they were listening.

Heaven forbid everything said by everyone on the broadcast isn't a tire pump

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Rick could retire and could still come back and do a playoff game in a year or two if he's still capable.  The Red Wings did that when they made the Cup Finals in 1995 with their recently retired broadcaster (whose name escapes me) called one of the games.

Bruce Martin? Maybe Martyn?

• Thanks (+1) 1

I used to live in Chicago and was able to see the decline of the legendary Harry Caray during Cubs broadcasts.  He would call Ryne Sandberg "Ryan Sanborn" and stuff like that.  He was slow with his words, forgot how many outs there were, rambled on with stories while play was going on, etc.  Cubs fans lived with it - he had earned the right.  I have not had the chance to see/hear too many Sabres games this year, but from what I have heard, Rick has lost a step or two.  He doesn't seem to have the enthusiasm and energy he once had.  The poor quality of the team could have something to do with it, along with his age.

Despite the decline, I'd let him write his own ticket.  Like Caray, he's a legend and he's earned it.  If he only wants to do home games, fine.  If he only wants to do 10 game a year, fine.  

As a side note, I'm not sold in Dunleavy.  He's OK and seems like a great guy, but nothing about him stands out to me.  Nobody will be be another RJ, but I don't see him being like a Ted Darling ("Andreychuk with that loooooong reach....")  or other distinguished broadcaster either.  

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Bruce Martin? Maybe Martyn?

From Wiki:  "Martyn retired after the 1994–95 Red Wing season, but returned in 1997 to call the second period of the team's Stanley Cup clincher."

So my details were off a bit but the idea is the same.

• Like (+1) 2

On the remote swamp planet of HockeyPurgatory... where's he's been in exile since the Pegulas took over the galaxy:

Master Jeanneret: Soon will I retire. Yes, forever singing "May Day". Earned it, I have.

Rayzor: Master Jeanneret, you can't retire.

MJ: Strong am I on the Call, but not that strong. Dunleavy is upon me and soon the mic must fall. That is the way of things... the way of the Call.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

On the remote swamp planet of HockeyPurgatory... where's he's been in exile since the Pegulas took over the galaxy:

Master Jeanneret: Soon will I retire. Yes, forever singing "May Day". Earned it, I have.

Rayzor: Master Jeanneret, you can't retire.

MJ: Strong am I on the Call, but not that strong. Dunleavy is upon me and soon the mic must fall. That is the way of things... the way of the Call.

All their recent life has the Sabres organization looked away...to the future, to the horizon. Never their mind on where we are, on winning now

Edited by Thorny
  • Haha (+1) 1

Love Rick, always have and will be sad once he decides he's done.  That said, I really am not looking forward to years and years of Dan D. calling the play.  Nice guy, but his play-by-play leaves a lot to be desired.  He may be the heir-apparent, but would like to see the Sabres find somebody else.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Thorny said:

All their recent life have the Sabres organization looked away...to the future, to the horizon. Never their mind on where we are, on winning now

Winning in the future and winning now form a symbiont circle. Focusing entirely on one affects the other. They must understand this.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Winning in the future and winning now form a symbiont circle. Focusing entirely on one affects the other. They must understand this.

If they don't.....I may need to go home and re-think my life

• Thanks (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Love Rick, always have and will be sad once he decides he's done.  That said, I really am not looking forward to years and years of Dan D. calling the play.  Nice guy, but his play-by-play leaves a lot to be desired.  He may be the heir-apparent, but would like to see the Sabres find somebody else.

Dan is certainly a great guy, but he's also having to follow up a "Gretzky of announcing." 

• Like (+1) 1

I hope Rick can carry on, but he's been fumbling calls these past two seasons now. Might be time to call it a career.

Also, nothing against Rayzor, I mean the dude bleeds Blue and Gold, but can't they find a better color guy? I miss Jim Lorentz like crazy. He was so good with his color commentary. Rob Ray doesn't add much at all to the broadcast. Heck, I'd rather have Marty Biron doing the color even with the French accent. Hahaha!

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.