Dunleavy "expected" to return next season on new contract

PASabreFan

I wish Rick could stay on forever. At first a year or two ago I was starting to think maybe his more frequent slip ups were a reason maybe his time could come to an end as the play by play guy, but I quickly realized that would be totally unnecessary: he sounds like he loves what he does. This is really the only thing that matters to me, considering his voice is still more appealing to me even if it wasn't what it once was, and he doesn't make the type of errors Dunleavy does. I watch a lot of hockey, I know who all the players are, and by number, him messing up a name is irrelevant to me. It's the entertainment mechanics, the production, the showmanship, the legendary elevation that Rick gives the Sabres by being instantly recognizable to any true fan that matters to me. 

If he's having fun, I want him calling the games. That's it. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, PASabreFan said:

I just hope someone has thought to have Rick record a line we all want to hear someday. When it happens, if at home, can you imagine when it's played in the arena?

Sigh. Statins, do you thing.

Well, this gave me legit chills.

And then it seemed kinda sad and I almost teared up. 

I hate how bad we've been. 

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I just hope someone has thought to have Rick record a line we all want to hear someday. When it happens, if at home, can you imagine when it's played in the arena?

Please forward this idea to the Sabres.

It would mean so much to the fan base.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

It's about respect. Not clearly stating that the opponent has scored is disrespectful (not to mention confusing to the listener). The height of homerism. Amateurish.

I'm not sure I buy all of that.

However, I do love Rick's trademark way of saying a Sabres opponent "SCORES!" in a dismayed and disbelieving way.

The old timers started off calling the games on Radio. They had to be more descriptive for you to have any idea what was going on in the game. The newer guys came in during the TV era and I don't need to listen to someone blabbering on when I can see what's happening. Hockey by the way sucks on radio. When I've tried to listen only, I usually have no idea what's going on besides what the score is. The game is too fast to describe and RJ has the advantage there not only because he grew up on radio but he has the grandpa aura that who cares if he says it right or wrong, he's f'n grandpa. Every new guy has the distinct disadvantage of unless he's following a complete bozo he's going to be disliked and compared to the legendary grandpa RJ. 

Rob Ray would be useful pre and post game with Marty but as a color guy he's not that good and I like Rob32.

12 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Goosebumps.

35 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Regarding the Wings long serving PA announcer, Bud Lynch:  "His was a voice so honored by fans, players and ownership alike, that a recording of Lynch's voice continued to announce, "Last minute of play in this period" for each home game until Joe Louis Arena closed in 2017." (from Wiki)

I thought Duffer was good when he filled in last season when RJ took ill. If RJ has had enough Duff and Biron for playbyplay and colour would be better that Dull-leavy and Ray.

However the sick part of me would like Rayzor to do play by play haha.

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

PSE executive vice president tells TBN.

Dunleavy has few fans on this board. What are we missing?

He's dull dull dull, but he's incredibly flattering to the team and I don't think ever criticizes their play even when it's horrible so the team/ownership probably loves him. 

Biron is the only guy imo worth anything. 

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Duff and Biron are my favorites in between periods. Ray is meh. Dunleavy I have no real opinion on. 

Dunleavy definitely struggled considerably with the video game calling.  Not sure if they're still doing that, but he always seems to have no idea why a stoppage occurred.  

1 minute ago, Drag0nDan said:

Dunleavy definitely struggled considerably with the video game calling.  Not sure if they're still doing that, but he always seems to have no idea why a stoppage occurred.  

To be fair it can be difficult to figure out a stoppage without audio clues. I am assuming they don't have ice level audio on the video they watch to call the game

Just now, drnkirishone said:

To be fair it can be difficult to figure out a stoppage without audio clues. I am assuming they don't have ice level audio on the video they watch to call the game

Yeah, he just tends to call it wrong and rob ray will say what it is after the fact.

It has nothing to do with following a legend.  He just flat out sucks.  He can’t even understand that some people listen on the radio(which requires a more detailed call), and that makes him even less tolerable. 

3 options...get rid of DD completely, get him off the radio call, or status quo. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.