Housermania!

pi2000

6 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

If we beat Pitt back to back he should get an invite to training camp.

Whoa the Sabres are playing the University of Pittsburgh?  Because that’s who Pitt is.  

Edited by inkman

If practice squads are still a thing, we'll need at least 5 goalies between the NHL and ROC, right?

I'd put him in ROC with UPL and put Tokarski on the practice squad. 

Based on what they've seen in practice, I'd guess the team knows more about him that what we've seen in the last 2 games.

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

A look to determine where he belongs in the org.  ECHL?  AHL?  Probably not NHL.

There's almost certainly several teams w/ less AHL quality depth than the Sabres signed through next season & would be surprised if Houser is back next year.  Technically he'd be the 3rd goalie right now, but Ullmark is likely coming back (Houser to 4) & the Sabres will grab another NHLer (Houser to 5).

Had Adams not needed to sign Tokarski for 2 years to meet the Seattle D draft requirement, Houser might very well have split duties with Luukkonnen in Ra-cha-cha next season.  Unfortunately, they did have to have Tokarski under contract for next year.  So, the Houser ship will sail.

Just now, JoeSchmoe said:

If practice squads are still a thing, we'll need at least 5 goalies between the NHL and ROC, right?

I'd put him in ROC with UPL and put Tokarski on the practice squad. 

Based on what they've seen in practice, I'd guess the team knows more about him that what we've seen in the last 2 games.

Can't believe there'll still be taxi squads next season.  The US has vaccines widely available at present & Canada is ramping up.  So, it won't likely be necessary from a public health perspective. 

It'll kill AHL attendance to have 5 tweener skaters & a goalie playing with themselves hanging out with the big club lowering the play quality to close to ECHL levels.

45 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Can't believe there'll still be taxi squads next season.  The US has vaccines widely available at present & Canada is ramping up.  So, it won't likely be necessary from a public health perspective. 

It'll kill AHL attendance to have 5 tweener skaters & a goalie playing with themselves hanging out with the big club lowering the play quality to close to ECHL levels.

From what I'm reading between the lines, Canada may be more vaccinated than the US by the end of the summer given current trends.

Canada's problem has been supply and that is set to change rapidly starting this week. Rates in the States seem to be falling off because of lack of interest among those still needing their shots. Hopefully the US trend reverses and Canada doesn't follow a similar pattern.

We are apparently still in track to have first shots to everyone who wants one by the end of June and second shots by the end of summer.

In relation to your point, I think a relatively normal NHL season remains within our grasp.

He's done a great job these last 2 games facing a freaking barrage of enemy fire!  

I loved that Mittelstadt missed his penalty shot last night, so the game didn't end with his shot...and it would go to end with a save from Houser.

The script these last 2 games couldn't have been written much better for Houser.

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Why not, if he beats Pitts in back to back, yea bring him to camp. 

Knowing what is already in the system (and what they plan to do at the NHL level), what is 28 yo UFA Houser's incentive to sign with the Sabres or-gan-i-za-tion?

Can see several reasons for the Sabres to want him in the fold.  Can't see any legit reason other than a sense of nostalgia for Buffalo being the place he got to live out his Cinderella story.  And can't see nostalgia being worth likely being buried in the ECHL again.  YMMV.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Houser will sign with whoever offers him the first deal 

Houser will sign with whoever offers him a 2 way deal & the best chance to be the 3.

Money will likely be comparable regardless at 28 unless he lucks into the team he selects having a goalie injury getting him NHL minimum until his team has 2 available NHLers again.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Houser will sign with whoever offers him a 2 way deal & the best chance to be the 3.

Money will likely be comparable regardless at 28 unless he lucks into the team he selects having a goalie injury getting him NHL minimum until his team has 2 available NHLers again.

Who do you think that 1 team will be?

Just now, Thorny said:

Who do you think that 1 team will be?

Don't have a clue.  Just don't know anybody's farm system other than Buffalo's well enough to even hazard a guess.

Not even getting into how almost all vet minor leaguers are on 1 year deals to chase those opportunities.  The Seattle draft is the only reason the Sabres aren't in the mix.  Botterill planned for the Seattle draft happening last year; once it shifted the Sabres were scrambling.

True wild arse guess would be Joisey as even Wedgwood became an NHLer this year.  But that's literally a complete guess.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Can't see any legit reason other than a sense of nostalgia for Buffalo being the place he got to live out his Cinderella story. 

Is there another team that gives him a more realistic shot at playing in the show than us? I would say we're among the league leaders in lack of goalie depth.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Is there another team that gives him a more realistic shot at playing in the show than us? I would say we're among the league leaders in lack of goalie depth.

At this particular moment the Sabres have essentially 0 NHL depth.  That will be comp,every remedied in all likelihood within 3 weeks of the new league year beginning.  And then the Sabres AHL depth makes it unlikely he's a fit in Ra-cha-cha.

There is almost certainly a few teams that will be better fits for him next year.  No data though, as to who they are specifically.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.