GDT Islanders at Sabres 5/4/21 7pm MSG, WGR550

Brawndo

47 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

The fact that Houser has more wins than Hutton is borderline hilarious. I do feel bad for Hutton to a degree though.

I don’t.  He was terrible for a second straight year.  He gave us nothing and was well paid.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, gilbert11 said:

Islanders had already clinched a playoff spot and are only playing for seeding.  You’d think they’d want to avoid Washington as they were 2-6 vs them.  Also 3-5 vs Pens.      5-2 vs Boston with one remaining.  

To those who saw the game, did Isles take the Sabres lightly these last 2 games?

Does 48 shots on goal sound like they were taking them lightly?

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Does 48 shots on goal sound like they were taking them lightly?

They did not take the Sabres lightly tonight.  Last night the Sabres got 40 shots for the 1st time under Granato & only the 3rd time all year.  (Both of the other 2 came before the COVID "pause.")

Pretty sure they didn't fully take 'em serious yesterday.  Today, they absolutely did, but going back towards their defensive shell after going up 3-1 let the Sabres back into it.  Good on the Sabres for continuing to battle to the very last SO shot.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I just can’t get into Schitt’s Creek. What am I missing?

I have to be in the right mood to watch it.  Much of the humor is based on uncomfortable relationships and situations.  Here's a classic scene where Moira, the mom, doesn't want to admit she's never used this recipe before.  It expresses the exasperation we've all had with a parent and to me anyway, is freakin' hilarious.

Also, three of the characters, the father and son, and also the woman who runs the cafe, are related in real life (father and brother-sister), so that plays into it too.

Edited by Doohickie

Just when you thought you knew what you were gonna get...

Houser didn’t just look lucky, he looked good. Locked in to the play and moving smoothly and under control.

We were god-awful in the first, I mean so bad with our passing and D Zone coverage that the Islanders were unprepared to take advantage. But Houser made the saves when we needed them and we responded. Good goaltending makes such a difference. 

Exactly one game after I decided Bjork ain’t got it, he shows up with the game of his life. It probably has nothing to do with playing with Sam Reinhart, right? Granato sure seems to love Bjork’s game and believe in his talent. Would sure be nice to uncover a player in someone improperly developed by Boston.

Great turnover forced by Caggiula, terrific pass by Skinner, and Eakin finishing with authority. On the same sequence. I’m late posting because I had to go out and buy my lottery tickets.

Because I pointed out the opposite yesterday, I need to say Thompson and Samuelsson followed up excellent games with weaker ones today, Although Tage did come on later. Cozens was better, but he’s still fighting it.

One thing that Casey Mittelstadt is doing on a regular basis now that he did not before is presenting himself in open ice with clear lanes to cleanly receive or send a pass. His spacing and body control has been exquisite. Couple that with the improved pace and consistency and I think he’s probably for real.

Dahlin was quiet tonight for the most part, but not necessarily in a bad way.

If you were new to following the team, ignorant of its various storylines and had only watched the past month, there would be no doubt in your mind Reinhart is its undisputed captain and leader.

The clip of the D on the bench watching Houser win it in the shootout gets my vote for highlight of the year, Those guys looked like a team. 

Again, I’m going to be sad the year is over.

• Like (+1) 8

2 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

The good humor is entirely centered around Moira

No, that's not right.  It passes off from character to character, with each taking turns of being the butt of the joke and the straight man.

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

Just when you thought you knew what you were gonna get...

Houser didn’t just look lucky, he looked good. Locked in to the play and moving smoothly and under control.

We were god-awful in the first, I mean so bad with our passing and D Zone coverage that the Islanders were unprepared to take advantage. But Houser made the saves when we needed them and we responded. Good goaltending makes such a difference. 

Exactly one game after I decided Bjork ain’t got it, he shows up with the game of his life. It probably has nothing to do with playing with Sam Reinhart, right? Granato sure seems to love Bjork’s game and believe in his talent. Would sure be nice to uncover a player in someone improperly developed by Boston.

Great turnover forced by Caggiula, terrific pass by Skinner, and Eakin finishing with authority. On the same sequence. I’m late posting because I had to go out and buy my lottery tickets.

Because I pointed out the opposite yesterday, I need to say Thompson and Samuelsson followed up excellent games with weaker ones today, Although Tage did come on later. Cozens was better, but he’s still fighting it.

One thing that Casey Mittelstadt is doing on a regular basis now that he did not before is presenting himself in open ice with clear lanes to cleanly receive or send a pass. His spacing and body control has been exquisite. Couple that with the improved pace and consistency and I think he’s probably for real.

Dahlin was quiet tonight for the most part, but not necessarily in a bad way.

If you were new to following the team, ignorant of its various storylines and had only watched the past month, there would be no doubt in your mind Reinhart is its undisputed captain and leader.

The clip of the D on the bench watching Houser win it in the shootout gets my vote for highlight of the year, Those guys looked like a team. 

Again, I’m going to be sad the year is over.

Excellent observations and post. Two things you mentioned stood out good goaltending is such an important factor in being competitive. If you don't have it on a consistent basis you don't stand a chance. If Ullmark proves to be a genuine #1 goalie then it solves a lot of problems. The critical issue with him is can he stay healthy? 

I don't want to deviate from the topic but there are a couple of illustrations in this game that scream for retaining Granato as a coach. The Sabres were down 2-0 against a team that doesn't usually lose when ahead, and especially in the first period were being dominated. Hauser was under siege but held up. Yet the team didn't quit as it previously did when facing adversity under the former coach. Weaklings are not going to be tolerated or get ice time. This is a mentally tougher team instilled by the coach. 

It is apparent that Granato has a feel for the roster. He demoted Skinner to a lower line and elevated Bjork to the Reinhart line, replacing Skinner. Bjork had his best game for the Sabres and was its first star. Even with his demotion Skinner made a nifty pass to Eakin who converted for a crucial score. How's that for smartly and intuitively utilizing your talent?

Another example of the coach's influence on this team is exhibited in the play of Olofsson. Compared to before where he played to spots on the ice he is now skating hard all over the ice and giving maximum effort without the puck. That reflects player growth and good coaching. 

Where I very much differ from you is that I will be glad and relieved when this season is over. Although it's been an exhausting and exasperating season, with the installation of Granato I am more enthusiastic about the offseason and the draft. The one thing that I am grateful to Granato is that he showed that when hockey is played the right way it is fun to watch regardless the outcome. I now have hope.

12 hours ago, Taro T said:

Like the bear said: "did NOT see that coming."

Not only did the team get their 1st btb sweep of the year, this is only their 3rd winning streak of the year.  (They'd won 2 in a row one time each under both of the coaches.)

The heroes were Cody friggin' Eakin and his line mate JS, Anders Bjork who really had been looking pretty bad the past 3 or so games, & Michael Houser who never would've even gotten a start if Tokarski didn't have to leave for a family matter (again, hoping all of his kin are well).

And now Houser is essentially the anti-Lehner stopping all 3 SO attempts.  What a great story.  Wondering how many other goalies were perfect in the SO their entire careers?

ftfy

16 minutes ago, TgeekB said:

Amazing how they play in extremes. I imagine it is part of being a young team. 

I remember execs used to talk about players needing about 200 games before they could be considered NHLers

• Dahlin 195
  • Jokiharju 151
  • Bjork 151
  • Mittelstadt 147
  • Thompson 143
  • Olofsson 114
  • Asplund 55
  • Cozens 39
  • Bryson 36
  • Ruotsalainen 15
  • Borgen 14
  • Samuelsson 10

That's 12 of our 18 skaters these days, including 5 of 6 defencemen.

Not sure what the cut-off for goalies is, but Tokarski has played 47 games, Lukkonnen 4 and Houser 2.

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

It is apparent that Granato has a feel for the roster. He demoted Skinner to a lower line and elevated Bjork to the Reinhart line, replacing Skinner. Bjork had his best game for the Sabres and was its first star. Even with his demotion Skinner made a nifty pass to Eakin who converted for a crucial score. How's that for smartly and intuitively utilizing your talent?

This is probably Granato's biggest plus that I've noticed so far.  His deployment of players just seems so much better than any coach since..... Lindy?  And he makes in-game changes that actually spark the team.  Weeeeiiiiiird.... I didn't know you could do that!

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Another example of the coach's influence on this team is exhibited in the play of Olofsson. Compared to before where he played to spots on the ice he is now skating hard all over the ice and giving maximum effort without the puck. That reflects player growth and good coaching. 

Olofsson's puck steal in the OT was a crucial play imo.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I remember execs used to talk about players needing about 200 games before they could be considered NHLers

• Dahlin 195
  • Jokiharju 151
  • Bjork 151
  • Mittelstadt 147
  • Thompson 143
  • Olofsson 114
  • Asplund 55
  • Cozens 39
  • Bryson 36
  • Ruotsalainen 15
  • Borgen 14
  • Samuelsson 10

That's 12 of our 18 skaters these days, including 5 of 6 defencemen.

Not sure what the cut-off for goalies is, but Tokarski has played 47 games, Lukkonnen 4 and Houser 2.

Is your point to reinforce that yes, this is in fact a very young team?

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

This is probably Granato's biggest plus that I've noticed so far.  His deployment of players just seems so much better than any coach since..... Lindy?  And he makes in-game changes that actually spark the team.  Weeeeiiiiiird.... I didn't know you could do that!

Olofsson's puck steal in the OT was a crucial play imo.

Don't forget, Rolston SEEMED to deploy players pretty well too in '12-'13.  Well enough to have an NHL above 0.500 record (15-11-5) & just 1 game below the mythical DeLuca 0.500.

The next season ... 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.