Roster Off-Season Gameplan

GASabresIUFAN

This may sound like going backwards, but there is method to this madness: Should GMKA consider trying to bring Larsson back?  One way to protect the youngsters and have them grow up more easily is insulating them by playing LOG line in a majority of difficult defencive situations.  And then I would acquire more two-way style players for a second line to help insulate them some more.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Classy move not speaking ill of his defense corps, but he is wrong.  The Kings blue line is porous.  The prospects look promising  but they need help.  Drew, Brown and Kopi cannot wait too long. They need to accelerate the rebuild. Still think this is the partner.   Their cap situation gets a lot better next year which should help.  (Kings dead cap is like the Cowboys).

2 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I don't like that Vancouver deal. Miller is a good player but I don't want Loui Erikson anywhere near the young team we will be building. Definition of a lazy hockey player. Unless we could take him for their cap, eat part of it and flip him away to someone else, but otherwise a big no. 

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't like that Vancouver deal. Miller is a good player but I don't want Loui Erikson anywhere near the young team we will be building. Definition of a lazy hockey player. Unless we could take him for their cap, eat part of it and flip him away to someone else, but otherwise a big no. 

I wouldn’t want him either but he could just be waived to Rochester or bought out.  Only one year at $4M on the contract.

Edited by Curt

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I buried him in minors, if he wants he can stay in Sweden for the year.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

You don't buyout eakin. You shouldn't be near the cap next year, bury him in Rochester or trade him.

The rest is interesting

I'm maximizing my cap space next year so we can take on a cap dump but also so we never have to see Eakin again. His buyout being extremely cheap is the only reason I'm even entertaining the idea. (Effectively the savings gives us more than 1mil back in cap space.

I really think the Sabres need someone who can drop the gloves, is willing to do so, and is good at it.  That player has to be good at hockey too, not someone you just have available to dress 'just in case'. I'm thinking a Marcus Foligno type player (wish he would have never been traded).  I know, hard to find, but that is the ONE thing this team doesn't have at all.

Now, I have come to not like fighting in hockey at all.  I'm good with not seeing a fight in a game ever.  BUT, as fighting (and a LOT Of dirty stickwork) is still tolerated in the NHL, I really want the Sabres to get a player, at least ONE, that can play that game.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mjd1001 said:

I really think the Sabres need someone who can drop the gloves, is willing to do so, and is good at it.  That player has to be good at hockey too, not someone you just have available to dress 'just in case'. I'm thinking a Marcus Foligno type player (wish he would have never been traded).  I know, hard to find, but that is the ONE thing this team doesn't have at all.

Now, I have come to not like fighting in hockey at all.  I'm good with not seeing a fight in a game ever.  BUT, as fighting (and a LOT Of dirty stickwork) is still tolerated in the NHL, I really want the Sabres to get a player, at least ONE, that can play that game.

Marcus would be nice. Barclay Goodrow can play a little and drop em with anybody as well.

I'd love the team to sign him and Blake Coleman or Sam Bennett also.

I don't know if we talked about this elsewhere, but we don't have a goalie to protect in expansion unless Ullmark is re-signed before the draft.  This seems like a great opportunity for KA to make a move to help the club asap.  

The goal being to use that expansion protection slot to either extend Ullmark before the draft, or to get his replacement or a to acquire good backup.   No matter happens KA must not let this slot go to waste.  

Looking at Capfriendly, Chicago has 3 expansion draft eligible goalies, Columbus 3, Edmonton 4, Ottawa 5, St Louis 3, Washington 4, and Winnipeg 3.  That's 25 draft eligible goalies and only 7 that can be protected.  There has to be at least 3 or 4 goalies from that group worth acquiring.   Maybe we can acquire Dreidger from Florida before they lose him for nothing, although to get Dreidger we must include a draft eligible goalie in return.

19 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don't know if we talked about this elsewhere, but we don't have a goalie to protect in expansion unless Ullmark is re-signed before the draft.  This seems like a great opportunity for KA to make a move to help the club asap.  

The goal being to use that expansion protection slot to either extend Ullmark before the draft, or to get his replacement or a to acquire good backup.   No matter happens KA must not let this slot go to waste.  

Looking at Capfriendly, Chicago has 3 expansion draft eligible goalies, Columbus 3, Edmonton 4, Ottawa 5, St Louis 3, Washington 4, and Winnipeg 3.  That's 25 draft eligible goalies and only 7 that can be protected.  There has to be at least 3 or 4 goalies from that group worth acquiring.   Maybe we can acquire Dreidger from Florida before they lose him for nothing, although to get Dreidger we must include a draft eligible goalie in return.

I’m interested to know if the NHL has laid out what the penalties would be if we failed to fulfill the requirements.

33 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I’m interested to know if the NHL has laid out what the penalties would be if we failed to fulfill the requirements.

You avoid the issue and sign Houser first.  That gives you 2 draft eligible guys. You trade Tokarski to Fla with a pick for Dreidger.

What does this team look like if KA goes for the maximum upheaval strategy?  This assumes Jack, Sam and Risto are traded and McCabe and Ullmark aren't re-signed.

Skinner  ????? 

R2 Mittelstadt  VO

Asplund  Cozens Thompson

Girgensons ?????  Okposo

Dahlin Jokiharju

?????  ?????

Bryson Borgen

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What does this team look like if KA goes for the maximum upheaval strategy?  This assumes Jack, Sam and Risto are traded and McCabe and Ullmark aren't re-signed.

Skinner  ????? 

R2 Mittelstadt  VO

Asplund  Cozens Thompson

Girgensons ?????  Okposo

Dahlin Jokiharju

?????  ?????

Bryson Borgen

Well... I assume wed get some players back in any of those trades simply because teams are going to struggle to absorb large cap hits without sending players back.  

2 hours ago, Drag0nDan said:

Well... I assume wed get some players back in any of those trades simply because teams are going to struggle to absorb large cap hits without sending players back.  

Absolutely.  If those 5 guys leave or are traded, some of the holes must be filled by guys we get back in the deals.  For example, one of trade proposals in the Athletic was Eichel to TB for Cirelli and Sergachev.  Those 2 make 9.6 to Jack’s ten and would help fill 2 lineup holes. A spine of Cirelii, Mitts and Cozens would certainly be workable.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Absolutely.  If those 5 guys leave or are traded, some of the holes must be filled by guys we get back in the deals.  For example, one of trade proposals on the Athletic was Eichel to TB for Cirelli and Sergacgev.  Those 2 makes 9.6 to Jack’s ten and would help fill 2 lineup holes. A spine of Cirelii, Mitts and Cozens would certainly be workable.

I’ve seen nothing in the last two playoffs that would make me believe Cirelli is a 1C...maybe a 2C. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I’ve seen nothing in the last two playoffs that would make me believe Cirelli is a 1C...maybe a 2C. 

Keyword may be “workable”.  It doesn’t necessarily mean good.  He is someone who could absorb difficult matchups so Mitts/Cozens don’t need to.

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Keyword may be “workable”.  It doesn’t necessarily mean good.  He is someone who could absorb difficult matchups so Mitts/Cozens don’t need to.

Correct, although if Mitts and Cozens continue to improve and a coach knows how to manage his matchups, a spine of Mitts, Cozens and Cirelli could be good.

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Skinner  ????? 

R2 Mittelstadt  VO

Asplund  Cozens Thompson

Girgensons ?????  Okposo

Dahlin Jokiharju

?????  ?????

Bryson Borgen

I hope they go this route...I'm ready for some big changes with this team.  A lot of those ???? (at least some of them) might be filled with the return you get from the trades you make. 

Also, I think there is a chance Samuelson could be on your third pair next year (but honestly, If he gets another half season to full season in Rochester I'm good with that also.)

Edited by mjd1001

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.