Roster Off-Season Gameplan

GASabresIUFAN

11 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

So... the plan is UPL/Anderson in Buffalo, Tokarski/Dell in Rochester, and... Houser/Christopoulos in Cincinnati?

This is the plan? This plan makes as much sense as Luke's plan to rescue Han in RotJ. Or any of the prequels. Or Rise of Skywalker. If this is the plan, it's garbage.

UPL needs another 50+ starts to hone his game at the appropriate level. That's an entire (un-COVID-broken) season. His last appropriate level was the ECHL. This year, it's 50/50 split AHL with a veteran. He's a good pick. He was the #1-ranked European goalie at the time of his drafting. He has oodles of potential and can become an NHL starter. Don't blow it by rushing him. Sure, maybe he fails anyway, but don't overburden him and increase the risk of failure by bringing him into a loss-heavy dumpster fire where he'll get shelled. Get him to Rochester and keep him there. Get a real goalie here in Buffalo. ... which means including a goalie in the Eichel trade because we let all the goalies go wandering elsewhere before and during UFA. Gahhhhhhh!

Wouldn't it be Anderson/Tokarski? I doubt they rush UPL as he's the starter in Rochester. I like the future in net with UPL and Levi, looks like a solid future there if like you state we don't rush anything and let them develop.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

No love for Kisakov?

Basically they are acquiring fast guys, who invite physical contact, that drive the net and keep their feet moving. 

I'm going to call Poltapov a late 1st pick (32nd player taken in a 32 team league) and the Sabres have been pretty good in the 1st round of drafts but until they can prove to me they're actually better with picks in the 2nd and later rounds, no way am I going to drink that much kool-aid and put Kisakov on that list just yet. Hopefully he'll get there, not betting my house on it though.

Too many Davidssons, Guhle's, Bailey's, Pu's and Baptistes in that mix to get excited about.

Edited by jsb

Last season I was a huge advocate of turning the team over the kids and the team was better for it once Rasputin was fired and the kids played a bigger role.

I’m glad this is the Sabres plan going forward except I hoped (expected) the team putting a better support system in place for the kids like real goalies and some stay at home D to help shepherd the kids.  Unfortunately it’s readily apparent that no one with a choice wants to play here.  Not a good but injury prone goalie, not an injured veteran D, or any free agent goalie worth a crap.  

It truly shows how this franchise is viewed by the players in the league.  If we truly want a fresh start TP must sell the team.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Sadly all the goalies went to the kraken.

Yes, but Vanacek was traded back to the Caps for a 2nd rd pick.  It seems it should have been worth a phone call.  Our 2nd would certainly be higher then Washington's.

There in lies one of my biggest issues with KA.  No guts. Could our 2nd next year be the 33rd pick again.  Absolutely. However we have no goaltending and even if Ullmark had re-signed, Vanacek would have been a great 1B.  That seems worth the risk to me. No guts.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Yes, but Vanacek was traded back to the Caps for a 2nd rd pick.  It seems it should have been worth a phone call.  Our 2nd would certainly be higher then Washington's.

There in lies one of my biggest issues with KA.  No guts. Could our 2nd next year be the 33rd pick again.  Absolutely. However we have no goaltending and even if Ullmark had re-signed, Vanacek would have been a great 1B.  That seems worth the risk to me. No guts.  

I think you assume to much about him not trying ,  we all don't know what is going on.  Only ones who does are those in "war room'.

Edited by Huckleberry

12 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I think you assume to much about him not trying ,  we all don't know what is going on.  Only ones who does are those in "war room'.

Fair but Vanacek was traded back to Washington for a 2nd.  Had KA offered them our 2nd Vanacek would be here. 
The only scenario where this wouldn’t be true is if Sea had a gentleman’s agreement to return Vanacek for a 2nd if they weren’t going to keep him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.