Roster Off-Season Gameplan

GASabresIUFAN

4 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Name one defenseman to ever win a Stanley cup. You can't 

Pronger, Neidermeyer, Orr, Coffey, Bourque, Hedman, Keith, Seabrook, Letang, Sergachev, Leetch, Lidstrom, Robinson, Carlson, Pietrangelo Stevens, LaPointe Chelios, Chara, Potvin, Doughty, etc......

Most Cup winning teams have at least one Norris caliber defender if not more.   

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Pronger, Neidermeyer, Orr, Coffey, Bourque, Hedman, Keith, Seabrook, Letang, Sergachev, Leetch, Lidstrom, Robinson, Carlson, Pietrangelo Stevens, LaPointe Chelios, Chara, Potvin, Doughty, etc......

Most Cup winning teams have at least one Norris caliber defender if not more.   

Bro

• Haha (+1) 3

• 3 weeks later...

So KA's gameplan so far is to dump the tank core (Eichel, Reinhart, & Risto).  2/3 of this goal is complete only Eichel remains.

Heading into free agency we have 9 signed forwards including R2 (without Eichel) plus 2 qualified RFAs (Mitts and Asplund) and 3 signed D in Miller, Hagg and Bryson with 2 qualified RFAs (Dahlin and Jokiharju).  No goalies.  Cap sans Eichel (but with CoHo) is 34.475.  I'm allocating about 10 mill for the 4 RFAs.  That leaves us at approx 44.5 mill in cap.

Questions

1) Who is playing Goalie?  Ullmark according to Tom and Chad D is close to re-signing, but who might be his back-up?  What does KA get if Ullmark walks instead?

2) Does Power sign instead of returning to college?  If he does, that gives us 6 signed D, but very limited experience and only two RD one of whom is Miller.  Does KA get a stay at home RHD (or two) in Free agency to balance the group both by hand and style of plan.  Will McCabe return? 

3) Who plays center besides Mitts and Cozens once Jack buggies?  Asplund, Eakin, Girgensons, and R2 all have center experience, but will DG play Eakin?  Does Ka bring back guys like Caggiula or Sheahan?  Does he get a bridge center to protect Mitts and Cozens? 

Right now I see only a couple of depth skaters signed and a few more for Rochester.  I think he is going to keep the cap expense under 60 mill for the season.   The only real money I see KA spending is on goaltending help.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

9 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I could live with this roster and trade.

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2629846

Interesting trades. I would like to grab Donato and the Calg deal is interesting.  I'm not sure Johnson has anything left.  My biggest comment would be that it's about 10 mill more then TP wants to spend this year.  I do think it's a reasonable competitive roster.

• Like (+1) 1

Sign our 4 RFAs (Dahlin, Joki, Mitts and Asplund) and we have a full NHL roster at 14/7/2, including Jack.

Not including Jack or the 4, our payroll sits at $41 million.

The cap floor is a shade over $60million.

What the hell is going on?

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Sign our 4 RFAs (Dahlin, Joki, Mitts and Asplund) and we have a full NHL roster at 13/7/2, including Jack.

Not including Jack or the 4, our payroll sits at $41 million.

The cap floor is a shade over $60million.

What the hell is going on?

So it looks like a Jack trade would need to be close to money in/money out.  Those RFA’s are going to cost $10-15M.  So it looks like the Sabres would be just a few million over the floor without any big additions.

They need to at least weaponize some of that to pick up free assets.

For reference, this is the depth chart:

Skinner (Eichel) Olofsson

Asplund Mitts Thompson

Bjork Cozens Ruotsalainen

Girgensons Hinostroza Okposo

Caggiula Eakin

Dahlin Jokiharju

Hagg Miller

Bryson Butcher

Pysyk

Anderson

Dell

Edited by dudacek

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Asplund Mitts Thompson

Caggiula Eakin

Dahlin Jokiharju

Hagg Miller

Bryson Butcher

Pysyk

Anderson

Dell

Mebbe i'm optimistic, but this won't be nearly as miserable to watch as 2013-2015

4 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Mebbe i'm optimistic, but this won't be nearly as miserable to watch as 2013-2015

The good news is that at least 2/3 of that roster is easily replaceable if something better comes along.

Not expecting the Jack trade to bring in much now other than his roster replacement.

Maybe they’ve got a few other Butcher-esque moves planned?

The good news is that at least 2/3 of that roster is easily replaceable if something better comes along.

Not expecting the Jack trade to bring in much now other than his roster replacement.

I could see any one of those forward lines having consistently good games.  The team as a whole obviously sucks, but if you isolate any one line you could see it existing on a team that is good 

The defense on the other hand

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Do you mean something worse by something better? Legit asking. We know they are tanking. 

They don't want better players

So... the plan is UPL/Anderson in Buffalo, Tokarski/Dell in Rochester, and... Houser/Christopoulos in Cincinnati?

This is the plan? This plan makes as much sense as Luke's plan to rescue Han in RotJ. Or any of the prequels. Or Rise of Skywalker. If this is the plan, it's garbage.

UPL needs another 50+ starts to hone his game at the appropriate level. That's an entire (un-COVID-broken) season. His last appropriate level was the ECHL. This year, it's 50/50 split AHL with a veteran. He's a good pick. He was the #1-ranked European goalie at the time of his drafting. He has oodles of potential and can become an NHL starter. Don't blow it by rushing him. Sure, maybe he fails anyway, but don't overburden him and increase the risk of failure by bringing him into a loss-heavy dumpster fire where he'll get shelled. Get him to Rochester and keep him there. Get a real goalie here in Buffalo. ... which means including a goalie in the Eichel trade because we let all the goalies go wandering elsewhere before and during UFA. Gahhhhhhh!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

Asplund Mitts Thompson

Caggiula Eakin

Dahlin Jokiharju

Hagg Miller

Bryson Butcher

Pysyk

Anderson

Dell

Besides the Eichel and GK fiasco's going on, I was trying to figure what the team is trying to transition to with this free agent class so far and the latest draft. The one thing that appears to be a common denominator is the preference for speed. Hinostroza, Caggiula and Bjork for that matter may not be your top end forwards but what they do add is speed. For that matter Rosen and Poltapov are both seen as speedsters also. As for the defensive side of the coin, Butcher is a lefty, I think they want to slot him after Dahlin and ahead of Hagg on the left side and let him compete possibly with Miller for PP2 duties. Hagg role will be as a 6th defender and PK guy. Jokiharju, Miller and Pysyk will man the right side. With both Butcher and Pysyk they hope to bring in transition capabilities of the team to attack with speed. These guys may or may not play out as hoped but that's what the Sabres management team is trying to promote here IMO. I think their preference is unless Bryson and/or Samuelsson have a breakout season to send both those guys for some more seasoning in Rochester.

With Quinn, JJP, Rosen, Poltapov, Power, Johnson, Samuelsson, Bryson, UPL, Portillo and Levi, the prospect pool appears to be on the right track moving forward. The hopefully sooner than later Eichel trade will add to this list plus give us a player who can add to the Center position as well. I don't think there is any chance that Hinostroza plays C this year. 

I think the speed thing is right on.

I also think, with the forwards at least, there is an element of hard work and no BS.

The management team is definitely trying to set an identity for the club moving forward.

But the key element for all of these guys is that they were acquired through the lens of "cheap" and "no long term commitment."

1 hour ago, jsb said:

With Quinn, JJP, Rosen, Poltapov, Power, Johnson, Samuelsson, Bryson, UPL, Portillo and Levi, the prospect pool appears to be on the right track moving forward. The hopefully sooner than later Eichel trade will add to this list plus give us a player who can add to the Center position as well. I don't think there is any chance that Hinostroza plays C this year. 

No love for Kisakov?

I think the speed thing is right on.

I also think, with the forwards at least, there is an element of hard work and no BS.

The management team is definitely trying to set an identity for the club moving forward.

But the key element for all of these guys is that they were acquired through the lens of "cheap" and "no long term commitment."

Basically they are acquiring fast guys, who invite physical contact, that drive the net and keep their feet moving. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.