GDT Islanders at Buffalo 5/3/21 7pm MSG, WGR550

Brawndo

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Houser had a much stronger first game then UPL.  Congrats 

Nice win. I know some had their heart set on a fat losing streak to finish the season. Sabres got outplayed in the first but took the game back from a good team.

I’d hope so. He’s got like 7 years of experience over the 6K. 

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Is Boston not good?

The Bruins have never been good, dating back to about 1924. 

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

A team that really has nothing left to play for, that should be running for the bus, dug deep and scored four unanswered goals to get a Career ECHL Goalie who hasn’t played a game in 422 days,  a Victory in His First NHL Start.  

This ^^^ was the game story. Well said.

Other randoms:

Anders Bjork got a bump to first line as Jeff Skinner continued to be Jeff Skinner. This isn't another rant against Skinner (you either see it or you dont), but Anders ain't got it folks. He's got Girgensons speed, hustle and offensive IQ, but without the physicality and with a sprinkle of Skinner's ability to make you think he's going to dazzle before turning it over.

Adams would be foolish to protect Bjork over Tage Thompson. Tage was a beast tonight, showing what he can be capable of if he's focused and purposeful. Yes, it happens too infrequently. Yes, it's frustrating. But when you lack forwards with the physical gifts to create offence the way we do, you gotta take the upside over the JAG.

I continue to appreciate Mattias Samuelsson; he's on my team next year. He's like a dad out there.

I love Dylan Cozens to death for his smarts and his hustle. And I know he's got lots of skill. But goddamn has he hit a wall the past week or two. He just can't execute. Smart move to take Bjork off his line and probably a smart move to shift to wing for a bit. he was noticeably better in the third after that happened.

Risto had one of his good games. His decision-making deserves the criticism, but I don't think he gets enough praise for his one-on-one defending of a puck carrier. He can be very good at removing the puck from the man and stopping him from getting it back.

If Asplund is just a guy, he's the best of our bunch. They sometimes overpass, but ATM line works when it's on because all three guys bring a go-to-the-net mentality that was (and at times can still be) completely lacking from the rest of the roster.

Sam Reinhart has three of the Sabres past 8 game winners, and five of our 14 overall. He's tied for 20th in ES goals in the NHL and is 8th in goals overall. Jack Eichel was 8th in goals overall last year. Jeff Skinner was 12th when he got his $9 million contract. The last time a Sabre finished top 10 in goals for a season prior to last year was when Thomas Vanek finished 8th with 40 goals in 2008/09. Vanek wasn't that good at faceoffs either.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just finished watching the game.  We seem to be able to play with everyone but the Bruins.  What a magical night for Houser.  Thompson stepped up and Reinhart is probably the Captain of this team.  R2 is growing each night and I agree that KA shouldn't protect Bjork and risk losing either Asplund or Thompson.  

I'm not ready to pronounce Samuelsson NHL ready.  I also don't want to start next season with 5 NHL D 24 and under with Borgen the oldest with only 14 games of NHL experience.  That isn't a recipe for success IMHO.  I'd rather start Matt in the AHL to get more experience and have him as the first callup.  That said he does look solid and he clearly has a long NHL future ahead of him.  

Think Borgen will register a point this season?  

As to Cozens is it really a surprise that he is struggling some late.  Between the World jrs, the quarantine and being a 19 year old in the toughest men's league in the world, I'd be surprised if he wasn't a little worn out.  It's also clear he isn't as ready as Mitts to be a full time NHL center.  That said he could be the Sabre who makes the biggest jump next season after a full off-season of training and a full training camp next fall.  

I do love R2.  He might go down as Jbot's best acquisition outside of the draft.  

PS can we give Jbot at least some credit for the youth movement we are seeing succeed?  R2, UPL, Mitts, Cozens, Samuelsson, Dahlin, Jokiharju, Thompson, and Bryson are all Jbot draftees or prospect acquisitions.  

• Like (+1) 2

The Isles came in having given up only one goal in six of the last seven games

They were 6-0 vs Buffalo this year, including the last three in a row 5-2

Isles were 21-1-2 when scoring first this season, winning 88% of the time

Isles had shut out their last three opponents and scored 12 goals in a row before Buffalo scored 4 unanswered today

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I liked the Sabres team I saw last night.

However things shake out for the coaching situation, as well as the roster, it's impossible to say that this team isn't more fun to watch. They're giving an honest effort every night and that makes it a lot easier to accept the losing. 

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Norcal said:

The Isles came in having given up only one goal in six of the last seven games

They were 6-0 vs Buffalo this year, including the last three in a row 5-2

Isles were 21-1-2 when scoring first this season, winning 88% of the time

Isles had shut out their last three opponents and scored 12 goals in a row before Buffalo scored 4 unanswered today

Now let's see if the Isles come back angry tonight, and if the Sabres respond.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

However things shake out for the coaching situation, as well as the roster, it's impossible to say that this team isn't more fun to watch. They're giving an honest effort every night and that makes it a lot easier to accept the losing. 

starting to see the young guys have actual talent. I see your point but I never accept losing

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, nucci said:

starting to see the young guys have actual talent. I see your point but I never accept losing

I think, given the situation, not accepting losing is madness. I mean, you're going to be unhappy if Houser can't get them the W tonight? Be real. 

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Just finished watching the game.  We seem to be able to play with everyone but the Bruins.  What a magical night for Houser.  Thompson stepped up and Reinhart is probably the Captain of this team.  R2 is growing each night and I agree that KA shouldn't protect Bjork and risk losing either Asplund or Thompson.  

I'm not ready to pronounce Samuelsson NHL ready.  I also don't want to start next season with 5 NHL D 24 and under with Borgen the oldest with only 14 games of NHL experience.  That isn't a recipe for success IMHO.  I'd rather start Matt in the AHL to get more experience and have him as the first callup.  That said he does look solid and he clearly has a long NHL future ahead of him.  

Think Borgen will register a point this season?  

As to Cozens is it really a surprise that he is struggling some late.  Between the World jrs, the quarantine and being a 19 year old in the toughest men's league in the world, I'd be surprised if he wasn't a little worn out.  It's also clear he isn't as ready as Mitts to be a full time NHL center.  That said he could be the Sabre who makes the biggest jump next season after a full off-season of training and a full training camp next fall.  

I do love R2.  He might go down as Jbot's best acquisition outside of the draft.  

PS can we give Jbot at least some credit for the youth movement we are seeing succeed?  R2, UPL, Mitts, Cozens, Samuelsson, Dahlin, Jokiharju, Thompson, and Bryson are all Jbot draftees or prospect acquisitions.  

As you listed the young players that have come up through our system it is apparent that this youth movement needs to continue to be the central strategy in our rebuild and roster construction. Those who argue that this roster needs to be blown up are advocating for an approach that will only extend the timeline for assembling a competitive roster. The clock is ticking where players such as Jack, Reinhart and even Risto need to see some hope/belief that in the not too distant future this team will become a factor in the league.

I agree with much of your post. It fairly and keenly represented where this team is at. However, on the issue of Samuelsson I disagree with your hesitancy to place him on the roster because of his relative inexperience. Samuelsson game can be described as a defensive style of blue liner.  He plays with a maturity that belies his inexperience. His positioning and playing within his limitations (skating and speed) shows that he knows what and can and can't do and stays within that perimeter. I have no qualms about him being more than ready to be ensconced on the roster next year. 

43 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I think, given the situation, not accepting losing is madness. I mean, you're going to be unhappy if Houser can't get them the W tonight? Be real. 

This is a losing fan culture defined. If anything remotely similar is happening with the team, that's a losing team culture defined. It's an 82 game season. It's a mistake to think any one game is not winnable. Fans should always be disappointed in losing. Mad, even. Same for the players, times 10. (A playoff series with the Isles right now might be a different story.) The players need to learn the habits of success, one of which is to despise losing. They beat the Islanders last night. They can and should do it again. Period.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

This is a losing fan culture defined. If anything remotely similar is happening with the team, that's a losing team culture defined. It's an 82 game season. It's a mistake to think any one game is not winnable. Fans should always be disappointed in losing. Mad, even. Same for the players, times 10. (A playoff series with the Isles right now might be a different story.) The players need to learn the habits of success, one of which is to despise losing. They beat the Islanders last night. They can and should do it again. Period.

Fans should also always be happy with winning.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Claude Balls said:

Last night was my favorite game of the year for the Sabres. Watching Doogie get that win was such a cool sight to see. Really hope he gets 1 or 2 more games. 

He's already been announced as the starter for tonight's game.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.