GDT Islanders at Buffalo 5/3/21 7pm MSG, WGR550

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, Kong said:

What interests me the last few games here is RJ's possible Grand Finale. If he packs it up at the end of this season, I wouldn't blame him a bit. I think the time is right, even though we're looking at mediocrity going forward. I hope they win one for RJ. For many years now, he's made the Sabres look a lot more exciting and a lot better than they deserve. I'll miss you RJ.

Hail RJ. 40+ years I've been listening to his calls. Is Denleavy locked in or is it possible the team goes I another direction? 

1 minute ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

😭

Ted Darling and Rick Jenneret were where I learnt what hockey should sound like.  I can hear them in my head when I am at a game.  He deserves better than the wretched product he's been announcing this past decade.

Darling too. He was first for me, both he and RJ sound alot alike. 

It's time to see Laaksonen up for a game but who sits? Risto? Lol

• Like (+1) 1

Is this a game day thread or a Get rid of Eichel thread????

Let’s just beat the Islanders.  I’m sick of losing, and sick of losing to this team. 

As for leadership.  It’s not harder to be a great captain in hockey over football.  In fact, it might be easier.   Hockey plays a lot more games, and the “C” is stitched on the jersey for all to see.  There are expectations that go with it.  

Comparing Josh and Eichel is probably not fair.   Josh is open to coaching, and help.  After struggling to get Division  1 college football recognition, he was elated to be selected by Buffalo at #7.  Josh had been on the outside compared to other elite QB prospects.   Josh just happens to be a great kid, with a lot of charisma and is willing to be under the wing of very savvy football people - McDermott, Daboll, Beane, and his QB coaches.  

Eichel came into the league younger, and therefore probably less mature.  He was always an elite prospect.  He was used to being on the top amateur teams.  Looking and listening to Jack, he lacks the natural charisma of Josh Allen.  He has had a rough go of it by playing on such a poorly managed team.  He may have contributed to the lousy team culture on that team but he is not to blame for it.  

Trading Eichel?   I do not trust Adams to do it properly.   I would rather keep Eichel and trade Adams.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Did Tokarski get injured when Dahlin drove the Bruin on top of him right after he came in for Luukkonnen?

If so, that's a 1st AFAIK.  Never seen a team lose their top 4 goalies at the same time before.

• Sad 1

What's with all the doomsday talk in here?

Also, with the Allen-Eichel comparisons, the QB position is the one position in the 4 major sports that can far and away affect the teams' outcomes more than any other. Couple that with having possiblity the league's best target to throw to. 

If Eichel as a playmaker had the same effect over the game as a QB, and the team brought in Alexander Ovechkin (hockey's Stefon Diggs equivalent) to finish his plays for him, we'd be talking about the 2nd coming of Mark Messier.

Edited by JoeSchmoe
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

I talked with someone over the weekend that is VERY good friends with Kevin Adams. I think moving Eichel off this team is the only option at this point. The only question left is what kind of return they can get. He should have never been Captain and thinks that he does not need to prove anything to the fans or management. Quite the contrary is Josh Allen, who felt that he had to EARN the respect of the fans and coaches. There are quite a few players on the Sabres who are just counting down the days until this season is over and can't wait to get the hell of of dodge. 

Really hoping that the owners get involved and "meddle" again like they've been reported to have done when Botterill was negotiating Eichel's extension.  Your tips have tended to be pretty reliable, so not remotely happy right now.

Can't see a scenario where the Sabres win an Eichel trade so absolutely don't want to see that.  Also, do believe that if the goaltending is fixed & the coach selection isn't botched that this team is only a piece or 2 away from being in the playoffs & only a couple more pieces (luck possibly being 1 of them 😉 ) away from truly competing.

With that being the case; IF this team does trade Eichel, they might finally have lost this fan.  Can't stand the thought of even just 2 or 3 more years with no hope of seeing a truly competitive team.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Oh man the intrigue is growing 

26 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Did Tokarski get injured when Dahlin drove the Bruin on top of him right after he came in for Luukkonnen?

If so, that's a 1st AFAIK.  Never seen a team lose their top 4 goalies at the same time before.

No idea but Granato mentioned him having the full day off and seeing where he's at in his pregame presser. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

You aren’t legitimately criticizing the Sabres for this are you?

When your coach is the emergency backup goalie, you've hit rock bottom.

Edited by Kong

27 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Where's ... oh what's his name. The guy who worked in an operational role and got to serve as emergency goalie.

Paul Wieland.  He used to tend goal in the free Sabres open  practices.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Paul Wieland.  He used to tend goal in the free Sabres open  practices.  

Pretty sure he actually meant Ryan Vinz.  (The guy that sat on the bench when Miller was traded.)

(Besides was Marketing, not Operations. 😉

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Can anyone remember a time when any NHL team had its top four goalies all out with injury simultaneously?

As said upthread, nope.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Can anyone remember a time when any NHL team had its top four goalies all out with injury simultaneously?

We are going to need Cerrano to sacrifice some live chickens to get the curse out of the locker room 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Kong said:

When your coach is the emergency backup goalie, you've hit rock bottom.

Ah yes because a zamboni driver or a video scout are so much better. Arturs Irbe was our emergency backup at some point. It's completely irrelevant. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.