GDT Islanders at Buffalo 5/3/21 7pm MSG, WGR550

Brawndo

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

So Adams essentially told this guy he doesn't like Eichel's attitude?

As far as the bolded goes, of course.

There is an overall sense from players and management alike that Eichel's attitude and leadership ability is pretty awful. The core needs to be replaced but obviously the return can be nothing like that of O'Reilly

11 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

There is an overall sense from players and management alike that Eichel's attitude and leadership ability is pretty awful. The core needs to be replaced but obviously the return can be nothing like that of O'Reilly

I can't help but apply a healthy dose of skepticism to what you're dishing here -- this scoop is in-line with a rumour/narrative that's been swirling on message boards and Twitter for some time.

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I can't help but apply a healthy dose of skepticism to what you're dishing here -- this scoop is in-line with a rumour/narrative that's been swirling on message boards and Twitter for some time.

2 things:

The vibe I got from Adams' most recent comments about Eichel swung me from the camp of "the only way they will trade him is if he wants out" to "it feels like they are willing to trade him if they get a good enough offer."

Many fans have turned their blame fingers to Eichel as they struggle to process our continued ineptitude. I wonder if the Pegulas have done the same.

1 hour ago, CallawaySabres said:

There are feelings that Jack is quite jealous of the willingness for people to follow [Josh Allen] anywhere.

Josh has been in Buffalo much less time and has taken the team much further.  Granted that's not all on Jack, but if Jack is jealous of Josh, that's Jack's problem.  Put on your big boy panties and produce.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, dudacek said:

2 things:

The vibe I got from Adams' most recent comments about Eichel swung me from the camp of "the only way they will trade him is if he wants out" to "it feels like they are willing to trade him if they get a good enough offer."

Many fans have turned their blame fingers to Eichel as they struggle to process our continued ineptitude. I wonder if the Pegulas have done the same.

Thanks. Where might I find those comments? I missed them the first time around, for sure.

23 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Josh has been in Buffalo much less time and has taken the team much further.  Granted that's not all on Jack, but if Jack is jealous of Josh, that's Jack's problem.  

It's also apples:oranges, as between the local NFL team and the local NHL team. There's just no comparison between what potential sponsors will want from a franchise QB and a franchise centre.

In addition to which: Allen has a natural charisma about him that Eichel does not.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Thanks. Where might I find those comments? I missed them the first time around, for sure.

It's also apples:oranges, as between the local NFL team and the local NHL team. There's just no comparison between what potential sponsors will want from a franchise QB and a franchise centre.

In addition to which: Allen has a natural charisma about him that Eichel does not.

Sorry did a quick search on here because I'm sure a couple of us commented on it when it happened and I couldn't come up with it.

Must have during one or more of Adams Zoom pressers though: trade deadline, Krueger firing, Karmanos, or the one just prior to the Kruger firing.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I concur entirely.

Eichel seems like an ok guy but he doesn't really excrete charisma like Allen does. Eichel has to produce on the ice to lead whereas Allen can theoretically push his team to victory even from the sidelines.

To be honest few hockey players have the natural charisma that Allen does due to the typical nature of football players differing greatly from hockey players.

For instance, Dylan Cozens is as close as we have on this team to a hockey charisma. Its that whole, "Screw you, I'll fight to the last second" kind of approach that is very endearing. 

Briere and Drury also exuded leadership but in their own ways. Briere was more akin to what Eichel needs to be, the flashy scorer who never says die and finds ways to succeed no matter the circumstance. Drury was more of a cold blooded leader; nothing ever phased him. You could count on his steadfast effort and ability to steady the team through the highs and lows. Plus he scored clutch goals like it was just a 6th goal in a blowout.

Part of what endears Allen to his teammates and the fans is his unwillingness to give up on any play, to a fault. The guy would literally try to run through two 300+ pound lineman if it meant winning. Its very easy to play with someone you know will go through hell with you every step of the way. It's that reckless abandon that makes even his most indifferent teammates inspired.

Eichel needs to stop moping or turn his moping into his personal rallying cry to grab the puck and ram it down the opposition's goal netting. Having trouble getting a goal still; play out of character, throw a hit or two

I really do hope Eichel isn't jealous of a naturally charismatic NFL QB though... 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

Doogie in net tonight? I think he's gonna get housed!!

As for Jack, if he hasn't learned what it takes to be a great leader, after growing up watching and being a Brady fan his whole life, then there's no hope for him. 

Edited by Claude Balls

42 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

Doogie in net tonight? I think he's gonna get housed!!

As for Jack, if he hasn't learned what it takes to be a great leader, after growing up watching and being a Brady fan his whole life, then there's no hope for him. 

Doogie could be a Diamond in the Rough.

The thing about Allen is, he grew up idolizing Brady and has adapted his work ethic and mind set.

It's slightly softened my hatred for Brady.

Edited by Norcal
  • Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I concur entirely.

Eichel seems like an ok guy but he doesn't really excrete charisma like Allen does. Eichel has to produce on the ice to lead whereas Allen can theoretically push his team to victory even from the sidelines.

To be honest few hockey players have the natural charisma that Allen does due to the typical nature of football players differing greatly from hockey players.

For instance, Dylan Cozens is as close as we have on this team to a hockey charisma. Its that whole, "Screw you, I'll fight to the last second" kind of approach that is very endearing. 

Briere and Drury also exuded leadership but in their own ways. Briere was more akin to what Eichel needs to be, the flashy scorer who never says die and finds ways to succeed no matter the circumstance. Drury was more of a cold blooded leader; nothing ever phased him. You could count on his steadfast effort and ability to steady the team through the highs and lows. Plus he scored clutch goals like it was just a 6th goal in a blowout.

Part of what endears Allen to his teammates and the fans is his unwillingness to give up on any play, to a fault. The guy would literally try to run through two 300+ pound lineman if it meant winning. Its very easy to play with someone you know will go through hell with you every step of the way. It's that reckless abandon that makes even his most indifferent teammates inspired.

Eichel needs to stop moping or turn his moping into his personal rallying cry to grab the puck and ram it down the opposition's goal netting. Having trouble getting a goal still; play out of character, throw a hit or two

I really do hope Eichel isn't jealous of a naturally charismatic NFL QB though... 

Are charisma and leadership the same? I think the two are being confused here.

Edited by Doohickie

13 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Are charisma and leadership the same? I think the two are being confused here.

They are both similar and different.

Being charismatic doesn't necessarily make you a leader but being an effective leader tends to mean you have at least some degree of charisma. 

Leadership is "Person A" leading/commanding a group of others

Charisma is "Person A's" ability to draw others to them

3 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

Well my friend is also neighbors with a current Sabre and so part was attributed to his thoughts. There are feelings that Jack is quite jealous of how Josh Allen gets the commercials, the praise, and everything else that goes to Allen because of his leadership and the willingness for people to follow him anywhere. 

ummm... NFL vs NHL player.......and Allen has West-Herr commercial (what else does he have?) If anybody should be pissed its Allen.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

2 things:

@CallawaySabresHad the ROR Trade to St Louis an hour before anyone, so when he mentions something My Curiosity is peaked. 

I do find it interesting that there has been reports from Dreger and Friedman that the Sabres do not want Him to undergo surgery and he plans on preceding with it. Andrew Peters asked Dreger last week if the reason why they do not want Jack to have surgery is because of a possible trade. Friedman also mentioned that Adams is doing His Due Diligence and taking calls on all His Players to determine their worth around the league.  And as a side note, Friedman mentioned that Ducks GM Bob Murray did not do too much at the trade deadline as he has His Eyes on a bigger move this offseason to accelerate the Anaheim’s Rebuild and mentioned Eichel as a possible target, given their prospect pool.  

Its hard to compare Eichel and Allen. Buffalo is a Football City and will always be, particularly when the Sabres have been a disaster.  Compare the organizations, the Bills lucked into, I mean hired one of the leagues best GM-HC duos in the NFL who embarked on a comprehensive plan intelligent plan to build a winner. They have surrounded Allen with all the weapons He has needs to be successful.  They have built a Top Flight Coaching Staff with Coordinators who are in line for HC Positions of their own. The Bills Front Office is composed of some of the brightest minds in the league who are on Future GM Tracks themselves and they have one of the Top Analytics Departments in the NFL. Couple that with the fact that the NFL prints money, the Bills were spared the budget cuts that effected the other PSE Properties.

Now compare the Sabres and Eichel. Jack is on His Third GM and Fourth HC in six seasons. They have been the laughing stock of the league and Jack hears it from fellow players around the league. He has watched friends of His go onto success in the playoffs and has had two of His Better Friends leave the Sabres and win Cups within 12 months. He has watched as multiple GMs have attempted to build a winner using a patchwork of trades and UFA signings, all which have failed and left the Sabres a perennial Lottery Participant.  The result is a roster composed of now three GMs drafting and signings all lacking a comprehensive plan. Then this past offseason He watched as the owners said Botterill was safe and only to nuke the entire Front Office and Scouting Department two weeks later. Adams was hired with zero front office experience, Nightengale and Crowe were promoted to positions they have never held. Now after Karmanos was hired, Crowe and Nightengale have has their job descriptions changed not even 12 months after being put into these positions. 

Trading Eichel will make this team worst. There probably is not a return that the Sabres get the better player. 
Another thing is the Pegulas have to be looking at the financial aspects of moving Jack. The season ticket holder base has been decreasing and the number of games selling out has been dramatically reduced. Moving the teams marquee player will accelerate that and NHL Franchises are rumored to have lost more than 50 Million each this season. 

That all being said Adams and Karmanos might think that the best path forward is to reset the core, move forward with Don Granato as Coach for now and acquire picks and prospects for over the next two seasons and build for there. I am not advocating this at all, another two years of rebuild/tanking will destroy this website.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

@CallawaySabresHad the ROR Trade to St Louis an hour before anyone, so when he mentions something My Curiosity is peaked. 

Thanks very much for this - I didn't have any context for @CallawaySabres's track record when it comes to inside scoops.

Respect!

Fwiw: My third-hand inside source has related the same sort of feedback/update on Eichel. What a bummer. Welp. Onward.

30 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I do find it interesting that there has been reports from Dreger and Friedman that the Sabres do not want Him to undergo surgery and he plans on preceding with it. Andrew Peters asked Dreger last week if the reason why they do not want Jack to have surgery is because of a possible trade. Friedman also mentioned that Adams is doing His Due Diligence and taking calls on all His Players to determine their worth around the league.  And as a side note, Friedman mentioned that Ducks GM Bob Murray did not do too much at the trade deadline as he has His Eyes on a bigger move this offseason to accelerate the Anaheim’s Rebuild and mentioned Eichel as a possible target, given their prospect pool.  

Its hard to compare Eichel and Allen. Buffalo is a Football City and will always be, particularly when the Sabres have been a disaster.  Compare the organizations, the Bills lucked into, I mean hired one of the leagues best GM-HC duos in the NFL who embarked on a comprehensive plan intelligent plan to build a winner. They have surrounded Allen with all the weapons He has needs to be successful.  They have built a Top Flight Coaching Staff with Coordinators who are in line for HC Positions of their own. The Bills Front Office is composed of some of the brightest minds in the league who are on Future GM Tracks themselves and they have one of the Top Analytics Departments in the NFL. Couple that with the fact that the NFL prints money, the Bills were spared the budget cuts that effected the other PSE Properties.

Now compare the Sabres and Eichel. Jack is on His Third GM and Fourth HC in six seasons. They have been the laughing stock of the league and Jack hears it from fellow players around the league. He has watched friends of His go onto success in the playoffs and has had two of His Better Friends leave the Sabres and win Cups within 12 months. He has watched as multiple GMs have attempted to build a winner using a patchwork of trades and UFA signings, all which have failed and left the Sabres a perennial Lottery Participant.  The result is a roster composed of now three GMs drafting and signings all lacking a comprehensive plan. Then this past offseason He watched as the owners said Botterill was safe and only to nuke the entire Front Office and Scouting Department two weeks later. Adams was hired with zero front office experience, Nightengale and Crowe were promoted to positions they have never held. Now after Karmanos was hired, Crowe and Nightengale have has their job descriptions changed not even 12 months after being put into these positions. 

Trading Eichel will make this team worst. There probably is not a return that the Sabres get the better player. 
Another thing is the Pegulas have to be looking at the financial aspects of moving Jack. The season ticket holder base has been decreasing and the number of games selling out has been dramatically reduced. Moving the teams marquee player will accelerate that and NHL Franchises are rumored to have lost more than 50 Million each this season. 

That all being said Adams and Karmanos might think that the best path forward is to reset the core, move forward with Don Granato as Coach for now and acquire picks and prospects for over the next two seasons and build for there. I am not advocating this at all, another two years of rebuild/tanking will destroy this website.

I really thought twice about posting anything as there was plenty more I could have said....I thought this was really all I wanted to mention and it probably sounds obvious/BS without mentioning specifically who said what. The bottom line is that there are plenty of people not happy with Eichel's overall attitude and they way he handles himself. Speaking of the O'Reilly trade, the same Blues person who told me about that one said that Hall was just despised in many circles and that nobody is going to want him after this year is done....

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

I really thought twice about posting anything as there was plenty more I could have said....I thought this was really all I wanted to mention and it probably sounds obvious/BS without mentioning specifically who said what. The bottom line is that there are plenty of people not happy with Eichel's overall attitude and they way he handles himself. Speaking of the O'Reilly trade, the same Blues person who told me about that one said that Hall was just despised in many circles and that nobody is going to want him after this year is done....

If true, it smells like Eichel, Reinhart, and Ristolainen are all going out the door.

Honestly, I have some sympathy for those three.  The ownership has been mercurial, alternating between what it wants, who it likes, etc.  Management has been chaotic.  The GMs had different philosophies, misused their assets, and refused to work with what they had.  The coaching has been terrible overall.  Roster construction has been terrible.

The Pegulas deserve this.  And with ticket sales tanking, they deserve it.

I really think the Sabres could be on the verge of a huge jump in the standings, but they need to hire the right coach.  For the first time since 2012-3, they actually can ice a competent NHL roster next season without the changes that typically come in an off-season.  Then they need to fix the management and hockey departments.

As I have said for the 9 years since The Tank became official policy, God, this sucks.

What interests me the last few games here is RJ's possible Grand Finale. If he packs it up at the end of this season, I wouldn't blame him a bit. I think the time is right, even though we're looking at mediocrity going forward. I hope they win one for RJ. For many years now, he's made the Sabres look a lot more exciting and a lot better than they deserve. I'll miss you RJ.

Edited by Kong
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Kong said:

What interests me the last few games here is RJ's possible Grand Finale. If he packs it up at the end of this season, I wouldn't blame him a bit. I think the time is right, even though we're looking at mediocrity going forward. For many years now, he has made the Sabres look a lot more exciting and a lot better than they deserve. I'll miss you RJ.

😭

Ted Darling and Rick Jenneret were where I learnt what hockey should sound like.  I can hear them in my head when I am at a game.  He deserves better than the wretched product he's been announcing this past decade.

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.