It's time to trade Ristolainen.

LGR4GM

46 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I don’t think Dmen get good until now.

Some do take a long time to develop.  I think they show signs of improvement every year, slow but sure.  IMHO, Ristolainen has plateaued.  WYSIWYG.

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Risto has 1 year left and he's about to be on the wrong side of the age line (26-28). He probably wants at least a 5-7 year deal so do we really want to do that? 

I say no, and we should trade him now. 

This is a much more interesting discussion.

Does he want to be here? What are his contract demands? What is the trade market?

Separately, I liked the way he treated Housser tonight. Looked like leadership.

For a team I frequently see accused here of not caring enough, or having enough heart, he certainly doesn't lack either.

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

Does he want to be here? What are his contract demands? What is the trade market?

For a team I frequently see accused here of not caring enough, or having enough heart, he certainly doesn't lack either.

My gut tells me Risto is not interested in re-signing when his current contract is up.  Too much baggage here.  The next team he plays for will benefit for it.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Weave said:

My gut tells me Risto is not interested in re-signing when his current contract is up.  Too much baggage here.  The next team he plays for will benefit for it.

Mine agrees. With him and Reinhart.

Each will move on to better things.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

Risto has never struck me as lazy or immature. He always seems to play at his maximum and he clearly is a veteran voice in that room. My issue is only with how he plays hockey. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Mine agrees. With him and Reinhart.

Each will move on to better things.

Absolutely. It's simple, based on the last 10 years of Sabres hockey. The owners, GMs, the coaches, the poor fan and alumni experience, the constant directionless spin adrift in the seas of garbage -- if you have any competitive fire and want to win hockey games -- would you sign here for any longer than one season? (Unless you can get the Skinner deal, in which case, yeah, go for it.)

29 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Absolutely. It's simple, based on the last 10 years of Sabres hockey. The owners, GMs, the coaches, the poor fan and alumni experience, the constant directionless spin adrift in the seas of garbage -- if you have any competitive fire and want to win hockey games -- would you sign here for any longer than one season? (Unless you can get the Skinner deal, in which case, yeah, go for it.)

Hall wanted to sign LT, and Adams insisted on 1 year. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DarthEbriate said:

Can you imagine Hall $8M/8, Skinner &9M/8, and coach RaKru here through 2026? With defensive defenseman Dahlin and extending Eakin to be a PKer with veteran leadership?

No, it wasn't a comment on the quality of Adams' decision, it was a comment based on the point you made about people wanting to come here

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

No, it wasn't a comment on the quality of Adams' decision, it was a comment based on the point you made about people wanting to come here

That's just it. Skinner - never to the playoffs. Hall - most famous for being on teams that win the lottery. They've each had a great season, and they're both good complementary offensive players. But to get them here they wanted big money (which they got) and stability so they can switch it off in their 30s.

If Reinhart wants that, fine. Sign him up for what Hall wanted, $8Mx8. But if I'm Reinhart I've seen this clown show for long enough. I want what Adams gave Hall. 1 year, $8M, NMC so I have a choice in which playoff team I go to next year. I'll be motivated so that playoff teams want me and I can get a big paycheck with term the following offseason (or have to do 1 more 1-year deal until the cap goes up) and then I'll play in Seattle or Vancouver (or even Calgary/Edmonton) if being close to home is important to me like it was to Hall and Skinner.

4 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

That's just it. Skinner - never to the playoffs. Hall - most famous for being on teams that win the lottery. They've each had a great season, and they're both good complementary offensive players. But to get them here they wanted big money (which they got) and stability so they can switch it off in their 30s.

If Reinhart wants that, fine. Sign him up for what Hall wanted, $8Mx8. But if I'm Reinhart I've seen this clown show for long enough. I want what Adams gave Hall. 1 year, $8M, NMC so I have a choice in which playoff team I go to next year. I'll be motivated so that playoff teams want me and I can get a big paycheck with term the following offseason (or have to do 1 more 1-year deal until the cap goes up) and then I'll play in Seattle or Vancouver (or even Calgary/Edmonton) if being close to home is important to me like it was to Hall and Skinner.

Objection!

- - -

I agree on how Reinhart very well may be thinking. Seattle has crossed my mind a lot actually for a destination he MIGHT like 

13 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Objection!

- - -

I agree on how Reinhart very well may be thinking. Seattle has crossed my mind a lot actually for a destination he MIGHT like 

It's a fair objection. And perhaps an easier way to state it when they lose a step and their speed isn't what it was after age 31...   But Skinner had earned his way down to the 3rd line in Carolina, and RaKru dropped him down to the 2nd (and then obscenely to the 4th here), and even Granato dropped him off Reinhart's line to ignite last night's rally --- it wasn't Olofsson who got booted. Hall was our best forward in the first two games of the year. But as injuries and COVID came about, he disappeared. And when the team started gel under Granato, Hall was nowhere near our best forward. He lost his beloved coach and checked out on this team. He'll do it to the next one, too.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

Was he?

Yes. Hall was an empty vessel on cruise control for much of his time here. He made dumb plays and often coasted. I am so thankful he isn't signed to some 6 year 60 million dollar deal. 

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

I wonder what kind of return they could get by dealing Reino to Seattle?  Could be substantial.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Yes. Hall was an empty vessel on cruise control for much of his time here. He made dumb plays and often coasted. I am so thankful he isn't signed to some 6 year 60 million dollar deal. 

Unrecognizable to the player he’s been in Boston. Something was wrong and I’m not sure it was all Taylor Hall. He’s the perfect reminder of how bad this franchise is right now.

5 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Unrecognizable to the player he’s been in Boston. Something was wrong and I’m not sure it was all Taylor Hall. He’s the perfect reminder of how bad this franchise is right now.

One difference is his mindset: he is in a supporting role in Boston whereas he had a primary role here.  He clearly seems to be more comfortable in that kind of role.  In fact, I think he said so a few years ago, but I would not want to be quoted on that.

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Can you imagine Hall $8M/8, Skinner &9M/8, and coach RaKru here through 2026? With defensive defenseman Dahlin and extending Eakin to be a PKer with veteran leadership?

This why i feel sam will be moved it looks like they wanted hall and not sam .

Classic buffalo wanted drury and he screwed them in the end sounds like hall 

14 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I wonder what kind of return they could get by dealing Reino to Seattle?  Could be substantial.

Nothing, Seattle has a great analytics team put together and I would bet money they would riot over adding a player like Risto. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.