Sabre Goaltending Injuries

Taro T

What an absolute ridiculous run of injuries in net this year.  Has to be the Sabres worst spell since at least the late '80's, if not all time.

Haven't followed the rest of the league nearly as closely since the Pegula era began as had done prior to it, but what other teams have had this sort of a run?  All the top 3 goalies will now have suffered significant LBIs.  

Hoping this injury run doesn't get blamed on Bales.  (Don't see why it would, but sometimes blame must be found whether deserved or not.)

Anybody think Houser gets a game vs Pittsburgh?

29 minutes ago, Taro T said:

What an absolute ridiculous run of injuries in net this year.  Has to be the Sabres worst spell since at least the late '80's, if not all time.

Haven't followed the rest of the league nearly as closely since the Pegula era began as had done prior to it, but what other teams have had this sort of a run?  All the top 3 goalies will now have suffered significant LBIs.  

Hoping this injury run doesn't get blamed on Bales.  (Don't see why it would, but sometimes blame must be found whether deserved or not.)

Anybody think Houser gets a game vs Pittsburgh?

I have a hockey book which analysed what the worst teams all time have in common and what causes massive one-season drop-offs.  One common, but not universal, theme was injuries to the goaltenders.

I personally would put in Houser once.  Why not?

• Thanks (+1) 1

I think they are faking it so they don’t have to backstop these pantywastes.

I swear, with Jack out, Risto and Sam are the only players that can do something with the puck when someone is hanging all over  them.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I have a hockey book which analysed what the worst teams all time have in common and what causes massive one-season drop-offs.  One common, but not universal, theme was injuries to the goaltenders.

Agree on Houser.  It can't get any uglier than what it'll be with the real Tokarski in net for the last 4.

The positive coming out if this is, provided they get the coach right & have a healthy Ullmark & a worthy batterymate, that teams very likely will look past the Sabres early in the season & they'll be able to come out of the gate and gain the kids enough confidence that with the better structure/strategy they could keep that going once teams do start taking them seriously.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I think they are faking it so they don’t have to backstop these pantywastes.

I swear, with Jack out, Risto and Sam are the only players that can do something with the puck when someone is hanging all over  them.

Came real close to going w/ the crying emoji instead of the laughing one.

At a certain point, all you can do is just shake your head in wonderment.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

It's not bad luck, it's ridiculous management.

It's hard in this league to have any goalie start night after night and this season is especially exhausting. I am sure overplaying these guys is leading to the problems. UPL should not have started this game. 

Seriously?  Luukkonnen's injury was due to overuse?  Huh?

This was his THIRD consecutive start and only his 4th NHL game total, where with each of the 3 straight he had a day off in between games.  If he can't handle THAT workload, he'll NEVER be an NHLer.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

This was his THIRD consecutive start and only his 4th NHL game total, where with each of the 3 straight he had a day off in between games.  If he can't handle THAT workload, he'll NEVER be an NHLer.

There are numerous articles on the subject. Performance is down in back to backs and tired players (especially goalies) are more likely to get injured. 

Here's one I found quickly on the performance angle.

https://www.nhl.com/news/super-16-analytics-say-rest-goalies-on-back-to-backs/c-734778

Now as for the injuries, it's pretty simple logic really. For one, our goalies face a lot of shots and a lot of traffic. They have to work harder than goalies on a good team that can play D. So, logically, more tired than average. 

Second, when you're tired your reactions are slower. As a goalie if you're a slight step behind in any movements or reactions maybe you have to reach or extend further on a play than you would have normally, moving quicker, boom, pulled groin, wrenched knee, whatever. It's pretty obvious imo.

Or do you just think it's "bad luck"? 

35 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

There are numerous articles on the subject. Performance is down in back to backs and tired players (especially goalies) are more likely to get injured. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/super-16-analytics-say-rest-goalies-on-back-to-backs/c-734778

Now as for the injuries, it's pretty simple logic really. For one, our goalies face a lot of shots and a lot of traffic. They have to work harder than goalies on a good team that can play D. So, logically, more tired than average. 

Second, when you're tired your reactions are slower. As a goalie if you're a slight step behind in any movements or reactions maybe you have to reach or extend further on a play than you would have normally, moving quicker, boom, pulled groin, wrenched knee, whatever. It's pretty obvious imo.

In BACK TO BACKS.

He had a day of rest after each of the last 2 starts.  He is 22 years old and you believe he can't play hockey every other day for nearly an entire week.  Again, seriously?

Realizing it's been a seriously long time since the Sabres have been in a playoff game, but most of those games are played every other day.  Would you suggest that teams need to platoon their goaltending in the playoffs?  (You know, when the games are actually intense?)  

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

In BACK TO BACKS.

He had a day of rest after each of the last 2 starts.  He is 22 years old and you believe he can't play hockey every other day for nearly an entire week.  Again, seriously?

Realizing it's been a seriously long time since the Sabres have been in a playoff game, but most of those games are played every other day.  Would you suggest that teams need to platoon their goaltending in the playoffs?  (You know, when the games are actually intense?)  

I'm simply suggesting that our goalies are over worked and thus subject to additional physical strains and, as it has happened, more injuries. 

Go ahead and believe it's just bad luck if you want to. 

8 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Hell I'd put Vinz in at this point.  Let him get a shot.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

UPL's injury had nothing (0)! To do with management or over use.  We don't need to create things to bash management for. Only lose credibility in doing so.

• Thanks (+1) 2

On 5/1/2021 at 4:41 PM, Taro T said:

Agree 100%! Where would Ryan Miller’s career gone with that type of panty waste work load. Rumor has it the Yoga instructor was let go in the layoffs. 

I haven't read the whole thread, but has anyone discussed whether in fact we are seeing more goalies get hurt in general?

It does appear that goalies on all teams are getting hurt at a much higher rate than previous. The old saying if you have 2 goalies you don't have one seems to pretty antiquated in these times. YOU NEED AT LEAST 2!

I wonder if the style coached into all goalies these days has a potentially risky effect on them physically?

Just some thoughts I'd had this season about the topic.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, nucci said:

why did we trade away a goalie this year?

That's already been discussed to death, but Readers Digest version is:

He'll be a UFA next season (doesn't have enough NHL experience for the Sabrss to keep him as an RFA).

The Sabres will almost definitely have 2 better goalies than him on paper at the NHL level & he will not have a legit expectation of being an NHLer in Buffalo for quite some time.

The Amerks are set with Luukkonnen & already under contract Tokarski next season.  He'd be a long shot for getting playing time, should the Sabres even want him for Ra-cha-cha; so he has no reason to expect to sign on his own to play there as well.

A 6th is virtually worthless.  Come effective July 1 (whenever the new league year start date actually falls), he has 0 value to the Sabres and he's worth even less.

In a year that they will likely be dead last & at best 3rd worst, is it really reasonable to assume they need a 4th (5th?) bad goalie to limp to the finish line at a point when they only had 1 injured goalie?

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Taro T said:

That's already been discussed to death, but Readers Digest version is:

He'll be a UFA next season (doesn't have enough NHL experience for the Sabrss to keep him as an RFA).

The Sabres will almost definitely have 2 better goalies than him on paper at the NHL level & he will not have a legit expectation of being an NHLer in Buffalo for quite some time.

The Amerks are set with Luukkonnen & already under contract Tokarski next season.  He'd be a long shot for getting playing time, should the Sabres even want him for Ra-cha-cha; so he has no reason to expect to sign on his own to play there as well.

A 6th is virtually worthless.  Come effective July 1 (whenever the new league year start date actually falls), he has 0 value to the Sabres and he's worth even less.

In a year that they will likely be dead last & at best 3rd worst, is it really reasonable to assume they need a 4th (5th?) bad goalie to limp to the finish line at a point when they only had 1 injured goalie?

thanks, it was mostly rhetorical

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

I haven't read the whole thread, but has anyone discussed whether in fact we are seeing more goalies get hurt in general?

It does appear that goalies on all teams are getting hurt at a much higher rate than previous. The old saying if you have 2 goalies you don't have one seems to pretty antiquated in these times. YOU NEED AT LEAST 2!

I wonder if the style coached into all goalies these days has a potentially risky effect on them physically?

I think it has more to do with how players are approaching scoring. Goalies have sorta backed themselves into a corner by being too good, so now you have to finish every play standing on top of the goalie on the off chance the puck squirts loose. So guys are falling all over goalies, crashing into them, getting pushed into them by the defenders. It's very dangerous as a goalie to put yourself in vulnerable positions to make a save.

Frankly it's a testament to goalie fitness and training that there aren't more injuries. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

Don't know if it's due to injuries or just compressed schedules with everybody required to have 3 guys available and teams wanting to give their taxi squad goalie a start or 2, but Houser was the 95th different goalie to play this season.  The league record is 97 set back in '13-'14 which was the last time the Sabres used 6 different goalies.

• Thanks (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Don't know if it's due to injuries or just compressed schedules with everybody required to have 3 guys available and teams wanting to give their taxi squad goalie a start or 2, but Houser was the 95th different goalie to play this season.  The league record is 97 set back in '13-'14 which was the last time the Sabres used 6 different goalies.

If Houser plays this will be the 6th Sabres goalie this season 

12 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If Houser plays this will be the 6th Sabres goalie this season 

Right.  Sorry if that wasn't clear.  The implication of stating '14 was the last time the Sabres had used 6 goalies was because they just did it again.  

And FTR, this is the 3rd time the Sabres used 6 goalies.

51 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Right.  Sorry if that wasn't clear.  The implication of stating '14 was the last time the Sabres had used 6 goalies was because they just did it again.  

And FTR, this is the 3rd time the Sabres used 6 goalies.

The difference is that we didn't keep trading them because they played too well.

I am still upset at XGMTM for doing that crap.  Aside from not icing a competent NHL team.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.