Will Borgen for expansion protection

LGR4GM

38 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Idc if you expose Risto. Borgen should be protected over him. 

What does this mean?  He’s on the ice when the opposition has high danger scoring chances 60% of the time or he’s on the ice when the Sabres are creating high danger scoring chances 60% of the time.  I wish the charts came with a key or legend so I could understand them better. 🙁

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, inkman said:

What does this mean?  He’s on the ice when the opposition has high danger scoring chances 60% of the time or he’s on the ice when the Sabres are creating high danger scoring chances 60% of the time.  I wish the charts came with a key or legend so I could understand them better. 🙁

Haven't you noticed how every time McCabe and Borgen are on the ice they are doing so much to create dangerous scoring chances?

And people laugh at +/-

52 minutes ago, inkman said:

You could use Google and look up hdcf%

It means that the team is getting 60% of the HD chances when they're on the ice. 

Also Risto is mediocre and needs a change of scenery. 

44 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Haven't you noticed how every time McCabe and Borgen are on the ice they are doing so much to create dangerous scoring chances?

And people laugh at +/-

Have notice how much they do to eliminate the oppositions HD chances?

Borgen has another week to win us over. Given the D available and some of the costs, Seattle should definitely look at some pricey top-pairing all-around guys and make up the difference with a cheap Borgen type.

The reasons for exposing Risto: cap hit; good but not great player; Seattle will have oodles of defensemen to choose from who play various roles better than Ristolainen and in some cases for less money; Seattle is reportedly very big on analytics and Risto does not match those criteria; we've had rumors on Risto's trade value being pretty poor league-wide the last few years now, so Seattle isn't going to pick him and suddenly spin him for a 1st + anything. 

Scenarios:

• If you expose Risto and Miller, Seattle takes Miller to use the extra $2M elsewhere. Seattle can look at Risto and Miller as playing the same role, so while Ristolainen is better, there are other D options that are going make Ristolainen unncessary.
  • If you expose Borgen and Miller, I think you have to offer a 3rd or 4th to get Seattle to take Miller over Borgen. Miller does have the upside as a PP2 guy and has that shot... but when you look at some of the other D options for Seattle, they don't need to pay that much money for a 3rd pairing guy.

Now --- after exposing the veteran of the D-corp to expansion --- does that affect Ristolainen next season? Are we then forced to deal him at the trade deadline? Or can he use it as motivation to go have a great season with a new coach, a revitalized Eichel, and such?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm not protecting Ristolainen. 

Your Risto hate is,… kinda funny.

I'm not sure if he's good (I kinda think he's has skills that have value), not sure if he's bad (I see stuff I wish he didn't do.), but…

Who is your prototypical D man. Who would you rather have in his stead? I kinda think we need the guy you wish we had, and Risto.

Risto has value.

Edited by SwampD

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

How many of those players have spent that entire time  playing on the team that is the worst in the NHL over that period (I didn’t check that stat,  but I assume the Sabres are the worst overall in that period). 

Almost every player who leaves looks better when they go. 

At this point I am ready for Risto to go, if for no other reason than to let fans pick a different player to symbolize all that is wrong with the Sabres. My bet is on Tage Thompson assuming the mantle. 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Do you really think the numbers Risto accrued as a baby as the most heavily used defenseman on some of the worst teams ever are relevant as to whether or not he should be protected?

38 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Hello, friends, I'm Will Borgen, professional hockey player. Are you expanding? Do you need protection?

I hope it is not protection like criminal organizations give.  😉

Hypothesis: We must protect Borgen at all costs

Reasoning: to say something outlandish and gain attention and prove I'm smarter than everyone else including NHL people

Evidence: Any stats are ok, no matter how small the sample size and without regard to context

Debunking: A couple weeks ago it was get rid of Casey Mittelstadt to keep Borgen at all costs

11 hours ago, Archie Lee said:

How many of those players have spent that entire time  playing on the team that is the worst in the NHL over that period (I didn’t check that stat,  but I assume the Sabres are the worst overall in that period). 

Almost every player who leaves looks better when they go. 

At this point I am ready for Risto to go, if for no other reason than to let fans pick a different player to symbolize all that is wrong with the Sabres. My bet is on Tage Thompson assuming the mantle. 

This was, is,  and will continue to be false. 

Actually make players who are better after they leave. Hall is included because Krueger sucked and hall is actually still the same.

Edited by LGR4GM

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

Do you really think the numbers Risto accrued as a baby as the most heavily used defenseman on some of the worst teams ever are relevant as to whether or not he should be protected?

No one ever stops to question why Ristolainen has terrible numbers and yet other defenders come here and do better. Maybe he's part of the reason the teams had. He's not good. Trade him. 

This place astounds me. Jack Eichel is expendable via trade but Ristolainen, a defender with awful metrics is a valuable piece we need. 

He's 5/6 defender with size who run a pp2. He makes dumb decisions often, doesn't tilt the ice in your team's favor, and is a reason we won't make the playoffs. He's part of the problem. 

Edited by LGR4GM

9 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I hope it is not protection like criminal organizations give.  😉

I was thinking more along the lines of a late night infomercial for hernia belts designed for obese men made of space age polymers.

41 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This place astounds me. Jack Eichel is expendable via trade but Ristolainen, a defender with awful metrics is a valuable piece we need. 

He's 5/6 defender with size who run a pp2. He makes dumb decisions often, doesn't tilt the ice in your team's favor, and is a reason we won't make the playoffs. He's part of the problem. 

Risto has never been asked to carry a franchise to ONE freaking measly playoff berth in a league that passes them out like Big Mac coupons. Nor has he been paid as such. Risto can play the appropriate role, which you nailed — something along the lines of second/third pair guy on a contender. Eichel has to play his role — leader and top center on a playoff team. Still waiting...

Edited by PASabreFan

23 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I was thinking more along the lines of a late night infomercial for hernia belts designed for obese men made of space age polymers.

Risto has never been asked to carry a franchise to ONE freaking measly playoff berth in a league that passes them out like Big Mac coupons. Nor has he been paid as such. Risto can play the appropriate role, which you nailed — something along the lines of second/third pair guy on a contender. Eichel has to play his role — leader and top center on a playoff team. Still waiting...

One player can not carry a team to success.  It just doesn’t work like that in the NHL.

Risto is not being paid or deployed as a 2/3 pair guy.  He would do fine in that role most likely.

One year from now is he going to take a pay cut to stay in Buffalo and play that role?  If not then he is a one year rental asset.  This must be kept at the forefront when considering what to do with him.

Borgen meanwhile will be much cheaper and under team control for at least 3  more years.

Not all of this is a direct response to your post, but I kind of used it as a jumping off point.

• Like (+1) 3

@lLGR4GM lol, this thread and then another one for "time to trade Risto", man, you really really hate Risto. 

3 hours ago, Curt said:

One player can not carry a team to success.  It just doesn’t work like that in the NHL.

Risto is not being paid or deployed as a 2/3 pair guy.  He would do fine in that role most likely.

One year from now is he going to take a pay cut to stay in Buffalo and play that role?  If not then he is a one year rental asset.  This must be kept at the forefront when considering what to do with him.

Borgen meanwhile will be much cheaper and under team control for at least 3  more years.

Not all of this is a direct response to your post, but I kind of used it as a jumping off point.

Pretty much agree with this though. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.