Eichel and USA Hockey launch first NFT

matter2003

16 hours ago, Doohickie said:

They have a function, a value.  NFTs have no function.

They sorta do? In a digital sense.

6 hours ago, Eleven said:

I don't necessarily want to be all "get off my lawn" about this, but I think I have to:  These things are freaking stupid.

The thing that made me do a triple take on NFT's was when I read that owning an NFT has no bearing, per se, on having intellectual property rights to the thing itself. So, that piece of digital art that went for many, many millions of dollars, if I have this right, the person who "bought it" (as an NFT (?)) now has a blockchain embedded, unique signifier establishing that the artwork is theirs. But they don't have any exclusive rights to it.

Isn't that the whole concept of property? The right to exclude others therefrom?

Are NFT's not ... property?

1 hour ago, LTS said:

So basically people have an NFT, which us a 100% unique digital signature (for now) and they supposedly have value because they have that signature. But they don't actually OWN the digital piece of work that the NFT represents ownership of, they just own the unique NFT that represents ownership.

Sheesh.

I'm unclear on what's actually owned. The signature itself?

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

They sorta do? In a digital sense.

The thing that made me do a triple take on NFT's was when I read that owning an NFT has no bearing, per se, on having intellectual property rights to the thing itself. So, that piece of digital art that went for many, many millions of dollars, if I have this right, the person who "bought it" (as an NFT (?)) now has a blockchain embedded, unique signifier establishing that the artwork is theirs. But they don't have any exclusive rights to it.

Isn't that the whole concept of property? The right to exclude others therefrom?

Are NFT's not ... property?

Sheesh.

I'm unclear on what's actually owned. The signature itself?

The Sabres as NFT?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.