Ryan Miller Announces Retirement From the NHL

Brawndo

• Brawndo changed the title to Ryan Miller Announces Retirement From the NHL
12 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I so loved and got accustomed to RJ's "MILLERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!" over the years.

It's in that highlight pack a few times: for me his best, most memorable game was Game 2 against Ottawa, 2006. We had the big win in Game 1 but the conventional wisdom coming from outside was that maybe we got a bit lucky and Ottawa would bounce back in game 2. Ottawa did, but Miller shut the door brilliantly. Took the first 2 on the road - series was ours at that point, I think. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Nope. It's a disgrace that he didn't play his whole career here. He should have retired a Sabre. Unforgivable that this organization was too amateur to make it happen.

I think he was destined for the West Coast regardless of what the Sabres wanted.

And we certainly have suffered without him.

Wait... is he retiring now? Because there's only like 7 games left. That's like a Miller Retirement equivalent of a Miller Shutout. Which is actually pretty darn funny.

Or is he announcing he will retire?

At any rate, excellent goalie, apparently a good person around the community. And yes, they've been looking for his equivalent since. And at times trading away anyone who came close.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

Wait... is he retiring now? Because there's only like 7 games left. That's like a Miller Retirement equivalent of a Miller Shutout. Which is actually pretty darn funny.

Or is he announcing he will retire?

At any rate, excellent goalie, apparently a good person around the community. And yes, they've been looking for his equivalent since. And at times trading away anyone who came close.

He announced that he'll retire at the end of the season.

2 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

After Hasek, Miller suffered around town by the comparisons.  He is one of a long line of very good goaltenders the Sabres have had.

Picking up on 11, I have a vague memory of the Sabres going to core players and asking them if they wanted to suffer along with the rest of us. That might have been Vanek only.

2 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

After Hasek, Miller suffered around town by the comparisons.  He is one of a long line of very good goaltenders the Sabres have had.

Perfectly stated. Very good job.

3 hours ago, Thwomp! said:

Congratulations Ryan on a very good career.  (Hall of Fame or no?) Thanks for some awesome memories!

The HOF debate is going to be very interesting for him.

His 2010 season is an all-time season. Most wins by an American goaltender (sad he fell just short of 400). Silver Medal and Olympics MVP on his record.

I hope he gets in and I hope nobody ever wears 30 again for the Sabres.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Picking up on 11, I have a vague memory of the Sabres going to core players and asking them if they wanted to suffer along with the rest of us. That might have been Vanek only.

Vanek and Pominville are two I know of.  Pominville was quasi-willing, Vanek was not.  I think the same thing happened with Miller once The Tank was official policy.

On the other hand, Stu Barnes was willing to stay with the team through the bankruptcy, but Darcy wanted to rebuild.  The Sabres also considered trying to get Barnes and Peca back after 7/1/7.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.