Summer of 21'

sweetlou

What players should the sabres be targeting in the off season via free agency or trade?  

Who will be coaching this team?

Who can come in and change the culture of this team and organization?

Who do the Sabres need to move on from?

This is going to be a very interesting off season because teams may be willing to trade players for picks because they know they will not be able to protect them in Seattle  expansion draft.

We can ice this team (minus whoever goes to Seattle) in September:

• Skinner Eichel Reinhart
  • Olofsson Cozens Ruotsalainen
  • Asplund Mittelstadt Thompson
  • Bjork Girgensons Eakin Okposo
  • Dahlin Jokiharju
  • Samuelsson Ristolainen
  • Bryson Borgen Miller

with approximately $8-15 million in cap space to sign two goalies and make any upgrades.

Actual cap space is $31.5 million.

I'd project ~ $20 million of that to RFAs Reinhart and Dahlin (a lot), Jokiharju and Mitts (affordable bridges), Asplund and Borgen (dirt cheap)

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

We can ice this team (minus whoever goes to Seattle) in September:

• Skinner Eichel Reinhart
  • Olofsson Cozens Ruotsalainen
  • Asplund Mittelstadt Thompson
  • Bjork Girgensons Eakin Okposo
  • Dahlin Jokiharju
  • Samuelsson Ristolainen
  • Bryson Borgen Miller

with approximately $8-15 million in cap space to sign two goalies and make any upgrades.

Actual cap space is $31.5 million.

I'd project ~ $20 million of that to RFAs Reinhart and Dahlin (a lot), Jokiharju and Mitts (affordable bridges), Asplund and Borgen (dirt cheap)

You don't expect McCabe back?

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

You don't expect McCabe back?

Expect, no. I think there is a chance and I hope it happens.

It depends on a lot of factors: Dahlin's contract, what happens with Reinhart and Risto, who ends up with Seattle in the expansion draft, and how his injury affects his market value. Also his mindset: does he have unfinished business here, or is he ready for a reset?

Cap space isn't infinite and the Sabres may see Borgen and/or Samuelsson as ready to take over his role at a cheaper price and choose to spend money elsewhere.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finding a coach with some emotion is a must...Sabres have not had a coach with passion since Ruff was let go.  I like Torts because he strives for his players to play the right way all the time.  If you aren't willing to play a 200ft game then you don't play.  Not sure if that would mesh with some of the current stars on the team, (Eichel, Sam, and Skinner) but who knows.   I also like Gallant because of his experience with Vegas. He took a bunch of players that other teams didn't want and got them to the playoffs in his first year.

Getting a solid goalie tandem is also a must.  I believe Sabres will offer Ullmark a 3yr $4-5million AAV contract. Not sure if he would get more on the open market?

One of Risto, Reinhart, or Olofsson I feel will be moved to bring in goaltender or more physical top six forward.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.