Practice Notes 4/28/21

Brawndo

14 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I noticed Caggiula getting more attention in the 2nd half last night.

I wonder if this is part of the ongoing "let's see what we have," a commentary on Thompson's play, or an attempt to rebalance the lines.

The bottom 3 RWs are certainly different players.

The Cozens line was not good last night, IMO

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I wonder if this is part of the ongoing "let's see what we have," a commentary on Thompson's play, or an attempt to rebalance the lines.

They have hit a wall recently.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

My guess is the demotion is a commentary on his play. He's going back to his prior play of too much dipsy doodling with the puck instead of making quicker decisions and actions with the puck on his stick. Playing cute is not going to cut it when playing with the big boys. 

5 hours ago, Thorny said:

Demotion for Thompson?

Promotion for Ruotsalainen?

A reminder for Cozens on what to focus on, for now?

I've enjoyed Thompson here lately but he hasn't been finishing.  I don't see this as a demotion so much as a break, a change of focus.  Don't worry about scoring, Tage, just go out there and bang around a little on the 4th line.

That said:  I bet he scores tomorrow.

• Like (+1) 2

Since RK was fired, this season is about seeing what we have and who is part of the solution and who is expendable.  Getting a better look at Caggiula, Bjork and R2 makes sense.  Thompson being demoted is probably not about him so much as seeing R2 with Mittelstadt who is our 2C or 3C moving forward.  I do see a little irony of putting two college scorers who haven't found their NHL touch with a top flight CHL rookie.  I would have liked to see them with Mittelstadt.

• Like (+1) 2

I don't doubt that Thompson's really stupid penalty against the Rangers is also playing into this.  It was the catalyst to the collapse in that game.  Poor play and taking a stupid penalty is not going to win you favors.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LTS said:

I don't doubt that Thompson's really stupid penalty against the Rangers is also playing into this.  It was the catalyst to the collapse in that game.  Poor play and taking a stupid penalty is not going to win you favors.

yeah, you don't have to retaliate right then and there.  In fact you don't have to retaliate with that player at all.  Level someone else who has the puck. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.