2021 "Not a Tank" Standings

Hoss

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Isn't this over? We're 6pts back from Anaheim with 52/55 games played, and they have 5 more ROW wins than us.

There are 56 games. But this did make me realize they probably have clinched top two because they can’t pass NJ or Vancouver in ROW (they could have when I started this so I didn’t consider it in standings). I’ll leave them on there because I don’t actually know what the league tiebreakers are in this strange season.

Edited by Hoss
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Update: the first tiebreaker is now just regulation wins. Buffalo has 10. Anaheim has 11. NJ has 14. Vancouver has 13.

When it gets to ROW they have no shot at the tiebreaker. The third tiebreaker is wins, period.

8 hours ago, Hoss said:

Update: the first tiebreaker is now just regulation wins. Buffalo has 10. Anaheim has 11. NJ has 14. Vancouver has 13.

When it gets to ROW they have no shot at the tiebreaker. The third tiebreaker is wins, period.

So, we can't catch NJ anymore, since we can at best tie in points and RW, but we can't get to 17 ROW.

For Vancouver, we'd have to win out in regulation ... and they'd have to lose 11 straight in regulation. 😲

Just Anaheim is left.  They have us in ROW (16 vs. 14 max), so we'd either have to beat them in points (need at least 7 out of 8 ) or tie (6-8 points, depending on what they do in their last 4) w/ more RW (they start with a lead of 1.)

Edited by carpandean

16 minutes ago, carpandean said:

So, we can't catch NJ anymore, since we can at best tie in points and RW, but we can't get to 17 ROW.

For Vancouver, we'd have to win out in regulation ... and they'd have to lose 11 straight in regulation. 😲

Just Anaheim is left.  They have us in ROW (16 vs. 14 max), so we'd either have to beat them in points (need at least 7 out of 8 ) or tie (6-8 points, depending on what they do in their last 4) w/ more RW (they start with a lead of 1.)

Good call on NJ. I’ll remove them. Math is hard (jk it’s always been a strength of mine I’m just lazy).

Serious question here. Even if the sabres are last in the league, its still very good possibility that they don't get the 1 pick?  Like the tank year when the nhl gave it to Edmonton?

It would be different if it was like the nfl where the picks were determined by the record

2 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Serious question here. Even if the sabres are last in the league, its still very good possibility that they don't get the 1 pick?  Like the tank year when the nhl gave it to Edmonton?

It would be different if it was like the nfl where the picks were determined by the record

there is an 18% the last-placed team picks first, a 65% chance they pick 3rd

http://www.tankathon.com/nhl/pick_odds

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Good lord the NHL lottery system is truly garbage. 

Too bad the change to teams not being able to move up more than 10 slots didn't happen this season.  Would bump the odds of the worst team winning the lottery up to 26%.  That seems to be about what it should be IMHO.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Too bad the change to teams not being able to move up more than 10 slots didn't happen this season.  Would bump the odds of the worst team winning the lottery up to 26%.  That seems to be about what it should be IMHO.

It is happening this draft, no?  I don’t think tankathon has updated %’s because I don’t think the NHL has released them.

56 minutes ago, Curt said:

It is happening this draft, no?  I don’t think tankathon has updated %’s because I don’t think the NHL has released them.

My understanding was dropping to only the 1st 2 picks being awarded by chance happens this season & the rest of the changes take place next year.

The lottery is a joke and should be kicked to the curb.  The NFL and MLB don’t have draft lotteries, and seem to be doing just fine.  

If the owners wanted it gone, it would be gone.   Not sure why they would be in favor of keeping it.  I’d like to know where the Pegula’s stand on this issue?

37 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

The lottery is a joke and should be kicked to the curb.  The NFL and MLB don’t have draft lotteries, and seem to be doing just fine.  

If the owners wanted it gone, it would be gone.   Not sure why they would be in favor of keeping it.  I’d like to know where the Pegula’s stand on this issue?

I’m guessing they hate it given it was a decision of theirs that led to the lottery being fortified.

8 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

It’s because of Buffalo tanking for Reinhart it exists 

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

No.  It's because Ted Black was openly saying, without SAYING, the Sabres were going to go HARD for McEichel.

You can blame XGMTM for it too.

13 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

You can blame XGMTM for it too.

Not so sure about that.  He kept them dead last for large stretches, but they were always close to crawling out of last place (want to say they even were out of the basement for a while until the January to never remember) and didn't clinch it until the 2nd last game.  (Yes, trading away every useful goalie & dumping Stafford & Myers for Bogosian (often broken) & Kane (completely broken that year) (the rest of the trade wasn't critical to that season, so not including it) was blatant.)   But at least he always SAID he was trying to win games unlike Black who was downright giddy at the prospect of icing a horrible team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.