Rink Etiquette - Wheels on a Hockey Equipment Bag

RayFinkle

21 minutes ago, RayFinkle said:

Serious rink etiquette question. Do you use a bag with wheels and/or would you allow your kid to use one?

GOALIES DO NOT COUNT

Prefer the kids not to use them, but don't have a big problem with them for PeeWees & younger.

If you're old enough to check, you're old enough to carry your own gear. 

1 minute ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Peewee is too old too. Atom/Squirt would be the limit.

There are some seriously small Peewees.  In general, don't like any kids playing organized games getting away with roller bags (the equipment mites wear is so small & light, even they should be able to carry their own), but wouldn't really give the kids flack for it until they were bantams.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

There are some seriously small Peewees.  In general, don't like any kids playing organized games getting away with roller bags (the equipment mites wear is so small & light, even they should be able to carry their own), but wouldn't really give the kids flack for it until they were bantams.

My daughter is the smallest of the small and was out of her wheelie bag by Peewee... Even with all the extra crap she keeps in there (old jerseys, extra clean/dirty undergear, backup equipment in case a friend forgets hers...).

Just now, JoeSchmoe said:

My daughter is the smallest of the small and was out of her wheelie bag by Peewee... Even with all the extra crap she keeps in there (old jerseys, extra clean/dirty undergear, backup equipment in case a friend forgets hers...).

Good for her.

6 hours ago, SwampD said:

Seriously?! Who GAF?

All that matters happens on the ice.

Etiquette has nothing to do with it. (It’s not even etiquette.)

Agree 100%!

Used to be that my ego prevented me from ever considering a wheeled bag.  Now I'm 65 and ZFG.

And I'm still playing 1st pairing D against younger guys (who carry their bags)!

• Like (+1) 1

I just trying to figure out the rationale behind not allowing wheelie bags.

... They don’t look as cool?

... They’re better for your back?

... Hockey players should never look like bowlers?

... That sound is annoying?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

I’m 60 and use a wheeled bag. I need to save my energy for the ice. My warmup is getting dressed. I’ve pulled a muscle tightening my skate laces. Plus the bag is more compact than the long ones. I have an old CCM bag which is no longer made, so I have to occasionally fix the zippers.

When I was a kid we’d walk 2 or 3 miles ( small town ) to the rink and back again, ( uphill both ways ) through 4 feet of blizzard like conditions then have to rescue a bull moose that had fallen through our ice. Wheels ? On the damn hockey bag ? Lord thunderin Jeebus ! What in tarnation ?

• Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, pastajoe said:

I’m 60 and use a wheeled bag. I need to save my energy for the ice. My warmup is getting dressed. I’ve pulled a muscle tightening my skate laces. Plus the bag is more compact than the long ones. I have an old CCM bag which is no longer made, so I have to occasionally fix the zippers.

Yeah - for the most part I'd say... if you can't lift your hockey bag you probably shouldn't play hockey.  But for the vets out there who love hockey, and still wanna get out there?  I get it 100%

It's like those push carts for golf bags - appropriate once you hit a certain age or have some back problems.  You might still get some crap, but we'll all get there someday anyway.

2 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Does your golf bag have wheels on it to get you from the car to the clubhouse and back? Why are you carrying a hockey bag 3.5 miles? If you do, by all means, use wheels.

You could have just said “me” and saved all the typing.  😁

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.