Elvis Merzlikins Comments on Buffalo

Hoss

6 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Buffalo has a deservedly crappy reputation around the league.

I wonder in this instance if He was talking about the Sabres 18 Game Winless Streak and did not want to continue down that path 

That’s absolutely what he was saying.

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Hoss said:

It's pretty jarring to hear the way players around the league have talked about the team but this is the first I've seen from someone with absolutely no connection to the team.

He is talking about struggling to break out of a long losing streak and the pressures, stress, and  embarrassment that comes with that.  Buffalo just went through an 18 game losing streak, hence the reference.  It wasn’t a referendum on the overall state of the franchise.

The losing streak was pathetic enough.  No need to manufacture it into something else.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Unfortunately I hear it often on Sports radio. Always the butt of jokes. Everyone getting their digs in. But when you’re this successful at being bad you have to own it. Things will get better. Eventually it’ll be another teams kick at the can. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Buffalo has a deservedly crappy reputation around the league.

I wonder in this instance if He was talking about the Sabres 18 Game Winless Streak and did not want to continue down that path 

It definitely is. But it's part of something that's certainly captured attention around the league. I think it's going to be a LONG LONG time before this franchise gets this stench wiped off.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Hoss said:

It definitely is. But it's part of something that's certainly captured attention around the league. I think it's going to be a LONG LONG time before this franchise gets this stench wiped off.

That depends on how they perform moving forward.

I can remember the 03/04 Penguins losing streak. How quickly that was forgotten a mere 2 seasons later.

9 hours ago, Hoss said:

It's pretty jarring to hear the way players around the league have talked about the team but this is the first I've seen from someone with absolutely no connection to the team.

Karma should make Columbus lose 19.

8 hours ago, bunomatic said:

Unfortunately I hear it often on Sports radio. Always the butt of jokes. Everyone getting their digs in. But when you’re this successful at being bad you have to own it. Things will get better. Eventually it’ll be another teams kick at the can. 

You mean like the Bills missing 17 playoff seasons? Funny how fast things change.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Hoss said:

The reason we are talked about is because of the absurdity of the ineptitude of this stretch, it's been a historically bad decade.

All they have to do is put together a winning season and make the playoffs and the "stench" is gone

It's precisely because we haven't had *any* success that we are talked about in those terms. Something like making the playoffs even ONCE is a MASSIVE, massive change

If we make the playoffs the talk won't be "they are still bad" - we've already proven over the course of a decade that making it while bad is impossible - we haven't, and won't, fluke it off. Making the playoffs will be revelatory whenever it eventually happens. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, inkman said:

He was talking about the winless streak.  Not the current state of the team. 

11 hours ago, Zamboni said:

It has everything to do with the losing streak the Sabres went thru. And nothing about the city or the fans or the actual franchise. Good grief....

11 hours ago, Curt said:

He is talking about struggling to break out of a long losing streak and the pressures, stress, and  embarrassment that comes with that.  Buffalo just went through an 18 game losing streak, hence the reference.  It wasn’t a referendum on the overall state of the franchise.

The losing streak was pathetic enough.  No need to manufacture it into something else.

Weak, weak sauce. Of course Elvis would say something similar about the franchise itself, but he knows not do that. If he ever did, he'd immediately leave the building.

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Referring to our 18 game losing streak, the worst part of what he said was “even for them it was hard.”   Buffalo is known as a team that accepts losing.  

Yep. Even is the smoking gun.

I love this notion that the long losing streak is the only strike against this franchise.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.