UPL to make His NHL Debut Friday April 23.

Brawndo

45 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

mistake

37 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Put up horrible numbers in Rochester, he isn't ready in any way shape or form yet.

So keep playing Toker until he drops?

Or play Housser who hasn't played a game all season anywhere, and only 8 games above an ECHL level since 2015?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Or play Housser who hasn't played a game all season anywhere, and only 8 games above an ECHL level since 2015?

Yeah not a lot of options at this point.  Why they didn’t pick up someone off waivers prior to the trade deadline is beyond me. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I question the timing... why vs BOS?   They gave up 41 shots (18 high danger chances) last game. 

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

Miller got lit up the first few games he came up, probably made him stronger.  If he gives up 6 or gets a shutout it really doesn’t define his future.

Very true. That still won’t stop knee-jerk reaction‘s that will make definitive proclamations on what his future will be. 😂

Lots of reasons to put UPL in as short term backup.

• He's earned the meager backup role.
  • Not putting him in with so many injuries on the roster would show a lack of confidence in him that he doesn't deserve.
  • Give him a taste of working with the NHL coaches and players in practice.
  • Give him a taste of playing in NHL games.
  • Expose him to the level of work ethic that it'll take to succeed at the NHL level.
  • Success or failure, he and the coaches will be able to identify areas of improvement in his game to continue to work on.
  • Give him a an opportunity to impress coaches and fans, even if chances aren't exactly favorable. Achievement is ability multiplied by opportunity.
  • He's not going to get shell shocked to the point of career ruination from a couple of games.
  • Better now than when the team was struggling under Krueger or during the winless streak.
  • Like (+1) 2

Let him play. He'll find out real quick what he needs to work on over the summer and next season in the AHL. 

If he has some success, he can go back down next year and build on that. 

Either way, if his psyche can't handle a little adversity he will never get through a seven game series let alone multiple per playoffs.

I don't think UPL is deserving of the hype he gets.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/ukko-pekka-luukkonen-on-cusp-of-sabres-most-anticipated-goalie-debut-since-ryan-miller/article_dbf11362-a2a5-11eb-9357-7f3c948e83ab.html

He was a late 2nd-rounder who had a fantastic D+1 season in the OHL and WJC, but hasn't approached that level before or since. He's yet to establish himself as a good AHL goalie and is as much of a one-year-wonder as whipping boy Jack Quinn.

That doesn't mean he's not a good or even excellent prospect, but thinking a goalie with 48 professional games under his belt — half of those in the ECHL — is close to NHL-ready is absurd. Linus had well over 200 before becoming an NHL back-up, which is a far more usual apprenticeship.

Edited by dudacek

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

It's one or two games...it is not going to ruin his career is he gets lit up...and if it does mess with him, then chances are his mental makeup was not very good to begin with.

Ya, that's pretty much my view. I don't think he's ready but with the situation Adams left the team in Tokharski can't play 3 games in 4 nights so they give him a look. It shouldn't ruin him. Hopefully he gains more perspective and works harder.

24 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I don't think UPL is deserving of the hype he gets.

I think any undeserved hype he receives is a product of being the only decent long term goalie prospect who was taken earlier in the draft than any Sabres G since Noronen in '99, which is not his fault.  If Ullmark leaves or UPL doesn't pan out, we'll go through the same thing with Portillo, who's shaping up well in B1G.

Side note: we should consider signing Strauss Mann to a two-way contract.

24 minutes ago, dudacek said:

That doesn't mean he's not a good or even excellent prospect, but thinking a goalie with 48 professional games under his belt — half of those in the AHL — is close to NHL-ready is absurd. Linus had well over 200 before becoming an NHL back-up, which is a far more usual apprenticeship.

Agreed.  Ullmark was drafted in 2012, nine years ago, when Ryan Miller was still starting, and he's just now getting his NHL game to a high level of performance and consistency.  UPL was drafted in 2017.

Edited by IKnowPhysics
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I question the timing... why vs BOS?   They gave up 41 shots (18 high danger chances) last game. 

Probably because this is 1 of only 4 remaining home games, it is the 2nd of btb's so they'll want to give Tokarski a night off, the other home series is against the Aisles right before the season ends & the next road opponent put up 9 against the struggling Phlyers netminders.

If they really want to see what he can do with the realistic possibility of giving him at least 2 games, if not 3 total, tonight or tomorrow is the night.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

It's one or two games...it is not going to ruin his career is he gets lit up...and if it does mess with him, then chances are his mental makeup was not very good to begin with.

This is mostly where I’m at though I don’t want to make proclamations about someone’s mental well-being without knowing them. This is a good move even if we were in a better position at net. He’s likely still another full year away from playing but it’s good to get him in front of some NHL shots and playing at an NHL pace.

48 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

1 Side note: we should consider signing Strauss Mann to a two-way contract.

2 Ullmark was drafted in 2012, nine years ago

1...they should sign Mann now to get him out of the way so Portillo can develop although I have a feeling Portillo will push for starts either way next season. 

2...They take soooooo long to develop!!!!!

5 minutes ago, Hoss said:

This is mostly where I’m at though I don’t want to make proclamations about someone’s mental well-being without knowing them. This is a good move even if we were in a better position at net. He’s likely still another full year away from playing but it’s good to get him in front of some NHL shots and playing at an NHL pace.

Both Biron & Miller got games due to injuries before they were truly NHL ready & both seemed none the worse for wear; though the tears were not a good look for Ryan at the time.

Agree this is a good move at present.

• Like (+1) 1

I like UPL and I support his ability to make it to the NHL.

I think he should spend atleast the next season in the AHL and try to lead them on a playoff run or two. 

I believe he has the ability to quiet things down and keep focus on the puck during scrums which the better ones have. 

IMO once he develops fully and gains the confidence that comes with winning he will be near the top of the league in high danger save %. 

21 hours ago, pi2000 said:

mistake

Given his play in Rochester, and his injuries, I get your point.  However,  Donnie Edwards was a bit younger and was also thrust into the job.  He stepped up.  

The Toker needs some rest and UPL is 22 and he is the next man up.  

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.