Another Reason to be Optimistic about Dylan Cozens

Brawndo

Jack had a better rookie year, and was also straight out of the draft, whereas this is Cozens second year post draft. In Jack's second year post draft, he finished 11th in the NHL in points per game

Still, Cozens is gonna be sick. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

Ya, I don't need another reason to be optimistic about this guy. I'm confident he's future captain/leadership material and will have a solid NHL career. I just hope we can build a playoff team that will give him the chance to really shine in the post season. I am confident Cozens will be one of those guys that excels in big games. 

3 hours ago, LTS said:

Does that include the number of times Cozens would look at the ceiling or glide to the bench for a shift change?

Asking for a friend.

In Eichel's defense:  He was instantly depended upon to be the savior of a franchise that was in no position to be saved because they'd just put all their eggs in one basket- him.

Cozens has experienced nowhere near the same level of pressure.  Even now where his line has an enhanced role under Granato, he's not bearing the weight of the same expectations Eichel had.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

#generational?

It doesn't matter.  Everything he brings is upside.  Without the hype that was applied to Jack, Cozens has been able to focus on development and playing his game.  He didn't get the spotlight right out of the gate.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, klos1963 said:

Easier said than done.

I believe we can upgrade goaltending this off season. Coaching I think has looked better under Granato. See what happens over remaining games and what decisions are made for coaching.

Botterill was interviewed in 2014 by PLF, but the job ultimately went to GMTM as we all know. 

With the Draft Capital accumulated in 2014 and more importantly 2015 with 4 Picks in the First 31, would the team have been in a better position now then if Botterill was hired instead?

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Botterill was interviewed in 2014 by PLF, but the job ultimately went to GMTM as we all know. 

With the Draft Capital accumulated in 2014 and more importantly 2015 with 4 Picks in the First 31, would the team have been in a better position now then if Botterill was hired instead?

Maybe. Botteril also tossed away draft capital on old vets. 

10 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Were JBot the GMTM...  Two things are clear: The stockpiled defensemen would be 2 years further along and we still would have traded a 3rd for Vesey.

• 2 weeks later...

Dylan Cozens rookie year prorated stats over a full season: 8 goals, 18 assists, 26 points — pretty similar to Mittelstadt's 12/13/25 rookie season.

He is currently on a 19-game goalless drought and has scored once since Feb. 23.

How confident are we that he can put up 40-plus points next year?

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Dylan Cozens rookie year prorated stats over a full season: 8 goals, 18 assists, 26 points — pretty similar to Mittelstadt's 12/13/25 rookie season.

He is currently on a 19-game goalless drought and has scored once since Feb. 23.

Assuming he's not centering the 4th line - very.

If that & driving the 2nd PP is his primary role next year, scale it back to 30+.

Let’s see.... a developing rookie forward Who is slated to be in the middle six most likely next season. Or at least play most of the games in the middle six. yes I can see him getting around 40 points next full season. Barring injury or long slumps of course.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Possible? Definitely. Confident it'll happen? Not at all. 40 points is a lot, honestly. 

People were comparing young Cozens to young Jack. Maybe we should start with young Reinhart, instead, and not the guy who, when he was Dylan's age, finished in a virtual tie for a spot in the Top 10 of LEAGUE WIDE scoring. 

Sam had 42 points his rookie year, his second year post draft, like Dylan. NM Jack, we forget how good even Sam is sometimes. They always get compared to the outliers, and I get that, because that's what their draft position is often representative of, but we should be careful in shrinking the relativity comparison to such a limited scale. 

Especially if drafting (and by extension draft position) is as much of a craps shoot as everyone says, right?

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.