15 years ago today

\GoBillsInDallas/

17 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I wonder if they ever fixed Umberger.

Nice goal after that.

My blood thirst quickly evaporates when watching that hit.  Dude got his brain scrambled. He’s got a family.  I don’t enjoy seeing anyone like that...other than Brad Marchand.  That guy can get dead. 

Edited by inkman
  • Like (+1) 1

The best part was that we won the game.

My memory of this was I listened to it via online radio live and was floored by it. The call was RJ at his peak -- the call and then he backed off and let the roar of the arena tell the story. That was what I remember - the crowd roar just didn't die down over the radio. Now, they were cheering for the continued fracas as well, but it was the sustain.

So! A couple hours later when I went out for beers with friends (mind you, west coast so it was probably 10-11 PM) and I directed friends to watch the bar's TV as sportscenter highlights were coming on...   the bar in Seattle let out a collective "oooofff" when they saw it. That hit was visceral to innocent bystanders who had no interest or connection to the teams or even the game.

1 hour ago, KC Scouts said:

Every youth hockey coach should show his players that video and explain WHY you don't stickhandle with your head down....unless you don't want your head.... 

Was his head down? And do youth players go head hunting?

1 hour ago, inkman said:

My blood thirst quickly evaporates when watching that hit.  Dude got his brain scrambled. He’s got a family.  I don’t enjoy seeing anyone like that...other than Brad Marchand.  That guy can get dead. 

It's also 15 years later. We know a lot more. And we should be a lot wiser.

5 hours ago, KC Scouts said:

Every youth hockey coach should show his players that video and explain WHY you don't stickhandle with your head down....unless you don't want your head.... 

They also should use it as an example of a "buddy pass" and why you never feed the puck to a spot that lines a teammate up for that sort of a hit.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Was his head down? And do youth players go head hunting?

It's also 15 years later. We know a lot more. And we should be a lot wiser.

Yes, his head was down and his teammate didn't do him any favors. its not head hunting, it was a clean hit. Umberger committed a cardinal sin, especially in a playoff game.

Scott Stevens was a head hunter, ask Eric Lindros.

Yes, youth hockey players do it. I've witnessed it.

I went looking for a GDT of this game, but I can't seem to find it.  I did find this by @LabattBlue:

https://www.sabrespace.com/community/topic/2886-stanley-cup-playoffs-begin/?do=findComment&comment=21496

"- Folks will still be talking about that Campbell hit 20 years from now."

It looks like we were using IRC to chat during the games at that point.  And since I used to log everything, and I'm a digital hoarder, I still have it.  Here are some quotes from that game:

"<ChileanSeaBass> you don't like to see anyone get killed like that, but that was a pretty hit"

"<Alaska_Darin> Nothing wrong with that hit.  Nothing wrong with the Flyers being pissed, either."

"<NavyBillsFan> We are comin live from the Philly medical room....  Mr. Umberger, how do you feel after that crushing hit?    Who Dat... Who Dare?????"

"<Alaska_Darin> They got the best performance he's ever given and they still got beat - and they got the wind taken out of their sales when Umberger decided he was going to spend the rest of the evening breathing through his mouth."

"<PromoTheRobot> Umberger ...that's right...he's done for the series
<PromoTheRobot> concussion for sure!"  [note: If I remember right, Umberger only missed 1 game]

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.