Faceoffs don't really matter

LGR4GM

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I am absolutely positive that a team's overall FO% has no impact on a team's goal diff for that game. Did we really need some guy who wants to feel smart tell us that to know it?

But.

There are face-offs that matter. There are face-offs that don't.

Winning certain FOs may help you win. Losing others won't mean you lose.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

In a game where puck possession is important winning the draw to gain possession is pretty important. That being said once you lose possession winning that particular faceoff now doesn’t matter. Certainly in overtime where its basically playing keep away and teams sometimes keep possession the entire overtime or until they score.

Basically what Swamp said

Edited by bunomatic
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, bunomatic said:

Cousins couldn’t win a draw tonight to save his life. Good thing it doesn’t matter. 

I could be wrong, but I think he lost every single draw. 

otherwise, this notion is a perfect example of how stats can tell you anything and also nothing. The overtime example is a good one. Face offs make a huge difference in the 3 on 3. It's all about which draws and when. 

• Like (+1) 3

I do think that there is potential here and obviously coach Granato has a ton of things to address with the team after taking over as they were a complete 100% mess. having said that faceoffs are something they can work at but we can all agree we can see a huge difference already and this is for sure a work in progress and will take time.  Boston has very good centers and are playing real well right now so this is a big test but losing 0-2 and being in the game and giving the Bruins all they could handle I think was pretty darn good. Tired of negative...we have had that too long! Let's look at the positive side...team is young and obviously with good coaching these young guys have improved and will continue to do so including working on faceoffs...  

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Need to see the actual numbers there.  That chart is basically unreadable.  It actually looks like that chart was made to look pretty, not give me useful information.

Whats the difference in goal differential between a team winning 60% and on winning 40%?  I can’t tell from the chart, but from the looks of it, I would say it’s 0.25 goals, maybe close to 0.50 goals.  That’s not nothing.  This chart looks like it’s telling me that FO% matters a little bit.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 2

If nothing else, faceoffs are a big deal at the start of a PP.   The team on the PP is gifted an o-zone faceoff to start the PP.  Win the faceoff, you setup your PP and go.  Lose that same faceoff, the puck is cleared, and probably 20-30 seconds are off the penalty time by the time you are set back up in the opposing teams end. 

If I'm looking at the chart (and the blue line in it) correctly, it shows that winning faceoffs DO matter, just not by a large margin.  

As others have said, faceoffs might not mean MUCH, but if you had a choice of winning them or not...you always want to take winning them.  Maybe the whole point is that it isn't worth playing a player who is a worse overall player just because he is somewhat good at faceoffs compared to your other options.

I think faceoffs vary in value.

Defensive Zone faceoffs, especially on the PK, are rather important as you can kill 15 to 25 seconds with a win a clear.

Offensive Zone faceoffs, especially on PP, are of some importance as it allows you to control the puck in the offensive zone immediately.

Neutral Zone Faceoffs are practically worthless barring very specific circumstances.

3v3 Faceoffs are Vital

Effectively if you only win 35% of the total draws; yet win 65% of the D-zone draws then you likely have a better chance of winning. Offensive draws are useful in many circumstances but rarely hurt you, but can help you. Neutral Zone draws rarely mean much of anything as neither team can typically score or gain a large advantage through winning it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.