Dalton Smith is a must call-up vs. Bruins

dejeanneret

It's our Boston playoff series week (and another 2-spot the following weekend). Let's play like it. Up the intensity, up the ante. This team doesn't need Dalton Smith. It needs to keep doing what it's been doing. Tage got beatdown by Miller, but he stuck his nose in there anyway. It needs Caggiula to show his speed and all-out-attack. It needs Casey and Victor and Bjork to keep being relentless on the forecheck. It needs Miller, Samuelsson, and Risto to keep laying hits on anyone at hand. And most importantly, it needs our team to band together when the time comes. That means if someone runs Dahlin (and he, Bryson, and Joker will have huge targets on them to get our puck-movers off their games) we address it immediately. If that means Dahlin gets up and starts wailing for the first time in his life, so be it. Or Reinhart jumping in as he used to do when Eichel would get blindsided. They'll try to bully us and get us to check out (which under RaKru we would have). Don't check out, don't back down. They wanna go, we don't care. The Bruins want to risk suspensions and injuries and put a damper on their playoffs? We don't care. We're going to spoil their playoffs this week and next. That's our goal. They're going to miss the playoffs and then Hall's #1 fortune is going to run out on them. It's time for the Bruins to end.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

This would be dumb. Bruins see us doing that and the message will be obvious and it'll be open season on our entire team. Dalton can't take on a whole team. Better to try to draw penalties and beat them with speed. 

There's no question we need to be a tougher team for long term success, but calling up one goon ain't going to do that. He'd just take dumb penalties and get laughed at. 

Agree.  Dalton will just attract the Bruins to play a game we can’t win.  

The important thing is not winning the fight.  It’s fighting the fight.  Give Irwin and Tage kudos for being willing to engage their two beasts (circa 20’s).  Three game series, we can’t back down, but bringing in Dalton for game #1 is actually instigating and is not smart in todays NHL.

We fought their two toughest guys and WE are still standing.  We should just play our game.   They are not special. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

We fought their two toughest guys and WE are still standing.  We should just play our game.   They are not special. 

Tinordi and Frederic are their two toughest guys. Just about anyone on the Bruins will drop the gloves, except for Hall. If Boston wants to push the Sabres around, they will and they know we have no one to step up. Boston will dictate how these games are played, not Buffalo, as much as they might try. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

Tinordi and Frederic are their two toughest guys. Just about anyone on the Bruins will drop the gloves, except for Hall. If Boston wants to push the Sabres around, they will and they know we have no one to step up. Boston will dictate how these games are played, not Buffalo, as much as they might try. 

I just love the narrative that the team that wins the fights gets to decide how the games are played

3 hours ago, drnkirishone said:

I just love the narrative that the team that wins the fights gets to decide how the games are played

I didn't say anything about fighting making the difference. The Bruins are a much tougher/ physical team and they will push the Sabres all around the ice if they wanna play that way. Don't have to be any fights at all.

12 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

I didn't say anything about fighting making the difference. The Bruins are a much tougher/ physical team and they will push the Sabres all around the ice if they wanna play that way. Don't have to be any fights at all.

I knew what you meant. Everyone forgets the playoff battles year to year around here and has an unhealthy dislike for anything gritty. We don’t need tough guys but we do need our skilled guys to have some sandpaper. we might beat the Bruins this week with a display of skill and skill alone. I’m hopeful but I’d rather we beat them with skill and a healthy dose of good clean hits and snarl. Lucic on Miller is still a stain on this franchise. I guess we’ll see these next series of games what plays out.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

I'm sorry but what did you mean by "anyone on the Bruins except Hall will drop the gloves"? Certainly sounds like the Bruins will do what they want because they will beat us up.

28 minutes ago, drnkirishone said:

I'm sorry but what did you mean by "anyone on the Bruins except Hall will drop the gloves"? Certainly sounds like the Bruins will do what they want because they will beat us up.

I mean they have a totally different mentality than a lot of teams. Most teams have 2 or 3 guys that will fight if need be. Almost everyone on the Bruins will drop the gloves if need be. I'm not saying they will go around and beat everyone up, but if they wanna play tough they can. They can also play a finesse style if they want. Not sure if that clears anything up for you. I'm having a hard time explaining it for some reason. 

38 minutes ago, drnkirishone said:

so playing tough means winning a fight with the other team? Kinda sounds like the narrative that I said.

Anyone can throw a body check, anyone can play the body. That is what playing tough should mean. You do not have to fight someone to play tough.

Isn't about throwing body checks. It is about puck pursuit and tenacity. 

7 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

See: Broad Street Bullies, 1970’s 

Weird thing was in the mid-70's the Habs pretty much owned the Phlyers; not to the same degree the Phlyers owned the Sabres, but close. All 3 tied in points in '75, but Filly got 1st, Buffalo 2nd, & the Habs 3rd.

That order of finish pretty much dictated who would win the SC.  Filly won it all by getting the Aisles in the Semis & getting Buffalo in the Finals.  But, if Moe-ray-all had been 1st, they'd've beat Filly in the Finals.  And if Buffalo would've been 1st, they've beat Moe-ray-all in the Finals.  The Aisles worked playoff magic that year, but couldn't quite pull off the comeback and likely would've also lost to Buffalo or the Habs.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Weird thing was in the mid-70's the Habs pretty much owned the Phlyers; not to the same degree the Phlyers owned the Sabres, but close. All 3 tied in points in '75, but Filly got 1st, Buffalo 2nd, & the Habs 3rd.

That order of finish pretty much dictated who would win the SC.  Filly won it all by getting the Aisles in the Semis & getting Buffalo in the Finals.  But, if Moe-ray-all had been 1st, they'd've beat Filly in the Finals.  And if Buffalo would've been 1st, they've beat Moe-ray-all in the Finals.  The Aisles worked playoff magic that year, but couldn't quite pull off the comeback and likely would've also lost to Buffalo or the Habs.

Those Bullies redefined hockey for quite a long time. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.