Dalton Smith is a must call-up vs. Bruins

dejeanneret

This team has a lot of young stars on the rise.  They are playing free, and they are playing fast. 

The Bruins and their gritty players will look once again to run them over, slow them down, and put their heads on a swivel.  Unlike years past where you may have one game vs a team, this is a 3 game series back to back to back with Boston.  After what happened last game, with players like Tage and Irwin getting owned in fights, Sabres need a competent guy that can make the Bruins accountable if they try the cheap stuff.

Adding Samuelsson is a bonus, but you can't expect a rookie to start stepping up and taking on guys. Risto is a hitter, but he hasn't gotten in a fight this year and I don't see him being the answer either.   I can see Cozens stepping in and taking on that role, but it's a lot for a young player to carry that on his shoulders.

For me its a no brainer, you need to call up Dalton Smith.  He's a proven fighter who can step in and take on your Miller's and Tinordi's.  It's just something the Sabres need to do.  Enough is enough getting our butts kicked.  Time to bring in a guy that can embrace the role of enforcer.

• Like (+1) 2

This would be dumb. Bruins see us doing that and the message will be obvious and it'll be open season on our entire team. Dalton can't take on a whole team. Better to try to draw penalties and beat them with speed. 

There's no question we need to be a tougher team for long term success, but calling up one goon ain't going to do that. He'd just take dumb penalties and get laughed at. 

• Like (+1) 4

why is it anytime we talk about a physical team we have to default to bring up the fighter? What you do with the bruins is you take the body every time you are close to one of them. Take away the time and space. If they start with the cheap shots, you start with stick work along the boards

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, drnkirishone said:

why is it anytime we talk about a physical team we have to default to bring up the fighter? What you do with the bruins is you take the body every time you are close to one of them. Take away the time and space. If they start with the cheap shots, you start with stick work along the boards

More specifically you finish your checks on their D. You watch any good team take on the Bruins and the main thing they do is hit McAvoy and the other D men as often as they can. 

It's going to be tough. I watched them take on Washington and sad to say Hall has that second line going. 

5 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

This is what happens when you have little grit in your lineup.  Someone wants an AHL goon brought up.  Fix the roster problem by mixing in more NHL players with grit, and then no one will suggest the extreme alternative.

The players in the line-up need to learn how to deal with the rougher game.  The playoffs are undeniably more physical, so they had better get used to it.  I look at these games as a way to separate the wheat from the chaff.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Not needed, after all the Sabres have Risto in the lineup to provide physicality.

I know you're being sarcastic, but he had a few nice hits yesterday (and received one, too).  McCabe coming back will help, too.

I suppose this thread was inevitable.

Labatt Blue is correct.  One of the roster changes needed is some additional grit to push back against teams like Boston.

Having said that, if Dalton Smith had at least Eakins level of hockey in him he’d already be up.  But he doesn’t, and we don’t need a pylon making things more difficult for this team.

• Like (+1) 3

58 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

This is what happens when you have little grit in your lineup.  Someone wants an AHL goon brought up.  Fix the roster problem by mixing in more NHL players with grit, and then no one will suggest the extreme alternative.

Among other traits Mitts has added to his game, I've noticed some grit.  He's got good size for an NHL center and has learned how to use the size he's got to maximum effect (as opposed to Tage who still has a lot to learn).

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Among other traits Mitts has added to his game, I've noticed some grit.  He's got good size for an NHL center and has learned how to use the size he's got to maximum effect (as opposed to Tage who still has a lot to learn).

Thompson needs to put weight on, too.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.