How good or bad is this team really?

dudacek

Who are the real Sabres?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Who are the real Sabres?

• A bad team that needs core players moved and significant additions in order to compete for the playoffs next year
    • An emerging team that can compete for the playoffs next year with good goaltending, tweaks and the right coach

56 minutes ago, Weave said:

My gut says they are still a bad team and it's our lowered standards that are saying otherwise.

I'd go we're a middle of the road team. With goaltending upgrade and development of our younger guys......a good team.

• Like (+1) 2

It's potentially a developing team but it still has a long way to go.

Consider that Bjork, a guy who was critiqued in Boston for his defensive play and played his way out of the line up is one of our best defensive forwards. We have some solid potential now, and a better effort level, but a lot of things would have to go right for the playoffs to be a reality and a lot of the guys trending up would have to get even better.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Probably a fringe playoff team, like we were last season. But since last season we've added or will add quality in Middlestat, Tage, Asplund, Cozens, Quinn, top 3 pick this season... if we can get goaltending straightened out, could be a competitive team next season.

We weren't really a fringe playoff team last year, agree on GT

2 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

we missed the playoffs by 3 points and we had 2 games in hand over Montreal , who beat us for the final spot, when the season ended.  That's pretty darn close to fringe.

I know, but the implied connotation of "fringe playoff team" is ~16-20 in the league. High 80s low 90s over 82 games. We were a fringe "top 24" team - doesn't really mean anything in a normal year

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Didn't they also acquire another goalie after they got him? I bet he just doesn't see a lot of shots for them. They are a very good team. 

If Pittsburgh had him in net yesterday instead of Jarry, we would of won 

He got a shutout and check out his save percentage. Yes, Colorado is a very good team but they saw something in Johansson they liked and they are using him. People on this blog wanted him on the first bus out of this city. Just goes to show you what a well coached and decent organisation can do for someone. I don't think this guy is a bust and I think Linus is an NHL starting goaltender. He will test free agency as is his right and I can't blame him. Tokarski, by the way, is an excellent back up goaltender and can give you quality starts as well. Saw him play for the Hamilton Bulldogs several times and he is very good. Has won a couple of championships in his minor league career as well. I would sign him as the back up and if we lose Linus, then we will definitely need a number 1.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Good team.  Bad teams don’t beat playoff bound Pitt 4-2 when Pitt is desperate for points snd we have our 3rd string goalie in net.

Yes they can. Not saying we are bad, but I don't think we are "good" yet, and the tank Sabres beat excellent teams while playing with worse rosters than this on occasion.

• Like (+1) 1

It's interesting that these last ten games have gone so well. Without Krueger, Staal, Hutton, Montour, Hall and Eichel. Maybe all those guys are a drag on the team, despite the skill.

Edited by Kong
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eman said:

He got a shutout and check out his save percentage. Yes, Colorado is a very good team but they saw something in Johansson they liked and they are using him. People on this blog wanted him on the first bus out of this city. Just goes to show you what a well coached and decent organisation can do for someone. I don't think this guy is a bust and I think Linus is an NHL starting goaltender. He will test free agency as is his right and I can't blame him. Tokarski, by the way, is an excellent back up goaltender and can give you quality starts as well. Saw him play for the Hamilton Bulldogs several times and he is very good. Has won a couple of championships in his minor league career as well. I would sign him as the back up and if we lose Linus, then we will definitely need a number 1.

What would you offer Linus as a contract right now? I was all set to throw money at him for more than a few years, but not now. His injury history worries me. 

Any opinion on this  Jesper Wallstedt who is going to be drafted this year? 

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Yes they can. Not saying we are bad, but I don't think we are "good" yet, and the tank Sabres beat excellent teams while playing with worse rosters than this on occasion.

This team is 5-3-2 in it’s last 10.  That’s a 98 pt pace over 82 games.  They are doing it without their top center (injured), a top 6 LW (Hall), their best defensive D (McCabe) and now without their top 2 goalies (injured).  They moved their top RW to center are featuring 5 players who started the year on the taxi squad or in the minors (Mitts, Asplund, R2, Togarski, and Bryson) and 2 guys who saw limited action under RK in Thompson and Cozens.  This is now a good team that will continue to get better.

They’ve always been a fringe playoff team. Goaltending killed any hope this season. It also became absurdly clear the coaching was holding them back big time if it was still any debate. Krueger may do good for tournaments, but once he was figured out it was all over. 

Thankfully the rot wasn’t so deep it couldn’t be cleaned out. Some guys are having major major rebounds. 

Add Ullmark and Eichel and see what this team does. Girgensons and a healthy defense and we’re competing. 

If they can keep the band together this off season I wouldn’t change a whole lot. Biggest gap is the fourth line. Benching Eakin isn’t a big money loss.

Edited by triumph_communes

Hall and Staal were huge drags on the team.   Okposo is too, he tries hard, but he's slow and looses every race.  

This is probably the fastest team we've had in Buffalo in years.   Best I've seen their transition game in a long time.

Ullmark coming back helped and now Tokarski is playing well.    

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This team is 5-3-2 in it’s last 10.  That’s a 98 pt pace over 82 games.  They are doing it without their top center (injured), a top 6 LW (Hall), their best defensive D (McCabe) and now without their top 2 goalies (injured).  They moved their top RW to center are featuring 5 players who started the year on the taxi squad or in the minors (Mitts, Asplund, R2, Togarski, and Bryson) and 2 guys who saw limited action under RK in Thompson and Cozens.  This is now a good team that will continue to get better.

I wholehearted agree with you that the Sabres have assembled enough talent to compete and in the not too distant future be considered a serious team. As you pointed out the underutilization of players such as Thompson, Cozens and for different reasons Skinner is an example of squandering the talents you already have.  Where I have a little different perspective on your take is your "what if" about injuries. Usually, all teams have to contend with losing players due to injuries in a long and grinding season. And because of the Covid issue it is even more of a factor because of the compressed schedule. And what shouldn't be forgotten is that this virus era has put this team in an even more challenging conference.

What we are seeing now is that the talent in the system has started to percolate up to the point that the pool of players to draw from is larger than it has been in a long time. Next year, we will be seeing players competing for positions and roles. And that will enhance the pool of NHL ready players to draw from when the inevitable injuries happen. The future looks bright. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, eman said:

4 games. 2 against Anaheim. Books still out on Johansson especially once teams adjust to him in that conference. I wish him well though. 

• Like (+1) 1

Always felt goaltending and the coach was the only issue entering the season.  

We might have solved both.

Couple that with the development and play of kids I thought wouldn't make it, I'll just say I feel much better about the team. 

Plus Adams adding to his staff and I get the sense Pegula is finally figured out he needs to gtfo of the way.  

Jack Eichel is now the biggest question going forward.  

Is he the Captain of this team in more then just title?

More importantly, are we concerned about this injury?  

Oh yea and that MNC that kicks in.    

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.