GDT The Rematch Pittsburgh at Buffalo 4/18/21 3pm MSG/WGR 550

Brawndo

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

THIS.  I've been trying to figure out who Bryson reminds me of.  I think it's Brian Campbell.  A good, physical coverage defenseman with unexpected flashes of offensive acumen.

He might even skate better than Campbell, and that's saying somethin'.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

On wgr between periods 1 and 2 they talked about how Granato practices far different than Krueger. Correcting mistakes, pushing pace, and making them work hard. Apparently Krueger ran a lax practice. 

He also said after first game and loss, "Well i told the guys to go out there and have fun and that i wouldnt coach them, it had been a long time without hockey"

fkn moron is what he is.

• Like (+1) 1

Did Eakin get a shift after that horrid play where he was stripped from behind while carrying the puck out of our zone? I don't remember seeing him again after that. Box score had him marked for just 5:55. (I think I know who's gonna sit when Caggiula comes in!)

Samuelsson was fine, but I am struggling to remember the last time I saw a Sabre manhandling bodies in front and along the board's like that. Risto is a physical force and Bogo could be, but Mattias just seemed to have this natural Andre the Giant strength that made him able to move move bodies without even having to resort to violence. Also, those who say size doesn't matter should try to skate around big #54. That's a lot of real estate in those legs and arms.

If you watched Sam Reinhart's anticipation, execution and competitive focus tonight and came away unimpressed, I don't know what to say. He was a step ahead of everyone tonight. 19 minutes and it felt like a lot of them were against Crosby.

Bjork? Still seeing Girgensons there. It's not a bad thing.

Tokarski makes me nervous as hell, but my god does he battle his ass off. I think he's another example of where size does matter, because he lets in shots from a distance, or by failing to close up to the post in a way bigger goalies don't.

I am so happy to see the return of Henri Jokiharju. He can read the game so well and he should be allowed to trust his instincts.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The Cozens line dominated against Washington. Mitts is more consistent I think but Cozens has a gear.

Both playing well though is good news for us. 

And the 2 year gap between them, too. I think it's pretty likely Cozens becomes the better player

9 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The kids progressing like this is just what we needed.

I just can't stop looking at the first goal, its just such a beauty , speed and finish.

How many times this season have we had a two on one and flubbed it up big time.  

• Like (+1) 3

My observations of the game and this thread:

• RJ was brought up a radio guy, he sees and calls a game via that, Dan D. was brought up a TV guy, he's not going to call it the same way
  • As for Matt S the new LD, after playing college and this years AHL and then you get Crosby and the Pens, who wouldn't have his head in a spin once in awhile, sometimes size matters he just a different cat that we've seen around here in some time. I'd rather have him than Irwin
  • The epitome of XHCRK incompetence isn't just that the younger guys are playing freer than before it's Dahlin. You don't take a thoroughbred and teach him how to run. You just tell him where to start. Examples McDavid, Jack, MacKinnon, Crosby you don't tell these guys how to play just where to line up. Same with Dahlin, go to LD and go play, that kid is nothing short of spectacular, I hear how good Makar is or Heiskanen, yes they're good at what they do but Dahlin sees and plays like no D-man since Orr. You don't over coach this kid, you just throw him out there and let him figure it out. Stick handling and passing that only comes from being touched by the gods. 
  • Some guys are good interviews some guys just aren't. Some guys do well pre-game some guys do better post-game, Sam never was a good interview, who really cares if he is or isn't. Interview someone else. Plus most of those questions you could get from a grammar school kid instead of a professional sports writer/ newsman.
  • DG is growing on me, it's his job to lose at this point
  • I keep hearing from some that there's major changes coming with the roster, who you going to get rid of now that they're playing really well and the 18 game winless streak is in the rearview mirror??
  •  
Edited by jsb

28 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I really like that this vid keeps showing up after wins

The social media intern is a "Granato for Head Coach" fan.

10 minutes ago, inkman said:

How many times this season have we had a two on one and flubbed it up big time.  

Yep.  The Krueger Sabres had zero killer instinct, either on individual plays or in games.

24 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

The social media intern is a "Granato for Head Coach" fan.

Yep.  The Krueger Sabres had zero killer instinct, either on individual plays or in games.

The players always seemed to hesitate as they were going to make a mistake and be punished by the almighty RaKru. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, inkman said:

The players always seemed to hesitate as they were going to make a mistake and be punished by the almighty RaKru. 

That was one of the most obvious and awful things about the RaKru team -- and all of last year, too. When another team pushed back, or turned it on for 5 minutes, or got a goal to tie the game...  we had no response. We'd fold. Ullmark could sometimes save us, but we didn't as a team simply shrug off the problem and battle through it. 

That is another heartening thing about Sunday's game (these past few weeks, actually). We give up the shutout. Whoops. And now, immediately afterward, Pitt gets a power play. Under RaKru -- we're giving up a PP goal and ahead only 3-2 and lapsing back into full on Death Star mode and waiting for them to tie it. Instead, it was an easy kill, and we arguably carried play the rest of the way until 20 seconds to go.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Haha maybe. That’s just a reply to the official account, though 

Oh... I don't twit very well.

Actually, I have some Bobecks in my family.  I wonder if he's related to them?  (One of my dad's cousins married a Bobeck.)

Edited by Doohickie
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, inkman said:

And by punished, you mean having to listen to motivational counseling for two hours.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

I can’t believe it’s the year 2021 and people still think interns go anywhere near a professional sports team’s social media accounts.

Who's posting during games? "Yay! We just tied it up!" doesn't come off as your VP for Creative Content or whatever PSE calls it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.