GDT The Rematch Pittsburgh at Buffalo 4/18/21 3pm MSG/WGR 550

Brawndo

Rick called a whale of a game. Better performance, better calls, funny how that works. He's so comfortable in his own skin. I think he's beyond trying to be the Rick of old. He doesn't get tangled up when he realizes he doesn't know an opponent's name. Like an old defenseman, he plays a simple game. "Pittsburgh holds it in." Miscues? Sure, a few. You just have to laugh at them.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Rick called a whale of a game. Better performance, better calls, funny how that works. He's so comfortable in his own skin. I think he's beyond trying to be the Rick of old. He doesn't get tangled up when he realizes he doesn't know an opponent's name. Like an old defenseman, he plays a simple game. "Pittsburgh holds it in." Miscues? Sure, a few. You just have to laugh at them.

I had to listen to the first half of the game during a car ride, and he reminded me of what I used to fall asleep listening to as a kid. 

Great job today by RJ. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

On wgr between periods 1 and 2 they talked about how Granato practices far different than Krueger. Correcting mistakes, pushing pace, and making them work hard. Apparently Krueger ran a lax practice. 

This was well documented.  You could see it in the poor passing and the poor 3rd periods. Granato spent as much time as he could working them harder in practice to get them to play a full game.  

I wonder how Granato ever lasted on RK’S staff given the differences in their approach on how to utilize the players.  . 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Radar said:

Don't know what Granato is doing but this is such a change!

I think it begins with DG actually understanding the game of hockey as it's played in the NHL. 

4 hours ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

It took 6 years, but I officially have a man crush on Sam Reinhart 

Reino is the only current Sabre I have a jersey for.  Not even Eichel.  Just Reinhart.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Mostly unremarkable, which is what you want from a Dman in his first game.  He's gotta improve his foot speed.  He did make a few excellent checks, including one right in front of the net that negated a scoring chance.

I was impressed with his size & strength for being so young. A solid dude who will clear anyone who tries to get in front of the net.  Yes, I was also impressed with his calm/not panicked play. Looked mature beyond his babyness. Excited to see his future unfold. He and Borgen will be solid "stay at home" yet excellent puck-moving defensemen (especially that first pass out of the zone).  Bright days ahead.

I had company tonight for dinner. My sons were over, we watched the game while I created a Sicilian masterpiece in the  kitchen.  

Very pleased with the progress Granato has made.   These kids don’t make excuses.  The play of Mitts, Tage, the Rasmi, the Joker and the midnight Toker.  Good to see Sam and Skinner playing hard with them.  

nice win. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, inkman said:

Alright.  When did the beef between Sam and Paul Hamilton escalate to this level?  Just outright dismissive in the post game to Paul’s ‘question’. 

I read that as Reino really was exhausted and wasn't in the mood to talk.  Maybe there's something going with PHam as well, but he didn't seem totally there in the postgame.

I think he misses his pal Jack to be honest.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

You don't think we'd miss the teams leading goal scorer? And best rw when Jack's around?

Baby Reaction GIF

This is a good GIF lol

23 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

15 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I had to listen to the first half of the game during a car ride, and he reminded me of what I used to fall asleep listening to as a kid. 

Great job today by RJ. 

Waxed the car today with the game on the radio, and also noticed how good Rick was

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Yeah his skating returning to the dzone was cringe worthy.  He needs to put some work in, during the off-season.  

And if Donny Baggadonuts is the coach next year, he'll turn him into a skater if he's not already one when he gets to camp.  The most obvious change since Granato took over is the conditioning of the players.  If he feels Samuelsson isn't fast enough, he'll skate him hard in practice until he is.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Jävə Keith said:

I was impressed with his size & strength for being so young. A solid dude who will clear anyone who tries to get in front of the net.  Yes, I was also impressed with his calm/not panicked play. Looked mature beyond his babyness. Excited to see his future unfold. He and Borgen will be solid "stay at home" yet excellent puck-moving defensemen (especially that first pass out of the zone).  Bright days ahead.

Out of the recent adds, I think Bryson is the one that excites me the most.  He's very, very fast on the rush.  I could see him being the puck carrier on the power play; I don't think I've ever seen a Dman move so freakin' fast up ice with the puck.  Dahlin does it, but with maneuverability.  Bryson is just freakin fast.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Waxed the car today with the game on the radio, and also noticed how good Rick was

IMHO - if I can only listen (vs. watch) a game, with Rick I can easily picture the play in my mind just based on his words.  I'm sorry that I can't say the same with Dan D.  I'm sure he's a good guy, but without a television, I cannot follow the play at all listening to him.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, inkman said:

Alright.  When did the beef between Sam and Paul Hamilton escalate to this level?  Just outright dismissive in the post game to Paul’s ‘question’. 

I will sound like an old curmudgeon but I’ll say it. Sam had a very good game.  I am pleased with his play this season and his late season contribution with all the young guys.  His interview really left me wanting in the leadership department.   I get that he had issues with Hamilton, but I was looking for enthusiasm and forward moving statements about the team. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Very nice win today, although as I posted in a different new thread I found Reino's demeanor concerning.

Good for Toker.  He's making a bid for another NHL backup gig somewhere. 

As @PASabreFan noted upthread, Bryson has been a revelation.  I saw some Brian Campbell in him today.

I thought Mattias looked green, but that he could develop into a good NHL defenseman.  He's not there yet though.

That Cozens-R2 goal was thrilling.

It's nice to enjoy watching the Sabres again.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I will sound like an old curmudgeon but I’ll say it. Sam had a very good game.  I am pleased with his play this season and his late season contribution with all the young guys.  His interview really left me wanting in the leadership department.   I get that he had issues with Hamilton, but I was looking for enthusiasm and forward moving statements about the team. 

I'm with you brother curmudgeon!

Leadership has been wanting - actually vapid on our beloved team.  I believe that is the problem with Jack as our Captain. He has shown zero leadership skill sets. Elite hockey skill sets, but that does not a leader make. 

My biggest desire for the offseason is for management to bring in a proven LEADER of a team who can wear the C for a year or two and mentor those precious skill sets in our next Captain (Probably Cozens).

That is why I could live with an Eichel trade (assuming a solid return on asset). If he stays on the team, but gets his C taken away to give to a new vet leader we bring in, how could it not sour his already questionable attitude. It would take an extremely mature man to handle that well.

(But that's probably a topic for another thread)

Go Sabres!

Edited by Jävə Keith
  • Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

His interview really left me wanting in the leadership department

I thought Reinhart was being a total jerk. I get that you don't like them personally, but there are a lot of fans tuning in to hear something better than that. 

Deal with it off camera instead.

• Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, Jävə Keith said:

I'm with you brother curmudgeon!

Leadership has been wanting - actually vapid on our beloved team.  I believe that is the problem with Jack as our Captain. He has shown zero leadership skill sets. Elite hockey skill sets, but that does not a leader make. 

My biggest desire for the offseason is for management to bring in a proven LEADER of a team who can wear the C for a year or two and mentor those precious skill sets in our next Captain (Probably Cozens).

That is why I could live with an Eichel trade (assuming a solid return on asset). If he stays on the team, but gets his C taken away to give to a new vet leader we bring in, how could it not sour his already questionable attitude. It would take an extremely mature man to handle that well.

(But that's probably a topic for another thread)

Go Sabres!

Ok.  But why not keep Eichel and assign another Captain if we have a player more worthy?  Can Eichel even handle that?  

I remember when Gare was given the C that Schoeny wore with pride. Everyone was shocked.  Especially when Schoeny remained on the team and wore an A.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

As @PASabreFan noted upthread, Bryson has been a revelation.  I saw some Brian Campbell in him today.

I thought Mattias looked green, but that he could develop into a good NHL defenseman.  He's not there yet though.

That Cozens-R2 goal was thrilling.

It's nice to enjoy watching the Sabres again.

Re:  Bryson... is this the post you meant?  And are you confusing me with PA?  😮

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Out of the recent adds, I think Bryson is the one that excites me the most.  He's very, very fast on the rush.  I could see him being the puck carrier on the power play; I don't think I've ever seen a Dman move so freakin' fast up ice with the puck.  Dahlin does it, but with maneuverability.  Bryson is just freakin fast.

I thought Samuelsson looked like he was in his first NHL game.  I saw nothing that would make me hesitate play him in his second NHL game.  I'd call him a mature prospect; the only thing he lacks is NHL experience.

Cozens-R2:  No doubt about it, for as much as RFK repressed this team's talent, Granato has brought it to full blossom.  I was starting to think we'd never see the Sabres play like they did 15 years ago, but suddenly, very suddenly, here we are.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Jävə Keith said:

If he stays on the team, but gets his C taken away to give to a new vet leader we bring in

We've never seen Jack play under a Granato-coached Sabres team.  I wouldn't take it away from him until I saw that.  I think with Jack it's been a case of publicly supporting management and coaching that frankly sucked.  I want to see Jack captain a Sabres squad that is playing under Granato's system and tutelage before I take the C away.  I kind of think Jack will appreciate Granato's system and will be a much more enthusiastic leader.  And if Jack is happy and the team is playing meaningful games, SAM REINHART WILL BE FINE.

Like it or not, Jack is the vet leader.  McCabe is the vet leader.  Okposo is the vet leader.  It sucks that all three are hurt right now.

So the mantel falls to Reino, Risto and... do we have 3rd A yet?  Checking... no, not today.  I think Granato will give Casey and A.

My prediction for next year:  Jack will continue with the C, Risto will retain the A even with McCabe back, and Casey will have an A.

If you doubt Jack as Captain, let me just point out that we haven't seen Eichel play for Granato.  I predict he will be rejuvenated just like the rest of the team has been and he will will excel as Captain.  He's had to be the face of a shitshow for so long that when he's actually the leader of well-run, winning team he will just glow in the role.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Very nice win today, although as I posted in a different new thread I found Reino's demeanor concerning.

Good for Toker.  He's making a bid for another NHL backup gig somewhere. 

Which part

penny marshall animated gif GIF by TV Land Classic

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.