GDT The Rematch Pittsburgh at Buffalo 4/18/21 3pm MSG/WGR 550

Brawndo

17 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

How did Samuelsson look?

Mostly unremarkable, which is what you want from a Dman in his first game.  He's gotta improve his foot speed.  He did make a few excellent checks, including one right in front of the net that negated a scoring chance.

13 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

He’s getting the job.

I think he's rapidly moving to frontrunner position.  They could fall of the table as a team and his fortunes would fall accordingly, but if the play we've seen continues, he's the frontrunner.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

Alright.  When did the beef between Sam and Paul Hamilton escalate to this level?  Just outright dismissive in the post game to Paul’s ‘question’. 

He absolutely slammed the door on Paul in another post game earlier this season. I forget what the question was but it was the usual Hammy BS and Sam wasn't having it. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, inkman said:

Alright.  When did the beef between Sam and Paul Hamilton escalate to this level?  Just outright dismissive in the post game to Paul’s ‘question’. 

They've had some beef since ROR was still here because Reinhart stopped going to ROR's after practice "practices" 

5 minutes ago, inkman said:

It started either last year or the year before. He has basically ignored P. Ham for quite a while. 

40 minutes ago, inkman said:

I think it was last season or maybe the season before. Paul accused him of giving up on an opposing breakaway that led to a score. It looked like sam was going to punch him right in the mouth 

52 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It started either last year or the year before. He has basically ignored P. Ham for quite a while. 

I loved it.  I hope it never stops.  

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Mostly unremarkable, which is what you want from a Dman in his first game.  He's gotta improve his foot speed.  He did make a few excellent checks, including one right in front of the net that negated a scoring chance.

Yeah his skating returning to the dzone was cringe worthy.  He needs to put some work in, during the off-season.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

@LGR4GM Mitts’ line is better then Cozens’ right now.  Mitts is also better right now.  That doesn't mean that Cozens won’t be eventually be better, but clearly Granato believes he is better and is playing that way.  The results also confirm it.  That said what a great goal by R2 and Cozens to start the game.

The Cozens line dominated against Washington. Mitts is more consistent I think but Cozens has a gear.

Both playing well though is good news for us. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The Cozens line dominated against Washington. Mitts is more consistent I think but Cozens has a gear.

Both playing well though is good news for us. 

Between Mitts, Cozens and Reinhart, I think we have are 2C and 3C going forward.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

On wgr between periods 1 and 2 they talked about how Granato practices far different than Krueger. Correcting mistakes, pushing pace, and making them work hard. Apparently Krueger ran a lax practice. 

Just another reason to love RK.

Our bench suddenly has so much chemistry, camaraderie and joie de hockey. Smiles, giggles, nudges, so refreshing to see.

Are Donny Meatballs and these kids finally going to pull us out of hockey hell?

Bryson's unbelievable, by the way. Down on one knee under pressure in front of his net eyes focused on the puck tapping it to his defense mate for an easy out.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Originally posted this in the wrong gameday thread.....

Actually watched this one.  First one in a long time.  They looked good.  I'm not convinced Pitt had their full intensity this afternoon, but still, they beat Pitt.  That stands for something.

Re: Sam at center.  My contention always was that Sam was not dynamic enough to primarily play center.  My opinion has not changed.  Today I saw why so many think Sam is slow, and I think it is why I saw him as not dynamic.  I don't think he's slow, but it looked to me like he slows down play at center.  I don't know if he is trying to draw defenders to him, or if he is waiting for his linemates to get to certain areas, but it seemed to me that Sam does slow down the game as he approaches and enters the offensive zone.

His goals today also convince me he is more valuable as the guy being set up, not the guy doing the setting up.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Weave said:

Originally posted this in the wrong gameday thread.....

Actually watched this one.  First one in a long time.  They looked good.  I'm not convinced Pitt had their full intensity this afternoon, but still, they beat Pitt.  That stands for something.

Re: Sam at center.  My contention always was that Sam was not dynamic enough to primarily play center.  My opinion has not changed.  Today I saw why so many think Sam is slow, and I think it is why I saw him as not dynamic.  I don't think he's slow, but it looked to me like he slows down play at center.  I don't know if he is trying to draw defenders to him, or if he is waiting for his linemates to get to certain areas, but it seemed to me that Sam does slow down the game as he approaches and enters the offensive zone.

His goals today also convince me he is more valuable as the guy being set up, not the guy doing the setting up.

He has the talent. He has the quickness. His problem is he doesn’t use it. It’s all mental. His go to move with the puck is to glide in place and then force a pass. He’s never stopping in place. He’s never skating around a player. He just slows down and glides. Sometimes it’s a good pass. Often he’s forcing junk and a turnover.

If he isn’t having fun playing dynamically with a coach letting him do whatever then I’m not sure what it will take. But if we were to trade him I don’t think he will be missed much at all. 

2 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

He has the talent. He has the quickness. His problem is he doesn’t use it. It’s all mental. His go to move with the puck is to glide in place and then force a pass. He’s never stopping in place. He’s never skating around a player. He just slows down and glides. Sometimes it’s a good pass. Often he’s forcing junk and a turnover.

If he isn’t having fun playing dynamically with a coach letting him do whatever then I’m not sure what it will take. But if we were to trade him I don’t think he will be missed much at all. 

I’ll disagree with your last sentence, and think you may be overstating the rest.  He’s a good offensive player.  He won’t be easily replaced.  Teams don’t readily let go guys that produce as consistently as he has.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

f he isn’t having fun playing dynamically with a coach letting him do whatever then I’m not sure what it will take. But if we were to trade him I don’t think he will be missed much at all. 

You don't think we'd miss the teams leading goal scorer? And best rw when Jack's around?

Baby Reaction GIF

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.