GDT The Rematch Pittsburgh at Buffalo 4/18/21 3pm MSG/WGR 550

Brawndo

1 minute ago, carpandean said:

Yeah, with as bad as things were in the first half of the season, I want them getting as many good vibes as possible in the second.  They'll lose, too, but they'll be better losses.  In the end, they dug enough of a hole that they've got some room to win before they threaten their draft position too much.

As far as the draft position, this is the year that truly there isn't much of a difference between who will go first overall and maybe 6th or 7th.  If they stay in the top 5 or 6...I have zero problem with that.

5 minutes ago, Kristian said:

For a shot at the no. 1 pick?

Nope, sorry - I want the kids to learn how to win, a heckuva lot more than another high pick.

I want them to learn how to win, and I want them to learn to LIKE it.

What? I'm saying that Granato is the coach unless this team goes south and it doesn't aooear that's happening. Don't see the connection to draft in my comment.

1 minute ago, Radar said:

What? I'm saying that Granato is the coach unless this team goes south and it doesn't aooear that's happening. Don't see the connection to draft in my comment.

Ah! Sorry, my bad, misunderstood - I thought when you said it was his job to lose, that you wanted him to keep losing 😂😂

Don’t I feel like a doofus...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

And sound positionally.  I lived watching him help out in front of our net.

I don't think he's anywhere near Eichel in terms of being able to take over a game, nor is he as savvy as Reino, but Mitts is really becoming perhaps the best *all around* forward.... I mean really good at everything.

And the stickhandling of both him and Tage have both radically improved.

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

I don't think he's anywhere near Eichel in terms of being able to take over a game, nor is he as savvy as Reino, but Mitts is really becoming perhaps the best *all around* forward.... I mean really good at everything.

And the stickhandling of both him and Tage have both radically improved.

Mitts is not close to Eichel as an all around forward at this time

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

I don't think he can make the unexpected, dazzling move that Eichel can, but he does pretty much everything else right now.

For YEARS people said that Eichel couldn't be considered elite until he proved it over a large stretch. Now Casey is basically Eichel without the unexpected dazzle? What's he going to finish in the MVP vote this year? Top 10 scorer? Fetch close to what Eichel would in a trade?

He's not close to there yet. 

42 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

How about that physical pairing of Risto and Samuelsson. 

I gotta think that Risto enjoys playing with another "banger" next to him....hell, if Mattias becomes a regular partner, Risto might come back.  I still remember him playing with Zadorov in his younger days and I really liked it!

Edited by Carmel Corn
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Watching the Granato interview.  How much fun is he having coaching the team?

There are plenty of things to criticize the former coach that don't need to be rehashed. What's obvious is obvious. Even saying that there is one thing that he did that should earn him scorn is the manner (bordering on vindictive) he went out of his way to bury Skinner. Granato has done a lot of things that are contrary to what Krueger promoted but the manner he is now utilizing Skinner is emblematic on his approach of maximizing the talents of players and managing their liabilities. 

There is a constant refrain that Skinner is a one dimensional player who isn't defensively responsible. In this game he worked as hard checking and defending as he did creating offensive changes. This player who was dispatched to the stands is now a first line player and a contributor. Krueger is a smart and worldly man who showed the world that hockey-wise he was obtuse. 

My short thoughts on this game: The Sabres had more energy than the Penguins.

Tokarski played like a #1 goalie. He was the biggest factor in our win. 

Samuelsson is freaking big. He was fundamentally sound and played with maturity. I like his game. 

The Mitts line is playing like it is our #1 line.

The players are battling and holding their own on the individual matchups. 

Bjork is not only fast but he is a worker. 

The Sabres are playing an entertaining brand of hockey. 

As a fan I am uplifted and energized. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 4

27 minutes ago, Thorny said:

For YEARS people said that Eichel couldn't be considered elite until he proved it over a large stretch. Now Casey is basically Eichel without the unexpected dazzle? What's he going to finish in the MVP vote this year? Top 10 scorer? Fetch close to what Eichel would in a trade?

He's not close to there yet. 

Dude.  Don't harsh my mellow.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.